Tattoos?

commissioned

Mar 4, 2010
✟7,614.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
If you have a battle on whether you should or not then you shouldn't. If you are not absolutely, 100% sure there is nothing wrong with getting one, then you shouldn't get one because it would be wrong to.
Well I'm having a battle of whether or not to go to college, guess I just shouldn't go to college.

Your logic is far from ideal.

Upvote 0

Aibrean

Honest. Maybe too Honest.
Mar 18, 2007
Xenia, Ohio
Visit site
✟23,379.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I'm referring to whether it would be a sin to get one.

i.e. If you think it is a sin, then it is a sin for you. The logic comes from Romans 14
"Therefore let us stop passing judgment on one another. Instead, make up your mind not to put any stumbling block or obstacle in your brother's way. As one who is in the Lord Jesus, I am fully convinced that no food is unclean in itself. But if anyone regards something as unclean, then for him it is unclean."

Upvote 0

PastorPowerPoints

PastorGraphics
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
✟7,645.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What is your opinion on tattoos? I have been thinking about getting one but I have always thought it was wrong. Some of the peole I know are really good christian people and they have tattoos...does that mean they are going to hell? What is your input on tattoos?

Good question:

The Old Testament law commanded the Israelites, “Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the LORD” (Leviticus 19:28). So, even though believers today are not under the Old Testament law (Romans 10:4; Galatians 3:23-25; Ephesians 2:15), the fact that there was a command against tattoos should raise some questions.

The New Testament does not say anything about whether or not a believer should get a tattoo.

There are many things in the old testament that are done in todays society that would be considered a sin. However times change and things that were once considered sins are now not.

I believe you go with your heart. God loves you no matter what you do.

Upvote 0

LyraJean

Mar 6, 2010
Florida
Visit site
✟8,900.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Historically, tattoos were used in prisons by prisoners to show what they have done.

Sailors used them in the past. Especially Christian sailors during the Medieval/Renaissance would get a cross tattoo on their back. This was in case they drowned at sea. If their body washed up on shore the people who found him would know he was a Christian and give him a Christian burial.

Various mafias have also used tattooing to represent themselves most notably the Yakuza of Japan. And various aborigine cultures use tattooing as status symbols and beliefs.

If you get a tattoo where it would be hidden underneath your clothing there shouldn't be a problem. Remember tattoos are rather permanent and when you age your skin changes and sags. So what you decide to get put on your skin now would you still like it in 30-40 years.

Reactions: faroukfarouk
Upvote 0

Yukikyo

On Fire!
Dec 1, 2005
United States
✟194.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I don't think its a sin per say, but I thought there was something in the Bible about marking/piercing your body unnecessarily.

Christian Tatoo's would be interesting...or if its something deeply personal like an important date, or your mothers name or something.

Personally I'm not for them, but I don't think any less of people that have them.

Upvote 0
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
✟15,198.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I say get a tatoo!! The pastor of our church is a biker and he is loaded with them. He became a pastor at a young age and got his tats after becoming a pastor. He is a bishop in the denomination that he pastors for. So, I would think that you are not going to hell for getting a tatoo. I do not have them because I am too chicken of the pain. My husband has some absolutely gorgeous ones!!

Upvote 0

Mattsanity

Jul 24, 2004
Toronto
✟343.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I say get a tatoo!! The pastor of our church is a biker and he is loaded with them. He became a pastor at a young age and got his tats after becoming a pastor. He is a bishop in the denomination that he pastors for. So, I would think that you are not going to hell for getting a tatoo. I do not have them because I am too chicken of the pain. My husband has some absolutely gorgeous ones!!

you're talking about todd bentley right?

if you're not sure about an ink or not, draw on yourself with a marker and see how it is. I did that and after deliberation, I was not comfortable getting a permanent ink.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jay217

Private In the Canadian Armed Forces
Jun 23, 2010
Southern Alberta
✟15,363.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Personally I don't like tattoos nor do i think they are good, however i know some people that are committed to god and want it as a sign to prove their Faith. So how could i or anyone else condemn somebody due to their willingness to express their faith?

It's a Personal Decision go with what you believe is best and if you doubt, I agree better not do something permanent u will regret later.

Upvote 0

Ashlantal

Not Really a Newbie Anymore
Jun 3, 2012
-----
✟8,078.00
Country
Afghanistan
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I think I'm going to get one. Pretty sure there's nothing wrong w/ it. We all know the context of the Leviticus scripture so we know it is not morally wrong to get a tattoo. That was a law specifically for the Israelites at the time due to their current circumstances.

But even then, getting one is a major decision and is something that should be taken into serious consideration. It's a permanent decision

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
L

LemonAidStand

tattoos are wrong. End of story really.

As Christians we should be trying to be as much like Christ as possible. god created us in hisn image - why would u try and change the one thing we have the most in comman with out Lord the Saviour.

Amen kathleen.. I totally agree with you.. Societies wants and wares should not be mistaken for the standard of God's approval.. When scripture clearly teaches Christ Jesus as the only "standard" acceptable to God.. we should make Jesus our standard for how we intend to live our life.. And do our best to stay on that course...

Upvote 0
L

LemonAidStand

What is your opinion on tattoos? I have been thinking about getting one but I have always thought it was wrong. Some of the peole I know are really good christian people and they have tattoos...does that mean they are going to hell? What is your input on tattoos?

Shouldn't you be more interested in what your creator thinks of tats rather than seeking after the opinions of other fallen creatures not unlike yourself. Why not judge for yourself if thats the case.. Is it rigbt for the created bei g to add touch ups to the work of his creator.. Would that not be. Scoffing at the work of that creator. It is painfully obvious to me that it is saying that i wanna make some of my own adjustments to the work you did in creating me.. That my friend is pride.. Blessings

Upvote 0

CGL1023

citizen of heaven
Jul 8, 2011
Roswell NM
✟75,781.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

I hope you don't mind a serious question. What is it about a tattoo that makes getting a tattoo attractive? Are they considered a thing of beauty? Is it a way to yield to peer pressure? Etc. etc.

For myself, I would not get a tattoo. The give me the willies. I could not think of the word that would describe my aversion to getting one.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟798,676.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What I wonder is -

why do we say we don't follow the OT laws except when it comes to this one area - tattoos?

Why do some believers avoid believers that have tattoos and think less of them because of their tattoos?

In Scripture where it says to love others, mine doesn't have an exception about treating those with tattoos with disdain, despiteful or with a superior attitude.

Last edited:
Upvote 0