Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Okay, in this thread, I'll take any questions you may have about the events in Genesis, and try to answer them to the best of my ability.

This thread is open to all sorts of stuff, from creatio ex nihilo to the Fall, the Flood, the Dispensations, the Ark, kinds, what language Adam & Eve spoke, anything.

Pray for me. :)

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Any theories on what Ham did to Noah in Genesis 9 that caused Noah to curse Canaan? It only stops at that Ham seen his nakedness and that Noah saw what he had done, but never clear on what he did.
As I have heard it from scholars of the language, the underlying Hebrew suggests that Ham was sexually aroused by his fathers nakedness.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
As I have heard it from scholars of the language, the underlying Hebrew suggests that Ham was sexually aroused by his fathers nakedness.

The reference to "his youngest son" is a reference to Canaan, not Ham. Grandsons were considered 'sons' as well as actual sons. Ham is always second when Noah's sons are mentioned together; "Shem, Ham, and Japheth". That Canaan 'did' something (very bad) to a 'naked' Noah doesn't leave much to the imagination.

Any deeper discussion on this subject can be quite troubling.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Okay, in this thread, I'll take any questions you may have about the events in Genesis, and try to answer them to the best of my ability.

This thread is open to all sorts of stuff, from creatio ex nihilo to the Fall, the Flood, the Dispensations, the Ark, kinds, what language Adam & Eve spoke, anything.

Pray for me. :)

We've probably got different views on Genesis as a whole, but, putting that to one side, what do you think of the idea that at least something of Noah's belief in the one true God was passed down the generations, through Terah to Abram?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,911,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Any theories on what Ham did to Noah in Genesis 9 that caused Noah to curse Canaan?
It could be he either raped him or his wife.

Here's why:

Genesis 9:20 And Noah began to be an husbandman, and he planted a vineyard:
Genesis 9:21 And he drank of the wine, and was drunken; and he was uncovered within his tent.
Genesis 9:22 And Ham, the father of Canaan, saw the nakedness of his father, and told his two brethren without.

IF he was uncovered by his son, that would jive with my theory.

Note also this passage in Leviticus, which uses the same terminology:

Leviticus 20:11 And the man that lieth with his father's wife hath uncovered his father's nakedness: both of them shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

Either way, that was some pretty sick stuff that went on.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,911,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What is your take on Genesis 5:2
Genesis 5:1 This is the book of the generations of Adam. In the day that God created man, in the likeness of God made he him;
Genesis 5:2 Male and female created he them; and blessed them, and called their name Adam, in the day when they were created.

I heard a trivia question once that went:

What name did God give to Eve?

The answer is here in Chapter 5, where God named them both ADAM, but Adam then changed her name to Eve; an act that God honored.

Genesis 3:20 And Adam called his wife's name Eve; because she was the mother of all living.

Notice here where the same thing happens, but David refused the name change:

2 Samuel 12:24 And David comforted Bathsheba his wife, and went in unto her, and lay with her: and she bare a son, and he called his name Solomon: and the LORD loved him.
2 Samuel 12:25 And he sent by the hand of Nathan the prophet; and he called his name Jedidiah, because of the LORD.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,911,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
How high was the tower of Babel when it was pulled down?
Had it been completed, probably some 8000 feet!
Bungle_Bear said:
How large was the base of the tower of Babel?
The Book of Jubilees, part of the Old Testament Apocrypha, describes the tower as having a rectangular base 7,800 feet by 18,000 feet, and a height of 8,150 feet!

(See The Book of Jubilees, chapter 10, vs 19-27, R.H. Charles translation.)

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,911,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Or his mother's.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Moral Orel

Proud Citizen of Moralton
Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
What do you make of Genesis 3:14-15?

The Lord God said to the serpent,​

“Because you have done this,
cursed are you above all livestock
and above all beasts of the field;
on your belly you shall go,
and dust you shall eat
all the days of your life.

I will put enmity between you and the woman,
and between your offspring and her offspring;
he shall bruise your head,
and you shall bruise his heel.”​

Is this literally just about the animals we know as "snakes" and nothing else?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,911,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
We've probably got different views on Genesis as a whole, but, putting that to one side, what do you think of the idea that at least something of Noah's belief in the one true God was passed down the generations, through Terah to Abram?
Believe it or not, Shem lived right up to the time of Jacob; providing eyewitness testimony of Noah and the Flood!

Genesis 11:10 These are the generations of Shem: Shem was an hundred years old, and begat Arphaxad two years after the flood:
Genesis 11:11 And Shem lived after he begat Arphaxad five hundred years, and begat sons and daughters.

He could have set any errant record straight.

Upvote 0