Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Running a very old quad core. Always have used Firefox, but over time computer got slower and slower and so did the browser. I blamed the old computer for that. Went from Win7 to 10, slight improvement only because 7 was old and corrupted. Things got really bad with Firefox, having to close it out multiple times a day. Even when opened anew, it was still fairly slow. 10 has Edge so I gave it a try with all my normal tabs....runs super fast like I am on a newer computer and it's been two days and no restart and closing down of the browser has been needed. It's like having a completely different computer.

Reactions: Hazelelponi

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,583.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Yes Firefox just got tooo top heavy trying to keep up with the background garbage, unnecessary frills etc. It would be nice if the old concept of Lite came back on a lot of things. But I guess they can't monitor us as well. I switched to Brave

Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

peaceful-forest

Nov 5, 2022
-
✟66,162.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I wonder if Microsoft found a way to slow down Firefox on purpose so users would use Edge instead?

I wouldn't be able to give my experience on it, as I dumped Windows 10 for Linux in 2022.

I remember when Windows 10 first came out, Microsoft slowed down Windows Updates on computers with Windows Vista on them to force people to go buy new computers.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟78,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I wonder if Microsoft found a way to slow down Firefox on purpose so users would use Edge instead?

I wouldn't be able to give my experience on it, as I dumped Windows 10 for Linux in 2022.

I remember when Windows 10 first came out, Microsoft slowed down Windows Updates on computers with Windows Vista on them to force people to go buy new computers.
I am planning on dumping Windows for Linux in 2025, when MS discontinues support for Windows 10. Win 11 is bloatware and spyware. Which Linux distribution do you use? I am planning on going with Ubuntu or Linux Mint.

Upvote 0

Wookiee

Cool. Cool, cool, cool.
Jul 19, 2013
Australia
✟51,040.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
My friend, Vista was already slow on good computers.
I am planning on dumping Windows for Linux in 2025, when MS discontinues support for Windows 10. Win 11 is bloatware and spyware. Which Linux distribution do you use? I am planning on going with Ubuntu or Linux Mint.
Windows 11 is literally 10 in a shiny new package. It performs no worse, nor collects more telemetry than 10. Even the bloatware (like Disney+, Spotify, etc.) is just an ad; it isn't actually installed until you go to use it.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,583.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
As of last week no more features for 10 so I presume the cycle will start over

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Running a very old quad core. Always have used Firefox, but over time computer got slower and slower and so did the browser. I blamed the old computer for that. Went from Win7 to 10, slight improvement only because 7 was old and corrupted. Things got really bad with Firefox, having to close it out multiple times a day. Even when opened anew, it was still fairly slow. 10 has Edge so I gave it a try with all my normal tabs....runs super fast like I am on a newer computer and it's been two days and no restart and closing down of the browser has been needed. It's like having a completely different computer.
Brave is also of merit. And a few others are worth a look

Upvote 0

peaceful-forest

Nov 5, 2022
-
✟66,162.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Which Linux distribution do you use? I am planning on going with Ubuntu or Linux Mint.

I have Zorin. I have a little issues with it, like the printer.

I hear great things about Linux Mint. Sometimes I wonder if I should've started with Ubuntu or Linux Mint.

I know you can buy brand new computers from Dell that have Ubuntu on it.

• Informative
Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟78,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I hear great things about Linux Mint. Sometimes I wonder if I should've started with Ubuntu or Linux Mint.

I have heard Mint is better than Zorin. But each Linux user loves to say their own system is the best. ;) Am glad you are an open-minded Linux user. A lot are distro fanboys.

Upvote 0

peaceful-forest

Nov 5, 2022
-
✟66,162.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I have heard Mint is better than Zorin. But each Linux user loves to say their own system is the best. ;) Am glad you are an open-minded Linux user. A lot are distro fanboys.

I decided to leave Microsoft when I heard about Windows 11 and they had deemed my computer ineligible for the upgrade (which is a good thing).

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟78,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I decided to leave Microsoft when I heard about Windows 11 and they had deemed my computer ineligible for the upgrade (which is a good thing).
My computer is eligible, but I don't want 11. It slows computers down. Thankfully, Firefox is available on Linux.

Upvote 0

They don't end

Oct 14, 2023
Around the North
✟8,689.00
Country
Brazil
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Apologies if this is late, but I would recommend giving Mint a shot on a flash drive or virtual machine before those 1 or 2 years.
Main reason I switched to Linux was because I have 8 gigs of ram and don't want to wave the white flag and buy more ram. So as a result, Windows 10 would half the time have "System" show up on the task manager using up 80% of ram. On Linux I barely ever need 4 gigs, with Steam and a browser open. All other software takes up less than 100 MB.
If you do end up switching, or even if you don't, the main thing I recommend is using free/libre software as much as possible. There is no reason to use Chrome over Ungoogled Chromium, and other examples.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟78,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Apologies if this is late, but I would recommend giving Mint a shot on a flash drive or virtual machine before those 1 or 2 years.
Main reason I switched to Linux was because I have 8 gigs of ram and don't want to wave the white flag and buy more ram. So as a result, Windows 10 would half the time have "System" show up on the task manager using up 80% of ram. On Linux I barely ever need 4 gigs, with Steam and a browser open. All other software takes up less than 100 MB.
If you do end up switching, or even if you don't, the main thing I recommend is using free/libre software as much as possible. There is no reason to use Chrome over Ungoogled Chromium, and other examples.
Thanks for the tip. I don't like Chrome.

Upvote 0

JesseBassett

Follower of the way, the truth, and the life....
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2004
Inver Grove Heights, MN, USA
Visit site
✟424,088.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

I use Ubuntu-Mate with the firefox-esr browser. I have found the ESR version of Firefox to be smoother and gentler than the normal Firefox. Just a thought.

Upvote 0

linux.poet

Electric Nightfall
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2022
Poway
✟204,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I've found that Firefox loads slower for most websites these days out of the box. However, there are ways to fix said Firefox to make it faster.

1. Get "hardened" Firefox that uses a custom user.js file to remove Pocket bloatware and other similar annoyances. I use Betterfox.

2. Get a user-agent extension for Firefox that allows you to tell websites that you're running Chrome when you visit them.

Firefox is basically the Linux machine of browsers these days, it requires more work, but that work is worth the effort to avoid sending data to Microsoft or Google. If you aren't interested in doing a small amount of technical legwork, installing LibreWolf or Brave Browser are good choices.

Upvote 0

nhaas11

Christian News: http://www.shekach.com
Oct 3, 2015
Fresno Ca
Visit site
✟8,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I will need to look into Betterfox.

If you have an Extra compute, And want to learn more about Linux distros, install PROXMOX, then install other Linus Distros within Proxmox. Over the last 25 years, I have run OpenSuse, Ubuntu, Tried Red hat (dont like.), Debian, and Linux Mint. I currently have 6 Ubuntu servers running in my house on Proxmox (3 computers), and a few other OS'es running. Try and find out what you like. I am working on upgrading my desktop to Ubuntu and run a Windows VM in Proxmox for my day job.

Upvote 0