Kristine

Oct 30, 2002
Ottawa, Ontario
Visit site
✟457.00
Faith
Christian
Hi all,

I'm just wondering if there are any other Christian swing dancers in this group? I got into swing dancing a few years ago and it is a very serious PASSION of mine. I honestly LOVE swing (and dance in general) and can't imagine my life without it.

My prob is that I feel isolated in the world of dance as most of the guys and girls I hang out with there are non-Christians. Romantic connections have no chance of moving forward because of that Christian/non-Christian gulf (not to mention striving hard to stay abstinent vs wants casual sex now).

Of course I hope to continue with this hobby and share this passion with my future husband, but so often I feel so discouraged: It's hard enough finding great Christian men, let alone one who will share my love of dance (and be good at it).

Please pray for me as this is a really big struggle in my life. I've had two relationships born out of dance. One eventually became a Christian and the other remains a devout atheist intent on making me give in to my primal desire for sex.

I very much long for marriage and with all my heart I desire to be a mom, but with the pool of dancing Christians being so small, I fear that the likelihood of my having to sacrifice either great dancing or a great marriage are so great.

Anyhow, please pardon the sob rant, I'm just feeling it extra hard this morning since I broke things off with my atheist great dancer friend last night. This could have been a fantastic relationship were it not for our faith/sex want differences. Your prayers would be appreciated.

In the meantime I'm going to go out and buy a tub of Breyer's chocolate ice-cream.... and if you know any swing dance addicts (also salsa, cha-cha, waltz...) you know where to send em ;)

Kristine

Wypadek

Just call me Pad
Mar 10, 2002
Take a left at the milky way and you'll run right
✟1,194.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I love swing dancing, I'm not very good at it since I don't get the chance to do it very often, but at school there is a swing dancing club that I'm thinking I'm gonna join.

If you join one of those, you might be able to find someone.

As far as the ice cream, sounds like a plan!! Hope all goes well!

Upvote 0

Pope Gonzo

Jul 14, 2003
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟16,540.00
Faith
Christian
The president of our IV chapter went to another chapter in the state and taught a bunch of them how to swing-dance as a chapter event. He said it was a blast.

I, unfortunately, have never learned to swing dance. Well, my older sister's friends tried to teach me, but I think I was awestruck at the fact that 3 beautiful girls 3 or 4 years older than me were giving me their entire attention :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

Kristine

Oct 30, 2002
Ottawa, Ontario
Visit site
✟457.00
Faith
Christian
Yes W. joining a swing dance club is the best way to learn. Most of them are non-profit groups led by others folks like me who are nuts about the dance. and would love to teach you. Just like youth groups, the dance groups can become like a second (or third) family.

I'm involved in one (http://swingottawa.ca) ... that's where I keep becoming close to and hooking up with non Christian guys. I do need more Christians in the group so that the temptation isn't so great.

As far as teaching goes, it's really hard for a follower (aka the female) to teach a guy how to be a good lead. She only needs to know how to stay connected and respond. The timing, great moves, variations etc are his job. It takes a while for most guys to become confident enough with all the elements, and to become good dancers.

I did a bit of research and apparently there is a Christian swing group in Nashville and in California.... it's good to know that there are options out there. If ever I can afford to travel :)

thanks for your encouragement.
Kristine

Upvote 0

TheFirstNoelle

Aug 18, 2003
Victoria BC
Visit site
✟8,005.00
Faith
Christian
Hi! I'm a swing dancer, and so is my boyfriend. We love it! It's fun, but it also has a certain level of flirtiness and even sensuality which is nice when dancing with your significant other. I hate going to the bars because of the darkly lustful atmosphere they promote.

Upvote 0

Islander

Jul 23, 2003
Texas
Visit site
✟416.00
Faith
Protestant
I love swing dancing although I'm not good at it. About 5 years ago I attended a church in which a dance teacher attended, some type of dancing world champion even, and to get more people to come to the evening services particularly teens he gave free dancing classes before the evening service. Considering how expensive classes are that was awesome. He would match us up with a partner during the class and force us to change partners during the class because he said dancing with different people makes better dancers. Being matched up with somebody helped me but I didn't have anybody to practice with when I left class so it was hard to practice.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums