Nov 14, 2008
✟15,573.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Superstition, psychics, and mediums are useless and those who rely upon them have no judgment. Not only that, but reliance upon them is inconsistent with a reliance upon the Holy Spirit. And so it should come as a surprise that born-again Christians are just as likely to employ the services of a psychic or a medium as non-Christians.

What do you think about superstition, psychics, and mediums and what should we do about it?

KleinerApfel

When I awake I am still with You
Mar 4, 2004
Somewhere
✟35,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And so it should come as a surprise that born-again Christians are just as likely to employ the services of a psychic or a medium as non-Christians.

:o Really? I had no idea.
I know people who go to church and call themselves Christian and dabble in all kinds of stuff, but none of those would call themselves "born again" as they think people like me are extremists LOL!

Have you some statistics, has someone done a survey, and did they ask about the people's relationship with Christ or just assume because they attend a church now and then that they were "born again"?

It's tragic that the world, in desperation, seeks occult answers to spiritual pain, but understandable because they're lost in the dark.
For those who know the true Answer, how could they possibly want to ask people in occult paths, who either actively or unwittingly oppose the Lord in their teachings? I just don't understand.

Upvote 0

Duihou

Dec 19, 2008
✟7,633.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I met a Christian lady whilst at university some years ago, and I was powerfully impressed by the way she had no superstitions whatsoever. There was none of the fear of 13, throwing spilt salt over the shoulder, fingers crossed or general discomfort at the thought that something might go wrong. She simply believed in Christ and was content to meet life everyday.

Upvote 0

KleinerApfel

When I awake I am still with You
Mar 4, 2004
Somewhere
✟35,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1 John 4:
18 There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.
19 We love because he first loved us.

It seems that the lady you met had come to a place in her faith where she could comprehend and receive so much of the love which the Lord was pouring into her that she faced life without fear.

I've shed the superstitions of my pre-Christian life, but there's still work to be done...sometimes superstitions are just the tip of the iceberg - a very obvious and easily recognisable sign that fear is there, but merely a symptom of the more hidden fears we may have deep down.

But God is patiently working away in me, in all of us, and it's His love that removes our fear more and more as we know Him more and more.

Upvote 0

Moriah_Conquering_Wind

Mar 6, 2006
✟34,174.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Superstition, psychics, and mediums are useless and those who rely upon them have no judgment. Not only that, but reliance upon them is inconsistent with a reliance upon the Holy Spirit. And so it should come as a surprise that born-again Christians are just as likely to employ the services of a psychic or a medium as non-Christians.

What do you think about superstition, psychics, and mediums and what should we do about it?

Most commercial psychics and mediums would be pure bunkum anyway. Those who really do possess abilities generally cannot control it enough to make it function efficaciously either 24/7 or on a whim or on demand. But that would be beside the point and off topic.

What about those in Christian circles who treat "the prophetic" as their own personal divine fortune cookie, or who try to discern "what the Lord says" by opening a Bible at random and sticking their finger in it without looking to pick a verse? Both these things end up being forms of divination and come from a superstitious mindset. They do not suddenly become "holy" because the language and praxis used to express this superstitious mindset happens to be "Christianese" instead of something else.

What about Christians avoiding those things not from a trust in Christ and an awareness of the truth but rather from a superstitious fear? Does that make avoiding those things holy, to do so not because one trusts God for all things but because one fears the devil, or fears spiritual contamination? Think about it. Some have the attitude of "whatever works" -- but scripture seems pretty clear that a spirit of fear does not come from God, but rather power, love, a sound mind -- a rational and calm basis for decisions, not a fearful reactionary one. Should we NOT be concerned if the basis of our decisions, even seemingly "right" ones, has come from the wrong spirit? Hmmmm.

Exercises in discernment for Christians would be, IMO, much better and effectively employed in discerning things liable to trip up Christians -- not things they would be avoiding anyway. For example, most Christians don't need to spend hours discussing why they would avoid performing black magick rituals ... but most Christians have no clue that every time they push their judgment of someone as the truth about that person, or every time they wag their little tongues in covert operations of social engineering, consensus-perception deck-stacking, etc., especially in combination with spiritual pride (crusade zeal), they have, like it or not, engaged in a low-level version of black magick. Now that would be something they ought to spend time sorting out.

Upvote 0

DRamsay

Jan 10, 2009
✟192.00
Faith
Atheist
Well a superstition is defined as: "a belief or notion, not based on reason or knowledge".

In all honesty it seems to me that religion could be classified as such so I hope you're not to busy trying to combat it. If you're interested in getting people to convert from one superstition to another, or trying to keep people that follow christian superstition from following others while doing so, I don't know if I could help you. That said, I think we have a point of agreement on the fact that psychics and mediums are useless and harmful charlatans. The best way to combat trust in psychics and mediums is to encourage skepticism, especially in regards to people who claim to have magical powers. Especially since every case of "magic" ever examined has turned out to be a hoax. Again I don't know how you could do that while encouraging Christianity, but skepticism would be the way to go.

Upvote 0