Suggestions - patristics for a Protestant?

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,022,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thank you SO much, Laura, for pointing out these particular passages. This is indeed very helpful. I hadn't read them myself, though I remember similar words to some of this in the Didache. Not much of it is unfamiliar ... it seems the same instructions are given over and over, among many writings. Imagine that. ;)

This will be perfect though, thank you so much. He does question the set order of service, etc. (the Liturgy) and this is a pretty good description. Except of course we pray more than that, and sing - but that is elsewhere in Scripture and writings as well.
Remember also that the Jewish Church also had chanting! Perhaps that is part what they consider reading...? I have a book about liturgy in the early church, and it suggests that many snippets of the epistles were used as early hymnography. I don't know for sure if that is true, but it interesting to think about.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,022,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for the link! It actually took me to Shakespearan sonnets ... I think the last number of the URL didn't get included. But it was easy enough to search for Ignatius, and there is more there as well.

He does like podcasts, and listens to Scripture on CD on a loop. I'm not sure what his preference is - he might think more deeply when he reads? - but having this will be helpful. I'm listening myself right now. I am going to see if there is a way to get it into my phone so I can listen while I work. :)
I actually went back and tried to add the last number since I realized I didn't copy the last number when I pasted it in :) I don't think I updated the automatic link though to include the 9!

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Remember also that the Jewish Church also had chanting! Perhaps that is part what they consider reading...? I have a book about liturgy in the early church, and it suggests that many snippets of the epistles were used as early hymnography. I don't know for sure if that is true, but it interesting to think about.

I have a pretty good book on Liturgy in the early Church too (or where our Liturgy came from, and all that is associated with it). He's not interested to read this yet, though I can offer just a little in conversation. I have to be careful ... I have found that if he asks, and I answer, it's very possible for me to say too much and eventually offer something he can object to. :p Hopefully I will learn, Lord give me some wisdom!

Reactions: All4Christ
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I actually went back and tried to add the last number since I realized I didn't copy the last number when I pasted it in :) I don't think I updated the automatic link though to include the 9!

Don't worry - a box pops right up to search. I just typed in "Ignatius" and it gave me the epistles as well as a number of other good things. :) You can probably edit it most easily - if you want - by just opening the text and deleting the 9 outside the link, and typing a new one inside the brackets. But it's not really necessary. I've already got the site. I'm just thankful you sent me there - I've never heard of it! And indeed, there are some other audio books I've wished for I will search later. :)

Upvote 0

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,022,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I have a pretty good book on Liturgy in the early Church too (or where our Liturgy came from, and all that is associated with it). He's not interested to read this yet, though I can offer just a little in conversation. I have to be careful ... I have found that if he asks, and I answer, it's very possible for me to say too much and eventually offer something he can object to. :p Hopefully I will learn, Lord give me some wisdom!
When I first became a catechumen...I conveniently left my favorite Orthodox books in our bathroom book basket lol for anyone who 'stumbled' upon it ;)

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
There is an online translator, english to vietnamese, here http://translation2.paralink.com/English-Vietnamese-Translator so he can copy and paste from any english source and have it come out in his native tongue.

Thanks, Joshua!

He left Vietnam when he was fairly young - they stayed in another country before coming to the US. He said his reading skills are about 4th grade level in Vietnamese, so he's probably better in English. He asks me what obscure words mean sometimes (in English - it's a game and he tries to stump me lol) ... but I think he can handle structure and vocabulary on a fairly high level in English.

However ... it might be a way to get him interested in some things at some times. :)

Thanks again for the suggestion!

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
When I first became a catechumen...I conveniently left my favorite Orthodox books in our bathroom book basket lol for anyone who 'stumbled' upon it ;)
I tried that ... Hasn't worked yet.

I'm also not wanting him to stumble across asking intercession of the Saints or the Thoetokos, or venerating icons, and get the wrong idea without reading more. Sometimes he just "shuts down" to prevent reading anything "wrong".

Then again I'm highly skeptical of what he's been listening to. Lord have mercy - I pray for him every day. We take steps forward and backward. I can't push - all in time, if ever. I'm just so sad for him that he's been to ANY service maybe twice this year?

I worry for him.

Father said I should go with him to his choice of denominations sometimes so he will at least go, but he mostly isn't interested at all. And I NEED the Eucharist - I won't stay home for just no reason.

(My apologies, looks like I'm very late replying. I must have missed the notification. I'm sorry about that!)

Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟567,460.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Over at New Advent, a Catholic site, they have edited many of the moldy old translations done for the work edited by Philip Schaff in the 19th century - which is what most of the free online sources use. They are noticeably more readable, though still quite technical:

http://newadvent.org/fathers/

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Over at New Advent, a Catholic site, they have edited many of the moldy old translations done for the work edited by Philip Schaff in the 19th century - which is what most of the free online sources use. They are noticeably more readable, though still quite technical:

http://newadvent.org/fathers/

Thanks for the link. I will take a look at them. I need to be reading more myself, but tbh I have assigned reading now and I don't have time to pursue that as well as what I'd like to read sometimes. Still, I'm sure I can at least begin working through some of the things I'm interested in and haven't yet read (which is a lot). I'd need to read it along with him anyway in order to discuss things, and I think that's best.

Thank you again. I do sometimes find writings on ccel difficult myself.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums