Sudan Tribune- Life for Church in North

J

jsph110

The coming January marks the end of a 6 year peace agreement between north Sudan, which is primarily Islamic, and south Sudan, where many Christians reside. In this time, it is speculated that the south will secede from the north. John Ashworth, director of the Denis Hurley Peace Institute, who has lived in Sudan for more than 10 years has said that since Sudan gained its independence from Britain, the northern governments have tried to impose Arab-Islamic culture and religion on all of Sudan and ensure that those who do not conform essentially become 'second class citizens.' In daily life, Christians, Muslims, and followers of traditional African religions have lived 'side by side without problems,' according to Ashworth. However, as an independent state, the non-Muslim southern Sudanese could escape Islamization, Arabization, and marginalization from the center of power, as well as have most of the country's oil in their territory. Many church leaders have openly supported the separation of southern Sudan from the north. The vote on secession is scheduled for January 9, 2011.

Pray for strength and courage of Sudanese Christians to stand firm in their faith
Pray for God's will to be accomplish in the vote on 01/09/2011

spiersdodgerblue

Senior Veteran
Jan 31, 2007
✟18,939.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Will be praying! I am taking this info to my Wed. night class that my husband and I are facilitating on the persecuted church. We are calling it the "Church in Chains".

I bring some prayer needs to that class so they can take home. In hopes of helping in the learning to pray daily for those in restricted nations.

So I thank you for this timely info.

Upvote 0