Study finds immigrants commit less California crime

F

fieldy

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Immigrants are far less likely than the average U.S.-born citizen to commit crime in California, the most populous state in the United States, according to a report issued late on Monday.

People born outside the United States make up about 35 percent of California's adult population but account for about 17 percent of the adult prison population, the report by the Public Policy Institute of California showed.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080226/us_nm/usa_immigration_crime_dc

Interesting article.

HumbleMan

Ragamuffin
Dec 2, 2003
Mississippi by way of Texas
✟17,870.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You only end up in prison once you've been caught. Take it from me, for every one that ggets caughts, 5 - 10 don't. After all, it's not like they have an address in the DMV, or everrr filled out a cencus, or have an SS card, or any documentation or paper trail for the the cops to track down after they commit a crime.

And every American born person who commits a crime is caught and convicted?

Upvote 0

Meshavrischika

for Thy greater honor and glory
Jun 12, 2007
OK
✟43,103.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
This just sounds like the people who support illegal immigration are looking for yet another foothold to support their cause. Sorry. I think things like this are far too difficult to pin down accurately to proclaim this as fact in any illegal population.

As for people who are here legally from other countries not committing as much crime... I totally buy that because they worked hard and strived to get here and don't want to throw it away by committing a crime.

The fact that the study did not differentiate legal from illegal is telling. (the illegal immigrants are COMMITING crime currently and whether they are jailed or not means nothing because they ARE breaking the law and would skew the study)

Upvote 0

Meshavrischika

Jun 12, 2007
OK
✟43,103.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
The study does not differentiate between legal and illegal people not born in the US, rendering it useless in the whole illegal immigrant debate.
if they don't differentiate (from people commiting crime with those who are not - and it IS crime) how can they possibly say they commit LESS crime? Are they failing to count being here illegally as crime?

Upvote 0

HumbleMan

Ragamuffin
Dec 2, 2003
✟17,870.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No. But it's harder for us to hide. We're not used to it. Illegals are pretty good at it. That and the fact that it's harder to track them, well...

With the rate of unsloved crimes, no, I don't think it's harder for us to hide. Also, if illegals are so good at hiding, how do we know there are (supposedly) 12 to 20 million here?

Upvote 0

Meshavrischika

Jun 12, 2007
OK
✟43,103.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
With the rate of unsloved crimes, no, I don't think it's harder for us to hide. Also, if illegals are so good at hiding, how do we know there are (supposedly) 12 to 20 million here?
having an 8 million person gap in that guess is pretty telling isn't it?

Upvote 0

HumbleMan

Ragamuffin
Dec 2, 2003
✟17,870.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
having an 8 million person gap in that guess is pretty telling isn't it?

Not really. At the beginning of the '06 political season, the number tossed around was 12 million. Once Lou Dobbs and the rest got into the mix, we started hearing about 20 million.

I don't think 8 million people crossed our borders in less than two years.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Meshavrischika

Jun 12, 2007
OK
✟43,103.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Not really. At the beginning of the '06 political season, the number tossed around was 12 million. Once Lou Dobbs and the rest got into the mix, we started hearing about 20 million.

I don't think 8 million people crossed our borders in less than two years.
I think you might be shocked. My BIL is an ICE agent and he says the numbers they catch are staggering.

Upvote 0

Meshavrischika

Jun 12, 2007
OK
✟43,103.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Oh, I don't doubt that ICE is doing a good job at stopping them. I question the number living here being bandied around by all the "immigration reform" people.
Actually they DO do a great job, but the vast majority of charges are dropped because there are not enough prosecutors on the border to handle the cases.. i.e. most are let go to roam back in or never show up for court and wander the U.S.

I think there are WAY lots of illegals here. Just from what I see in my community and that there are so many communities like Austin that instruct police not to address this issue.

Upvote 0

HumbleMan

Ragamuffin
Dec 2, 2003
✟17,870.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There are a lot of illegals here, there's no doubt. But when I try to get a handle on the numbers, I find it hard to imagine that there's more illegals here than populations of 48 of the 50 states.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_by_population

I'm not opposed to immigration enforcement, even though I think our current policy to be ridiculous and protectionist.

But what I think is our biggest problem is that our lawmakers are lazy, pandering, special interest shills. To keep any society going, you have to ensure that there's enough wealth to be earned by all classes of citizens. We've shipped so many jobs overseas, or allowed corporate level mergers go through only to see them closing part of the business so that the assets could be sold off.

I believe that his country can regain it's greatness, but we're going to have to start creating more jobs, and more wealth, than we ship out. If we had a strong economy, we could absorb an extra 4-5 million workers, and with them working, spending and paying taxes, keep building on our infrastructure.

I also have a soft spot in my heart for people wanting to come here to make a better life for themselves. I grew up in El Paso, and I saw the diry underside of nationalist politics where people were being killed, beaten, and abused horribly just because they weren't born here. And I'm seeing that mentality being played on a national level through talk radio and politicians with nothing better to run on.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
H

HollandScotts

And how many of those unsolved crimes do you think may have been commited by illegals?How do we know there are 12 to 20 million illegals in this country? We guess.

It's like a poll. This dude has 50 points, give or take a few. Well we just have a few illegals, give or take 8 million. And you're telling me we know there are 12 - 20 million of them here? Ha!

Upvote 0

Yusuf Evans

Aug 17, 2005
Iraq
✟13,433.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
1) If you're here illegaly, then your already committing a crime. Therefore, the article must only be speaking about legal immigrants.

2) Refer to #1. Illegals are here illegaly, therefore they shouldn't be getting caught commiting crimes in our nation to begin with.

Apologists for the illegals are grasping at straws. This being the article it is, pretty sure it needs to be moved to GPD for debate. :wave:

Upvote 0