Struggling a bit...could use help...

J

Jenster

I have been a musician all my life and was part of a wonderful worship team at my old church. Recently, I started playing with another church group that is very different. I hope to get some advice here, but also, I hope you will not judge me for what I am feeling.

The new team is full of inexperienced but good-hearted folks. I am struggling to have the proper attitude because the problems our team has are so basic. Singers don't follow the leader. Instrumentalists don't know when they're playing the wrong chords. Whoever's leading the group doesn't come prepared, and we spend time during rehearsal figuring out what the order of the song is going to be.

I believe I should be a tool for God's glory and I should make myself available, but I don't really want to lead. But neither do I want to be the one who is always piping up with, "Uh, let's figure out what we're doing on this verse," or "It sounds like there's something funky going on during the chorus, can we go over that?"

I'm a very quick thinker and problem solver, so all I hear sometimes are the problems. But it's really not fun for me to be the person who is catching all the mistakes. Do you think there are ways I'll be able to chill out, change my attitude and enjoy this experience and team? I know the purpose isn't to be perfect musicians, but to glorify God. And yet, my skill as a musician contributing to my expectations, clearly.

Okay, I would really appreciate your thoughts, even if they are harsh (but hopefully loving)...

Last edited:

xygtfalcon

Safe From The Losing Fight
Sep 30, 2005
Victoria Australia
✟5,527.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
If you play with the attitude of not having to play absolutely 100% perfectly but with the attitude of worshiping God and being a vessel for God to enter into people's hearts then I think it would be a little easier. I changed churches at the start of last year and it was a bit of a culture shock stepping into my current church's band. It took for me to step back and look at why I was playing in the band and for what purpose for me to become content with what I was doing and how I was going about it.

Honestly though, I see no problem in the way you are approaching the situation. Just keep sticking in there!

Upvote 0

JoeyWhiteshoes

Still a newbie
Feb 25, 2008
So. California
✟7,770.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Bless you.

Anything I have to say would be negative regarding your worship leader and that probably won't help but if they don't have time to prepare, they shouldn't be in the leadership position.

I feel the same about the musicians/singers/sound tech, too. No time for practice equals no playing that week.

Surfy :waaah:

Upvote 0

talitha

Cultivate Honduras
Nov 5, 2004
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Visit site
✟22,601.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
My pastor says that when we are sitting on the sidelines and know what should be done, yet we are not stepping into a role of leadership, we are out of place. Is there some reason you don't want to lead, other than just not wanting the responsibility? Is there a way you could come alongside whoever is leading and help him or her to step into that role with greater effectiveness?

Upvote 0
J

Jenster

Bless you all for replying and offering your thoughts. I am very grateful! I love that you all have a heart to serve the Lord and to lead others in worshiping Him.

talitha, thank you for your questions. My reluctance to lead stems from a few things. First, I am in a leadership position at work, and when I am not at the office, I don't want to assume more responsibility for leading. Second, I'm not a natural born leader, so it takes a lot of energy for me to lead.

I am very organized, however, so -- to your second question -- I might be able to help whoever is leading by offering to go over the songs ahead of time with them to figure out what the flow of the songs will be. That way, we won't spend precious rehearsal time discussing and debating what happens when, and what key things should be in, and whether we should even do the song or not.

Thank you for helping me think this issue through! Praise the Lord! I feel so much better now. :) :hug:

Upvote 0