Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Joey,

You have inaccurately described Calvinism. I'm sure someone will be along shortly to correct you but for now you may benefit from knowing Arminians Baptists like yourself sprinkled and poured water over the head of those professing faith. It was the Particular Baptists that placed emphasis on baptism by immersion and the Arminians eventually came around.

Just thought you'd like to know.

Yours in the Lord,

St. JM

Reactions: psalms 91
Upvote 0

SaintJoeNow

Mar 4, 2015
USA
✟3,191.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I believe every Christian is called to be like Jesus, and that means to trying to get lost people to see the light of the gospel. Street preaching is one method of doing this, and there are many other methods. Some use food and home repair as lures to befriend lost people and try to get them to see the light of the gospel to be converted and saved from Hell.
Doctrinal dissertations are long drawn out explanations of why a person believes the Bible teaches this, that, or the other thing. Watchtower organization provides the doctrinal dissertations supporting Jehovah's Witnesses.

Correct Biblical doctrine can be explained with long dissertations. Usually, it's incorrect Biblical doctrine that is supported by long dissertations. The gospel is simple so a child can understand it. I like simple common sense. Doctrinal dissertations tend to make long twisted explanations of why they reject passages the Bible states with plain simplicity. Calvinistic doctrinal dissertations use many convolutions of logic and many scriptures taken out of context to be added to other scriptures taken out of context to build a doctrine which ignores many simple statements of the Bible and of the Lord.

Calvinists are generally against street preachers, and generally against any suggestion that they should actively engage in trying to persuade people to repent and believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and be saved.
They generally do not care to support foreign mission outreaches or even inner city outreaches such as street preaching or food give away programs designed to bring people in so the gospel can be given to them in hope that they will be saved.

Calvinists will tell you that you don't need to be reaching out to people to try to get them to see the light of the gospel. They will say it's God's job to do that, and He does not need you to do His job...stuff like that, and they write long mind-bending doctrinal dissertations to encourage themselves to be comfortable resting in faith while they enjoy God and let the lost people have their fate.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟748,024.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I believe every Christian is called to be like Jesus, and that means to trying to get lost people to see the light of the gospel. Street preaching is one method of doing this, and there are many other methods. Some use food and home repair as lures to befriend lost people and try to get them to see the light of the gospel to be converted and saved from Hell.
Doctrinal dissertations are long drawn out explanations of why a person believes the Bible teaches this, that, or the other thing. Watchtower organization provides the doctrinal dissertations supporting Jehovah's Witnesses.

Correct Biblical doctrine can be explained with long dissertations. Usually, it's incorrect Biblical doctrine that is supported by long dissertations. The gospel is simple so a child can understand it. I like simple common sense. Doctrinal dissertations tend to make long twisted explanations of why they reject passages the Bible states with plain simplicity. Calvinistic doctrinal dissertations use many convolutions of logic and many scriptures taken out of context to be added to other scriptures taken out of context to build a doctrine which ignores many simple statements of the Bible and of the Lord.

Calvinists are generally against street preachers, and generally against any suggestion that they should actively engage in trying to persuade people to repent and believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and be saved.
They generally do not care to support foreign mission outreaches or even inner city outreaches such as street preaching or food give away programs designed to bring people in so the gospel can be given to them in hope that they will be saved.

Calvinists will tell you that you don't need to be reaching out to people to try to get them to see the light of the gospel. They will say it's God's job to do that, and He does not need you to do His job...stuff like that, and they write long mind-bending doctrinal dissertations to encourage themselves to be comfortable resting in faith while they enjoy God and let the lost people have their fate.

WRONG!

Joey, please read up before making such wildly inaccurate statements. Calvinists deny that everyone is a minister of reconciliation to use scriptural terms...we believe the work of any minister of the Gospel, evangelist included, is done within the context of the local church. Evangelists are trained and sent by a congregation. Dr. James White is a Reformed Baptist Elder who performs street evangelism outside a Mormon Temple and has done so for years but recently he has been hindered by men claiming to be street preachers. What do these "preachers" do? These men who assume the mantle of minister of reconciliation for themselves without training and approval from the local church? They prevent Dr. White, who is an ordained minister from evangelism, by creating huge KJVO signs and heckle him about the KJV. This is a prime example of the chaos we find in the "every man a minister" idea.

Yours in the Lord,

St. JM

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married

This is full of misinformation and false accusations. Obviously someone needs to actually take the time to find out about what "Calvinists" actually believe.

I am a Calvinistic Baptist, not Reformed, and always have been. I have done street preaching myself. I have no reason to believe that street preaching is wrong in itself but the method of Ray Comfort and others like him is. In my street preaching I tell folks about who Christ is and what He has done. I do not try to get them to make a decision and neither do I appeal to the emotions of the sinner. I simply and clearly preach the Gospel of the free and sovereign grace of God in Jesus Christ. I leave it up to the Lord to apply it to the hearts of those who hear.

You will find many more are wiling to listen when you are not trying to coerce them into a profession.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟748,024.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
This is full of misinformation and false accusations. Obviously someone needs to actually take the time to find out about what "Calvinists" actually believe.

I am a Calvinistic Baptist, not Reformed, and always have been. I have done street preaching myself. I have no reason to believe that street preaching is wrong in itself but the method of Ray Comfort and others like him is. In my street preaching I tell folks about who Christ is and what He has done. I do not try to get them to make a decision and neither do I appeal to the emotions of the sinner. I simply and clearly preach the Gospel of the free and sovereign grace of God in Jesus Christ. I leave it up to the Lord to apply it to the hearts of those who hear.

You will find many more are wiling to listen when you are not trying to coerce them into a profession.

That's all I was trying to get at. When the local church has qualified men to preach the Gospel they are sent. What we have is a bunch of unqualified men, who act outside the bonds of the Gospels and resort to emotional trickery to “get folks saved.”

Upvote 0

SaintJoeNow

Mar 4, 2015
USA
✟3,191.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
John the Baptist was a street preacher.
Jesus Christ was a street preacher.
The Apostle Paul was a street preacher.
Peter was a street preacher.
King David was a street preacher.
Elijah was a street preacher.
Moses was a street preacher.

I want to be like Jesus and those who were and are most like Him. I don't want to be like people who claim to be good Baptists but they don't have the spine to stand up in public and preach the gospel of Jesus Christ, the good news, the only hope for salvation. If you want to sit there and give long doctrinal dissertations about why it's ok for you not to care that people around you are dying on thin ice melting over the fire of Hell, go ahead. You give account for your time to God, not to me. I'll be looking for opportunities to share the gospel every day, and I'll be encouraging others to do the same in the name of the Lord who is in the midst of any two or three who gather in His name. I'm here in his name. I live my life in His name, denying myself and taking up my cross daily to follow Him, and He is reaching out to a lost and dying world. He lives in me, as He does in all of His saints. He is reaching out to a lost and dying world and if you are not reaching out to a lost and dying world...well....why in the world not?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
John the Baptist was a street preacher.
Jesus Christ was a street preacher.
The Apostle Paul was a street preacher.
Peter was a street preacher.
King David was a street preacher.
Elijah was a street preacher.
Moses was a street preacher.

I want to be like Jesus and those who were and are most like Him. I don't want to be like people who claim to be good Baptists but they don't have the spine to stand up in public and preach the gospel of Jesus Christ, the good news, the only hope for salvation. If you want to sit there and give long doctrinal dissertations about why it's ok for you not to care that people around you are dying on thin ice melting over the fire of Hell, go ahead. You give account for your time to God, not to me. I'll be looking for opportunities to share the gospel every day, and I'll be encouraging others to do the same in the name of the Lord who is in the midst of any two or three who gather in His name. I'm here in his name. I live my life in His name, denying myself and taking up my cross daily to follow Him, and He is reaching out to a lost and dying world. He lives in me, as He does in all of His saints. He is reaching out to a lost and dying world and if you are not reaching out to a lost and dying world...well....why in the world not?
Can you please respond to what I posted.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Blue Wren

Sep 22, 2014
Solna, Sweden
✟26,447.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
What does a street preacher do? We bring boxes of food, clothes, toiletries, to the homeless. We pray with them, if they'd like. We sometimes perform music, and such. I don't know, if that counts, as street ministry, as we're walking the streets? We give to everybody, no questions asked. We don't evangelise, as for some, that makes them hostile, but, we will pray, talk, if they'd like. Is street preaching, standing on corners preaching? Or is it something organised, where at a set time every week, you come and preach, but it's outside, instead of in a church?

I'm Swedish, we don't have street preaching, I don't think.

Upvote 0

SaintJoeNow

Mar 4, 2015
USA
✟3,191.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
What does a street preacher do? We bring boxes of food, clothes, toiletries, to the homeless. We pray with them, if they'd like. We sometimes perform music, and such. I don't know, if that counts, as street ministry, as we're walking the streets? We give to everybody, no questions asked. We don't evangelise, as for some, that makes them hostile, but, we will pray, talk, if they'd like. Is street preaching, standing on corners preaching? Or is it something organised, where at a set time every week, you come and preach, but it's outside, instead of in a church?

I'm Swedish, we don't have street preaching, I don't think.

Benevolence is wonderful and I'm sure the people you give things to appreciate it and are thankful to you. I wouldn't mind some of that benevolence myself. I'm not homeless, but a box of food and some clothes sounds wonderful. If the clothes are not the best, I'll use them for work clothes.

While you are doing all that wonderful work showing great love and compassion, why not give each of those needy persons a simple tract with the gospel message promising forgiveness of sins and eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord? You don't have to make them read it, but you could ask them to promise to read it. They might lie, they might throw it in the trash, but they will have to answer to God for that. You gave them the gospel. That would be street preaching. The focus of benevolence is to bring the needy persons to see the light of the gospel so they can know God personally. Showing them God's love by giving them things and praying with them is wonderful, but more than anything they need to know Jesus is God who died in their place to pay for their sins with His blood, and rose from the dead to justify all who believe on Him.

I'm not trying to put down any acts of kindness or benevolence. I'm only trying to stir people up to promote the name of Jesus and tell the good news of His resurrection, the good news that saves souls and changes lives. I must also say that the actions of a street preacher who only stands and preaches the gospel without giving away material things should in no way be belittled. John the Baptist was a street preacher who had nothing to give except the advice for people to "repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand". Jesus Christ Himself began His earthly ministry with the same message, the same preaching, before He healed anybody. The most important thing in the world for any individual is that they believe the gospel and receive Jesus Christ as their Savior. Giving away necessities to show the love of God is wonderful. It is more wonderful if you can bring them to know Jesus Christ personally so they know their sins are forgiven and heaven is their home and they can be confident knowing they have eternal life now no matter how hard things may be or seem to be in this world.

The idea here is that the most important thing in the world for each individual is to be saved from Hell and have eternal life instead of eternal death.
Jesus said to preach the gospel to every creature. That is street preaching. The idea is that you try to present the gospel to sinners so they can see it's light and be saved if they repent and believe on the Lord Jesus Christ.

Everybody and share the gospel if they have believed it and received Jesus Christ as their Savior. God wants each of us, and everybody else in the world to know Him by name, to know Jesus is God, and to say it with their mouths. In Philippians 2:10-11 ...." at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father. God wants everybody to honor Him, and He will have the honor of every creature even if they are in Hell and against their will they bow and say Jesus Christ is Lord. God does not want anybody to burn in Hell, so He is giving us time. He wants us to know Him by name, and He wants us to tell others who He is and what He did for them in dying for their sins to save them from Hell. He wants everybody to say Jesus is Lord, and it's best if they will say it before they are forced to say it in Hell. That's why we try to reach them to tell them the good news of the gospel. If the method you use is to give necessities to the poor, that's great...if nothing else, you can say "I give you this in the name of Jesus Christ our Lord". I don't mean to belittle your efforts, I only hope to inspire you to enjoy the gospel more and find creative ways of presenting it to others. You are doing a great job of helping the homeless. Keep up the good work. God bless you. Helping them may prolong their lives so maybe they can hear the gospel and get saved. That's where a street preacher might come in, but you can give them the gospel without waiting for a street preacher.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SaintJoeNow

Mar 4, 2015
USA
✟3,191.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single

I wish I was there when you were street preaching, I love it. I might cut loose with a hearty amen at distinct points. Preach the gospel. That's all I'm saying in this thread. I don't care if you do it like Billy Graham or like Spurgeon of like Charles Finney or like the apostle Paul or Ray Comfort. Just do it.
I think if you will look at Ray Comfort's teachings on Street Preaching where he does seminar type meetings to show others his methods, you would fully approve. Check out his Principals of Street preaching where I think it's 19 points he gives in a lecture in a church format from a pulpit. I believe I posted a link to that earlier in this thread. I know some Baptists like myself who criticize Ray Comfort in a different way than you, but I think it's a hasty conclusion and if you look at his methods and teachings more closely you will agree with him more. Ungodly voices have taken over everywhere we go in public places, everywhere we go they pump music down our throats which glorifies sin and encourages pride and rebellion against God. I love street preachers, and if I found you out there doing it I would stand and watch.

I didn't make this thread to debate about Calvinism, but Calvinism's teaching of predestination implies there is no need for trying to spread the gospel because whoever is going to be saved, according to Calvinism, is going to be saved if you preach or not. Everybody who has repented and believed on the Lord Jesus Christ and has received Him as their Savior can tell other people how they can be saved by the Savior. This thread is intended to encourage people to do more of it, and by talking about it I am poking myself to live up to what I am saying. Everywhere I go I look for opportunities to tell people that God loves them and they can be forgiven and know they have eternal life today through Jesus Christ our Lord. I pray for everybody around me everywhere I go that they might see Christ in me and I might have an opportunity to tell them how I know He lives, how I know He lives in me by His Spirit, How I know I am God's child, and how they can know the same for themselves. It bothers me when I can see a person is rejecting the Savior and I know they are on their way to Hell. Hope makes not ashamed, because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost. Jesus promised He would be rivers of living water flowing out of our bellies and our cups would run over. There is a lost and dying world around us, dry ground, that needs to be watered by the Word of God.

I applaud your street preaching. I do not want to debate Calvinism in this thread. Spurgeon was my kind of Calvinist, and you sound like a Spurgeon and I admire you for that. If all Calvinists were like Spurgeon, I believe we would have another Great Awakening or Walsh Revival type movement and the country would turn around and once again become the place where everybody in the world wants to live rather than the place where most of the people in the world want to tear down. I believe the sentiments in the world have changed because Christians have neglected to live by and spread the word of God in the public arena. We are losing our freedom to preach in the streets, so we better do it while we can and hope to prolong our freedom to live Godly lives peaceably. Persecution of Christians all around the world is the norm throughout history. The time of freedom in speaking the gospel is slipping away fast and if Christians don't start speaking up, that freedom surely will be gone suddenly and soon.

Upvote 0

SaintJoeNow

Mar 4, 2015
USA
✟3,191.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single

Spurgeon was my kind of Calvinist. I'm sure Spurgeon would appreciate your link helping others to share their faith at work. I appreciate it too. That's what this thread is about, encouraging people to do more sharing of their faith, preaching the gospel or giving personal testimonies of how they know they are saved by Jesus Christ so maybe others may get saved by seeing Him in us or by hearing His word from us, so maybe God can use us as vessels through which His Spirit can flow and draw others to drink from the fountain of life.

If all Calvinists would focus on thinks like improving their skills in sharing their faith as the link you have posted above encourages, that would be wonderful.

We need more of that. Every person who knows their sins are forgiven and they are going to heaven because they have received Jesus Christ as their Savior knows how anybody in the world can be saved...the same way they were saved by the only way they can be saved by the only Savior. You don't need a special give to tell others what God has done for you, you can be creative in how you use your talents and gifts to share your faith. As long as you are doing that and/or supporting and encouraging others who do it, you have my appreciation and respect.

Upvote 0

SaintJoeNow

Mar 4, 2015
USA
✟3,191.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single

If you have any other links for encouraging people to share their faith in any way or in any place at any time, they are welcome if Calvinistic or not. Spurgeon was a Calvinist who taught that we should be trying to spread the gospel as much as possible. That's my kind of Calvinist, and the link you posted is along that line.

I am not against Calvinists. I am against the teaching of predestination by which many people excuse themselves from any attempts to share their faith and/or spread the gospel because of the Calvinistic teaching that we are either foreordained and predestined to Heaven or we are foreordained and predestined to Hell. If that is really true, then nobody in the world has to ever make any effort to verbally share their faith or verbally spread the gospel or support missions or anything like that. We could just say "well, I guess God has gotten everybody saved who is going to be saved, and if there are more He will send them a preacher and that's His job, not mine". Spurgeon was totally against that kind of passivity of believers. Because of the link you posted encouraging people to share their faith at work, I would say you are a Spurgeon-type Calvinist and I appreciate and respect you for that.

Any links teaching people how to share their faith are supportive of what this thread is intended for. Thank you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Blue Wren

Sep 22, 2014
Solna, Sweden
✟26,447.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Benevolence is wonderful and I'm sure the people you give things to appreciate it and are thankful to you. I wouldn't mind some of that benevolence myself. I'm not homeless, but a box of food and some clothes sounds wonderful. If the clothes are not the best, I'll use them for work clothes.

While you are doing all that wonderful work showing great love and compassion, why not give each of those needy persons a simple tract with the gospel message promising forgiveness of sins and eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord? You don't have to make them read it, but you could ask them to promise to read it. They might lie, they might throw it in the trash, but they will have to answer to God for that. You gave them the gospel. That would be street preaching. The focus of benevolence is to bring the needy persons to see the light of the gospel so they can know God personally. Showing them God's love by giving them things and praying with them is wonderful, but more than anything they need to know Jesus is God who died in their place to pay for their sins with His blood, and rose from the dead to justify all who believe on Him.

I'm not trying to put down any acts of kindness or benevolence. I'm only trying to stir people up to promote the name of Jesus and tell the good news of His resurrection, the good news that saves souls and changes lives. I must also say that the actions of a street preacher who only stands and preaches the gospel without giving away material things should in no way be belittled. John the Baptist was a street preacher who had nothing to give except the advice for people to "repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand". Jesus Christ Himself began His earthly ministry with the same message, the same preaching, before He healed anybody. The most important thing in the world for any individual is that they believe the gospel and receive Jesus Christ as their Savior. Giving away necessities to show the love of God is wonderful. It is more wonderful if you can bring them to know Jesus Christ personally so they know their sins are forgiven and heaven is their home and they can be confident knowing they have eternal life now no matter how hard things may be or seem to be in this world.

The idea here is that the most important thing in the world for each individual is to be saved from Hell and have eternal life instead of eternal death.
Jesus said to preach the gospel to every creature. That is street preaching. The idea is that you try to present the gospel to sinners so they can see it's light and be saved if they repent and believe on the Lord Jesus Christ.

Everybody and share the gospel if they have believed it and received Jesus Christ as their Savior. God wants each of us, and everybody else in the world to know Him by name, to know Jesus is God, and to say it with their mouths. In Philippians 2:10-11 ...." at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father. God wants everybody to honor Him, and He will have the honor of every creature even if they are in Hell and against their will they bow and say Jesus Christ is Lord. God does not want anybody to burn in Hell, so He is giving us time. He wants us to know Him by name, and He wants us to tell others who He is and what He did for them in dying for their sins to save them from Hell. He wants everybody to say Jesus is Lord, and it's best if they will say it before they are forced to say it in Hell. That's why we try to reach them to tell them the good news of the gospel. If the method you use is to give necessities to the poor, that's great...if nothing else, you can say "I give you this in the name of Jesus Christ our Lord". I don't mean to belittle your efforts, I only hope to inspire you to enjoy the gospel more and find creative ways of presenting it to others. You are doing a great job of helping the homeless. Keep up the good work. God bless you. Helping them may prolong their lives so maybe they can hear the gospel and get saved. That's where a street preacher might come in, but you can give them the gospel without waiting for a street preacher.

At the church I attend whilst here in the US, we buy clothes from Costco. This is a store, that I believe is all over the US? You can buy things, in bulk from them, very cheaply. Church members, they make the journey every fortnight to pick up supplies from Costco (as there is not one close to the city centre). You can get these packets of brand-new clothes, that are one size fits all. Shirts, socks, trousers, ect, ect. You can also buy bags from there, very cheaply. Or sometimes we get bags that are 50 cents, from IKEA, to put them in. Those bags, they also can be used, for protection from the elements, as they are water resistant. I share these ideas, maybe they will be helpful to you. In Sweden, we mainly supply coats in the winter. People donate coats, new or in good condition, and we have them cleaned, then set up an area and distribute them. We do have many more clothes, for work interviews, at the church, that people can come and take, as needed.

Here, in the US, we talk more about the Gospel, with people, yes. I go to a Baptist church, whilst here. We do not force anyone, to make promises, to read what we give them, no. We did have a supply of Bibles, to give out, but we ran out! We have pamphlets, with scriptures, and how to become a Christian. There is also a map, on the back of the card, to the church. In Sweden, too, we have cards, and a map. At the church, everybody, is always welcome. There are meals, Bibles, available for free. We even have some, in other languages.

I don't feel, like you have belittled our efforts, no. I think, there's a very important cultural difference, between Sweden, and the US & Canada. We must, be quite mindful, of that culture we're in, to be effective, not counterproductive, with our efforts. Have you been to Sweden, or elsewhere in Scandinavia? There is something, that is known, as "lagom". There is not a direct translation for it, into English. It is a societal code of conduct, of sorts; politeness. Behaviour norms & etiquette, that are expected. You must start, by gaining familiarity, with people, and building respect, that is mutual, before, you talk to them, about intimate matters such as religion. It is just, how it is done. Treating homeless, the same way, it is treating them, with the same courtesy, dignity, as for everyone. They will think, you are rude, or crazy, and not listen, to what you say, even if you tell them, with benevolence, about Christ's sacrifice, if they do not know you yet. I have seen this, with my own eyes, as we had a girl, from Georgia, on a study programme in Stockholm make this error. She was too boisterous, and too familiar. It was not her fault, no. She had, good intentions. It will repel, instead of bringing people towards Him, in most areas of Sweden, certainly, in Stockholm. I assure you, we do make a difference, not just, in kindness, but, with bringing people, to know Christ. It takes some time, but it is worth that time. The methodology, that you have, it is not the same, as ours, but, the goals, they are unified. This, I promise. :) As long, as you bring people, to Christ, the way you bring them there, is not of much importance, I do not think.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ada Lovelace
Upvote 0

Saricharity

Follower of Christ
Mar 24, 2014
Canada
✟75,597.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You must start, by gaining familiarity, with people, and building respect, that is mutual, before, you talk to them, about intimate matters such as religion. It is just, how it is done. Treating homeless, the same way, it is treating them, with the same courtesy, dignity, as for everyone. They will think, you are rude, or crazy, and not listen, to what you say, even if you tell them, with benevolence, about Christ's sacrifice, if they do not know you yet.

I Agree. This is what we have found anywhere we have gone. This is why you can't simply "land" somewhere and hope to evangelize and win souls. You can meet needs and reach out with food, clothing etc but you won't win people for Christ. Relationship and trust is what will bring people to Christ. Some of the places my dads street ministry goes he has been going to for 10 years. The people know and trust him. They know they can count on him even if they don't like or reject the message of Christ. He has become known by his reputation and he has earned the trust of the the people. His ministry in El Salvador has been going strong for over 10 years.
His street ministry in Toronto has been going for five years and he is just starting to gain trust. Relationship is what will bring people to Christ. My dad calls it having a BBQ...inviting people into your life and showing them you care about them and not just once...but over time. My brothers street ministry is similar but his group tends to reach people through music. People are drawn in by music and lyrics. You feed the people, provide for needs, reach out to make friends and treat them with dignity. I think it's the way Jesus would do ministry. The days of hell and brimstone sermons should be gone. The only people that may listen, listen out of fear and that's just not the way to bring people to Christ. Jesus is love and compassion and dignity.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
We love them like Jesus did when He walked the streets here on earth. Sometimes with words, sometimes without. Such love is evident, and wins hearts, minds, and souls just like Jesus did. People are hungry for love and grace. In the midst of that, words lodge in hearts, minds, and souls, and take root there.

God bless us, ev'ry one :groupray:

"God says to take good care of strangers, for we could be entertaining angels without knowing it (Heb. 13:2). Jesus said whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me." ~Bryan (Jesuswashomeless.org)

Upvote 0

SaintJoeNow

Mar 4, 2015
USA
✟3,191.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
At the church I attend whilst here in the US, we buy clothes from Costco. This is a store, that I believe is all over the US? You can buy things, in bulk from them, very cheaply. Church members, they make the journey every fortnight to pick up supplies from Costco (as there is not one close to the city centre). You can get these packets of brand-new clothes, that are one size fits all. Shirts, socks, trousers, ect, ect. You can also buy bags from there, very cheaply. Or sometimes we get bags that are 50 cents, from IKEA, to put them in. Those bags, they also can be used, for protection from the elements, as they are water resistant. I share these ideas, maybe they will be helpful to you. In Sweden, we mainly supply coats in the winter. People donate coats, new or in good condition, and we have them cleaned, then set up an area and distribute them. We do have many more clothes, for work interviews, at the church, that people can come and take, as needed.

Here, in the US, we talk more about the Gospel, with people, yes. I go to a Baptist church, whilst here. We do not force anyone, to make promises, to read what we give them, no. We did have a supply of Bibles, to give out, but we ran out! We have pamphlets, with scriptures, and how to become a Christian. There is also a map, on the back of the card, to the church. In Sweden, too, we have cards, and a map. At the church, everybody, is always welcome. There are meals, Bibles, available for free. We even have some, in other languages.

I don't feel, like you have belittled our efforts, no. I think, there's a very important cultural difference, between Sweden, and the US & Canada. We must, be quite mindful, of that culture we're in, to be effective, not counterproductive, with our efforts. Have you been to Sweden, or elsewhere in Scandinavia? There is something, that is known, as "lagom". There is not a direct translation for it, into English. It is a societal code of conduct, of sorts; politeness. Behaviour norms & etiquette, that are expected. You must start, by gaining familiarity, with people, and building respect, that is mutual, before, you talk to them, about intimate matters such as religion. It is just, how it is done. Treating homeless, the same way, it is treating them, with the same courtesy, dignity, as for everyone. They will think, you are rude, or crazy, and not listen, to what you say, even if you tell them, with benevolence, about Christ's sacrifice, if they do not know you yet. I have seen this, with my own eyes, as we had a girl, from Georgia, on a study programme in Stockholm make this error. She was too boisterous, and too familiar. It was not her fault, no. She had, good intentions. It will repel, instead of bringing people towards Him, in most areas of Sweden, certainly, in Stockholm. I assure you, we do make a difference, not just, in kindness, but, with bringing people, to know Christ. It takes some time, but it is worth that time. The methodology, that you have, it is not the same, as ours, but, the goals, they are unified. This, I promise. :) As long, as you bring people, to Christ, the way you bring them there, is not of much importance, I do not think.

Just do whatever God has given you talents to do. Jesus said if you lose your life for His sake and the gospel, you will find it. Give your life for Him and He will be your life and you will find His life to be wonderful all of your days. Whatever you do, do it for the gospel. Again, I applaud your service to the Lord. I worked in an inner city mission for three years...five years, forgot it was three before Bible college and two after. The first three were as a volunteer, the latter two were in a salaried position. I often cooked the meals and interviewed people who came in off the streets to see if there was anything the mission could do to help them. We had many community outreach programs and assistance programs for the needy. They were required to attend a gospel service before any meal, unless they came in under emergency circumstances needing shelter or some clothes or a box of food. They did not get repeated handouts without attending services.
The mission as an IUGM, International Union of Gospel Missions, affiliate. The work was rewarding for me and I believe I impacted several people with the gospel so God used me to make changes in their lives directing their paths for Him.
I do not belittle any such kind of work, my heart has simply turned more toward the street preachers. There are so many homeless and poor assistance programs in America that the homeless or low income people keep calendars and schedules of where they can receive the best food and best services on which days. They even have a website called hobo.com, and probably many other similar websites. I think we need more street preachers.
Because Christians have not been bold on the public streets and bold to speak against sin, sin has become the rule in public and ungodliness is practically the law today. We are on the verge of completely losing our freedom to preach the gospel openly as the Bible is being outlawed as "hate speech" because of what it says against homosexuality and for the reality of the judment of Hell fire's eternal torment of unrepentant sinners.

I am not against taking time to be friendly to people in hope of showing them the love of God so they will be open to the gospel. I believe we are commanded to keep that desire in all of our day to day personal relationships.
I have many lost loved ones and am friendly in the community as much as possible in all of my business and acquaintances. I do this for the gospel in hope that the people will see the reality of my faith and maybe they will feel God's goodness leading them to repentance so they can repent and believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and be saved from Hell.

I'm all in favor of "lagom', but above that I favor following Jesus Christ. They crucified Him because he violated their "lagom" when He called them names in honest, accurate, and pointed referral to their sins when it was right for Him to do so. He called them liars, thieves, vipers, children of Hell, hypocrites....sometimes you have to speak against sin, and sometimes it's better to bow to cultural "lagom"

Who in the world had better "lagom" than Jesus Christ who could do no wrong? Why was it enough to win only a small percentage of the population to be His followers?

If you operate best in a cultural appeal focusing on "lagom" and alms to the poor as tools to reach people with the gospel of Jesus Christ, that is wonderful.
It is not the only method of reaching people with the Gospel. The only method Jesus commanded is "preach the gospel to every creature". That is what John the Baptist did and the first thing Jesus did after He was baptized was to go preaching the same message John did: repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

I much appreciate and admire anybody who engages in an outreach ministry by using cultural appeal and helps for the poor and needy as tools for luring people in so they might be open to receive the gospel. My heart is more with the street preachers who simply preach the truth in the name of Jesus Christ. so the focus is on the immediacy of the message assuming it is possible for each individual that this preaching is the last time they will hear the gospel
and their last opportunity to receive the Savior before they plunge into Hell.

If you try to say your "lagum" method and cultural appeal and alms to the poor method of befriending people to show them the gospel is better or more important than the street preacher's method, you are saying your method is better than that of John the Baptist and better than that of Jesus Christ who preached before He did any miracles. Also Paul preached, Paul was a street preacher. I see nothing in the Bible that says Paul did anything other than preach everywhere he went whenever he could. He did carry and distribute money among the churches to be used to support those churches, but there is nothing mentioned of any cultural appeal programs.

Again, the fact that this type of program is not in the Bible is not intened to belittle what you are doing. It is only meant to point out why my heart is with the street preachers, and why I think we need more street preachers. Everywhere you go you hear the preaching of evil in the music and advertisements of the world. The word of God is whispered or softly spoken(which is good and wonderful in ministerial efforts such as yours)when it worthy of being shouted. Street preachers shout it because Jesus said to preach the gospel to every creature.

My heart is with the street preachers. I will never talk bad about street preachers, even when I think their methods are poor or counterproductive. Some I have seen are extremely abrasive and repulsive, but I still respect them for loudly proclaiming the truth against sin in an effort to get people to see they need to be saved from Hell.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SaintJoeNow

Mar 4, 2015
USA
✟3,191.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
We love them like Jesus did when He walked the streets here on earth. Sometimes with words, sometimes without. Such love is evident, and wins hearts, minds, and souls just like Jesus did. People are hungry for love and grace. In the midst of that, words lodge in hearts, minds, and souls, and take root there.

God bless us, ev'ry one :groupray:

"God says to take good care of strangers, for we could be entertaining angels without knowing it (Heb. 13:2). Jesus said whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me." ~Bryan (Jesuswashomeless.org)

yep, whatever seems best for your talents at the moment. If you have a dope dealer in front of your house, you might confront them and ask them if anybody is praying for them hoping they get saved and don't destroy themselves completely. Or you might walk out their with your Bible in hand and start preaching at them, maybe even hit them over the head with your Bible if they say "If God is real, let Him hit me on the head". Then you can tell them God used you to hit them on the head, and tell them God loves them and Jesus took their place in death and He is God who rose bodily from the dead offering them forgiveness. Then tell them they better never show their faces on your sidewalk again unless they have a testimony of how the met Jesus and got saved so that the prayers of relatives who love them are answered.

Don't forget Jesus boldly spoke against sin in many of the people He encountered, and that is why they crucified Him. People were following Him and they were jealous after Jesus pointed out their sin by calling them vipers, children of Hell, hypocrites, blind leaders of the blind, whitewashed tombs...Jesus preached against sin while he showed love to people. The two go hand in hand. Jesus was a street preacher. And He did good works. The religious leaders hated Him for his preaching. Jesus could not win them with good works, and He could not win them with His word. That's the way it's always going to be. Most people will reject the gospel no matter what you do, no matter what you say, and if we follow Jesus, the world is going to hate us the same as they hated Him. If we are really following Jesus, people who love their sin and will not believe the gospel will hate Christians. If any will live godly in Christ Jesus, he will suffer persecution. That's the way it is.

Upvote 0