Feb 20, 2006
✟63,827.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Supposedly Phil Collins wrote this haunting song for a special performance (which later turned into a huge hit). Phil had nearly drowned and a man who could have saved him chose not to. He performed the song with the man as an invitee and sang that part of the song while looking at him in the audience.

"If you told me you were drowning, I would not lend a hand./ I've seen your face before my friend, but I don't know if you know who I am."

The man tried to run away (out of guilt) but fortunately the police caught him before he got away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gz7gajAb2ww

larry_boy_44

Oct 15, 2008
Wisconsin, USA
✟642.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I appreciate the link, however I don't trust Snopes by any means. I've found some ridiculous conclusions about several things there.

lol

thier conclusions <> thier fact-checking

there's a huge difference...

although you aren't the first person to say that to me, yet I've yet to have anyone show me anything that isn't trust-worthy on snopes...

Upvote 0

radhead

Contributor
Feb 20, 2006
✟63,827.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Okay, I'll give my opinion of one Snopes article. I'm not going to mention the case. But their evidence was based completely upon the lawyer and a representative for only one side of a case. I'd rather not say what it was, though. I lost a lot of respect for them after reading that particular article.

Upvote 0

larry_boy_44

Oct 15, 2008
Wisconsin, USA
✟642.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Okay, I'll give my opinion of one Snopes article. I'm not going to mention the case. But their evidence was based completely upon the lawyer and a representative for only one side of a case. I'd rather not say what it was, though. I lost a lot of respect for them after reading that particular article.

so you're giving your opinion of an article you refuse to name because its one-sided??

What exactly do you call what you are doing right now?

Upvote 0

radhead

Contributor
Feb 20, 2006
✟63,827.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
It's fine if you don't believe it. I'm just saying I don't consider Snopes to be an authoritative source in general. (I didn't mention the other case because I didn't want this to turn into a debate about that.)

Phil could deny it even if it were true. He had no idea it would turn into a monster hit. I mean this song was huge in it's day.

Upvote 0

larry_boy_44

Oct 15, 2008
Wisconsin, USA
✟642.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
It's fine if you don't believe it. I'm just saying I don't consider Snopes to be an authoritative source in general.

Phil could deny it even if it were true. He had no idea it would turn into a monster hit. I mean this song was huge in it's day.

Is Snopes the most reliable place on the planet? No

But what it says is 99.9999% true... and to act like it isn't just because you wish some song was about some absurd event that doesn't even make much sense and because you don't like one of the entries is absurd... Especially when you refuse to actually reveal the entry you have a problrm with...

Upvote 0

Spicy McHaggis

I don't know nothin 'bout birthin no babies
Apr 30, 2002
Chicagoland
✟29,799.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Right.

The guy who wrote the song says it's an urban legend, there's NO PROOF it actually happened, yet we should just assume it's true.

I agree it's more exiting with a cool story around it, but sometimes a song is just a song.

Has anyone ever come forth with ANYTHING credible to say this actually happened? Because so far, the only "source" I have is a cook I used to work with.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

larry_boy_44

Oct 15, 2008
Wisconsin, USA
✟642.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Maybe I'm wrong. But a source like Snopes draws their own conclusions based upon a subjective look at evidence. Just like I do.

but at least Snopes provides the evidence to support thier opinion of the facts...

You don't do that...

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
The man tried to run away (out of guilt) but fortunately the police caught him before he got away.

This is very obviously complete nonsense.

It is neither a criminal nor a civil offense to fail to rescue someone from drowning, and putting the police into the story is a very blatant overegging of this particular pudding. Standing by and watching someone drown is not a crime, although it may be bad mannered or even verge on immoral.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

trOlliJokinen

SoCar Lowlife -- keeping the undead dead since '82
Feb 27, 2008
The G, South Carolina
✟17,699.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Good point. The version I heard could have been a highly embellished version of the truth anyway.

I will say that the first time I heard this story I was completely cynical about it. Then I thought, how could so many people believe it if it were false?

Big Bang Theory.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Supposedly Phil Collins wrote this haunting song for a special performance (which later turned into a huge hit). Phil had nearly drowned and a man who could have saved him chose not to. He performed the song with the man as an invitee and sang that part of the song while looking at him in the audience.

"If you told me you were drowning, I would not lend a hand./ I've seen your face before my friend, but I don't know if you know who I am."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gz7gajAb2ww

love the song...it symbolizes a lot, whether the story is true or not, doesn't it. the song is one of my all time favorites.

Upvote 0
R

rachey88

Thats not the story I heard...

I heard he saw a boy drowning and this certain man was within feet of the young boy and didn't try to save him. He just walked away. Phil, was running over to try and help. But didn't make it time. He wrote the song found the man and gave him free front row center tickets and sang the song directly to him. And made the story public at the show... and after the show the man tried to run from police and was killed by angry concert goers.

Upvote 0

Tamara224

Jan 13, 2006
Wyoming
✟40,734.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Good point. The version I heard could have been a highly embellished version of the truth anyway.

I will say that the first time I heard this story I was completely cynical about it. Then I thought, how could so many people believe it if it were false?

Seriously? :doh: Um... since when is the truth established by how many people believe something?

People believe it because they want to. And then when they're presented with evidence that contradicts the belief they say things like: I don't trust the source of contradiction; and a lot of people believe it's true so it must be true.

Upvote 0