Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
While it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if at least some of it was faked - i.e. if nothing of interest was found they may have them "find" something, I wouldn't count Hester as a reliable source here. He's a slighted party, so I wouldn't be surprised if he's exaggerating things. At least it's not as fake as the other Storage show on TruTV. That one is completely staged much like all the other shows on that channel.

I knew a guy who is a producer on several reality shows (mostly home improvement type shows). He says pretty much all of them are either fake or have significant portions of the show faked. All the drama you see about things like "Oh my gosh, this floor is all rotted! What are we going to DO?!" was known about well ahead of time and planned for or blown completely out of proportion.

House Hunters? Fake - the people in the show already bought or are under contract on a house before they film. They just do a walk through of the house the people are buying already, plus two similar houses. Apparently it's funny when they get walked through a house that is preferable to the house that they've already bought. I assume "Love it or List it" is similar - people have already bought a new place and are renovating their existing place to sell better or are simply renovating their existing home and have no intentions of moving.

Not that it matters all that much. A well shot show makes it fairly irrelevant as to whether or not it's faked. Storage Wars is interesting whether fake or not because the characters in it are pretty interesting and they don't tend to go overboard. It's entertaining.

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Never heard of it. It doesn't surprise me, though- we have many reality shows in the UK that are staged, or at least partially faked. I tend not to watch the garbage that is reality television anyway, so it doesn't affect me.

I have to admit, I watch Hardcore Pawn on occassion. I know it's fake, but it really does remind me of this job I had at a grocery store in college. :D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I knew a guy who is a producer on several reality shows (mostly home improvement type shows). He says pretty much all of them are either fake or have significant portions of the show faked. All the drama you see about things like "Oh my gosh, this floor is all rotted! What are we going to DO?!" was known about well ahead of time and planned for or blown completely out of proportion.

House Hunters? Fake - the people in the show already bought or are under contract on a house before they film. They just do a walk through of the house the people are buying already, plus two similar houses. Apparently it's funny when they get walked through a house that is preferable to the house that they've already bought. I assume "Love it or List it" is similar - people have already bought a new place and are renovating their existing place to sell better or are simply renovating their existing home and have no intentions of moving.

Not that it matters all that much. A well shot show makes it fairly irrelevant as to whether or not it's faked. Storage Wars is interesting whether fake or not because the characters in it are pretty interesting and they don't tend to go overboard. It's entertaining.

One of my tasks at my last job was to produce reality-esque videos for our web site (with the subject matter being sessions that took place in our recording studio). One of the things I learned (I had zero prior video experience) was that it's practically impossible to get any usable material without it being scripted ahead of time. People, generally, are boring and make for lousy tv. Even with everything so contrived on these shows, they still have to shoot hundreds of hours of footage for each episode.

-Dan.

Upvote 0