luchsgud

Oct 11, 2010
Forbes NSW Australia
✟7,849.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Hey all, this is just a happy story about my relationship with my son - he's 13 this year [my youngest].

We spend a lot of time together. He works with me, we play video & internet games together, and I still read to him [with him if you like. I read, he listens, we discuss and laugh along with the story]. Just now our favourite read is the discworld series by Terry Pratchet (reading Thief of Time at the mo). They're a lot of nonsense but its fun.

We dj on the local radio together, discuss the Bible and faith a lot, and give each other a hard time.

LOL. Anyone here think I'm going to have problems as an empty-nester?

Better enjoy it while it lasts, huh?

My advice to all you dads with young children... spend oodles of time with them. Its really beneficial.

Singermom

Jul 20, 2010
✟9,298.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think that's wonderful. My brother has a similar relationship with his son, who is 17 now, and a nicer, handsomer, respectful, fun, Christ-filled teen you'll be hard put to find.

My girls are still little, but my 7-year-old actually prefers to read to ME! She is such an incredible reader, too...she reads with feeling and emotion. She also reads to her little sister a lot.

Upvote 0

Spiritmace

Morally sound, thank you very much.
Nov 9, 2010
Bristol, United Kingdom
✟7,660.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
A the end of the day, there's no right or wrong way to bring up a child - it's one of the reasons the human race is so diverse. Right now, if reading to your teen makes you and him happy, then why stop?

In response to the "empty nester" comment, maybe once your son has moved out, buy a hamster/budgie. I hear they reciprocate love quite easily.

Upvote 0