Virginia
✟329,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
My baptismal cross is made of sterling silver and I wear it under my shirt so it's definitely gotten some tarnish build up just from sweat and normal wear and tear -- does anyone have advice on how to clean it from their experience (with a baptismal cross or otherwise)? Can I just use like soap and water or do I need to go out and get something specific to polish it?

And moving forward - any suggestions on how to take care of it so it doesn't get as tarnished?

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
My baptismal cross is made of sterling silver and I wear it under my shirt so it's definitely gotten some tarnish build up just from sweat and normal wear and tear -- does anyone have advice on how to clean it from their experience (with a baptismal cross or otherwise)? Can I just use like soap and water or do I need to go out and get something specific to polish it?

And moving forward - any suggestions on how to take care of it so it doesn't get as tarnished?

They do have silver polish and things like that on the market, but I've had a good deal of success just using some warm water and baking soda and/or rubbing alcohol. Since you probably already have those things around the house, I'd give them a try first. You may also need a small brush like a toothbrush to work the baking soda into small areas.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,467,220.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
They do have silver polish and things like that on the market, but I've had a good deal of success just using some warm water and baking soda and/or rubbing alcohol. Since you probably already have those things around the house, I'd give them a try first. You may also need a small brush like a toothbrush to work the baking soda into small areas.

interesting, because I always would always take my stuff somewhere. good to know, thanks!

Upvote 0

AMM

A Beggar
Site Supporter
May 2, 2017
Virginia
✟329,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
thanks, it's in a little baking soda bath right now :) I'll let you know if it works!

• Friendly
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
thanks, it's in a little baking soda bath right now :) I'll let you know if it works!

Great! If it doesn't seem to be helping in the bath, try the baking soda in a thicker paste and let it sit on the cross for a few minutes before cleaning it off. A microfiber cloth to rub it shiny afterwards is good too and will remove lingering tarnish!

If you have no luck with the baking soda by itself, I've heard (though not tried) that boiling the silver in a pot with some aluminum foil along with baking soda will work.

I've heard of success with ketchup, toothpaste, and white vinegar and baking soda also can work. Oh and lemon juice and salt! (If you resort to trying lemon and salt though, I'd be very gentle as you don't want to scratch the silver. I wonder if lemon and baking soda would work for silver. Never tried it, but it's gentler than salt.)

Make sure that everything is rinsed and dried very well after any of these methods.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Be careful - sometimes there are surprising chemical reactions that inadvertently plate metals. I'm not very familiar with it all - I'd have to read up to remind myself. But it's true that many simple household methods can clean jewelry.

I recently did a silver ring with an aquamarine stone, but the stone was the main thing I had to be careful of. The silver wasn't really tarnished and came clean with gentle soaps and polishing.

• Agree
Reactions: bekkilyn
Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
Be careful - sometimes there are surprising chemical reactions that inadvertently plate metals. I'm not very familiar with it all - I'd have to read up to remind myself. But it's true that many simple household methods can clean jewelry.

I recently did a silver ring with an aquamarine stone, but the stone was the main thing I had to be careful of. The silver wasn't really tarnished and came clean with gentle soaps and polishing.

Agree, the things I suggest are *only* for the silver. If there are stones or other such things involved, some or all of the above may not work. Some forms of crystals, for example, will *dissolve* in water, so I'm hoping my understanding was correct that this cross was made completely out of the sterling silver.

Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If you have no luck with the baking soda by itself, I've heard (though not tried) that boiling the silver in a pot with some aluminum foil along with baking soda will work.

Make sure that everything is rinsed and dried very well after any of these methods.

This will work. The tarnish will be reversed to pure silver and re-deposited on the cross.
A little salt in the water will help.
Use new foil each time.

Upvote 0

AMM

A Beggar
Site Supporter
May 2, 2017
Virginia
✟329,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
It helped... some! I'm going to try the paste this weekend, I think, as there's still some tarnish on the back. But the front of the cross is significantly shinier now. Thanks for all the help! Maybe if the paste doesn't work I'll try the boiling water with foil thing

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
It helped... some! I'm going to try the paste this weekend, I think, as there's still some tarnish on the back. But the front of the cross is significantly shinier now. Thanks for all the help! Maybe if the paste doesn't work I'll try the boiling water with foil thing

Yay! Progress!

• Friendly
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums