Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Welcome to Starting Seven, The Pillar’s daily newsletter.

I’m Luke Coppen and I aim to guide you each weekday morning to the most interesting Catholic news and comment.

Today’s saint: St. Leander of Seville (Roman Martyrology).

Today’s readings: 2 Kgs 5:1-15ab ▪ Ps 42:2, 3; 43:3, 4 ▪ Lk 4:24-30.

Today’s anniversary: 10th anniversary of Pope Francis’ election.

Starting seven

1: Pope Francis marked 10 years since his election with a Mass with cardinals at his residence.

2: The pope has given 10th anniversary interviews to Il Fatto Quotidiano, Infobae, La Nación, Perfil, RSI, and Vatican media.

3: Nicaragua has proposed suspending relations with the Holy See.

4: Patriarch Kirill of Moscow has congratulated Francis on his 10th anniversary and also asked the pope to intervene in a dispute over the Kyiv Pechersk Lavra (Russian statement).

5: A spokesman for Poland’s bishops’ conference has said that Archbishop Marian Gołębiewski violated restrictions on his ministry when he concelebrated the episcopal ordination Mass of Bishop Sławomir Oder (Polish statement, report).

6: Elise Ann Allen, John Allen, Christopher Altieri, Cardinal Miguel Ángel Ayuso Guixot, Cardinal Aquilino Bocos Merino, Msgr. Philippe Bordeyne, Massimo Borghesi, Maria Antonietta Calabrò, Fr. Raymond J. de Souza, Cardinal Kevin Farrell, Alberto Fernández, Stefano Fontana, Archbishop Stanislaw Gądecki, Andrea Gagliarducci, Cardinal Mario Grech, Andrea Grillo, Jean-Marie Guénois, Dan Hitchens, Fr. Stan Chu Ilo, Marco Impagliazzo, Cardinal Konrad Krajewski, Fr. Roger Landry, Archbishop Jorge Lozano, Sr. Hermenegild Makoro, Msgr. Armando Matteo, Patriarch Bartholomew I, Robert Royal, Br. Michael Schopf, S.J., and Amaya Valcárcel Silvela, José Francisco Serrano Oceja, Rabbi Abraham Skorka, Damian Thompson, Andrea Tornielli and Andrea Monda, Giovanni Maria Vian, and Christopher White reflect on 10 years of Pope Francis.

7: And a priest in Colombia has reportedly objected to a murdered politician’s request to be buried upright.

Continued below.