✟22,581.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
sgp07.jpg

When I told my mom that St. Patrick is a Western saint of the Orthodox Church, she suggested that we should march as a church congregation in the St. Patrick's Day Parade. Not a bad idea, eh?

http://orthodoxwiki.org/Patrick_of_Ireland

Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I talked with our deacon today about our chances of getting St. Patrick even mentioned this month on his feast day, and despite our deacon's strong desire to see it happen, he said the chances of that going down were about nill....

I told him that if Orthodoxy is ever going to emerge from this ethnic conclave status into a legitimate competitor to Catholicism and Protestantism and grow into a major force in North American religion, it would have to reach out to Western things. St. Patrick is an obvious bone to throw to we Western fans. This was always a concern of mine upon entering Orthodoxy---that Western things would be shunned because they're western. While Pope Leo was on the bulletin today and mentioned once in the prayers, I normally don't hear any Western saints. St. Patrick is huge in the West and I miss that. If Orthodoxy is to grow, it needs to carry a holistic flavor and not just the Eastern saints and traditions....

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I just want to come in and venerate an icon of St. Patrick holding the shamrock...just once! :thumbsup::crosseo:

Also, I know of at least three of us in our parish that have St. Patrick for their saint, so we hear a lot of "Servant of God, Patrick..." in our parish during the eucharist.

Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
sgp07.jpg

When I told my mom that St. Patrick is a Western saint of the Orthodox Church, she suggested that we should march as a church congregation in the St. Patrick's Day Parade. Not a bad idea, eh?

Patrick of Ireland - OrthodoxWiki

Interesting idea. I dont know what part of the country your from but in NY St Patricks day is more of a secular Irish celebration than a religious one. That and the ancient order of hibernians that organizes the parade is a RC affiliated organization, so probaby marching under our own banner wont happen.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,190.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I talked with our deacon today about our chances of getting St. Patrick even mentioned this month on his feast day, and despite our deacon's strong desire to see it happen, he said the chances of that going down were about nill....

I told him that if Orthodoxy is ever going to emerge from this ethnic conclave status into a legitimate competitor to Catholicism and Protestantism and grow into a major force in North American religion, it would have to reach out to Western things. St. Patrick is an obvious bone to throw to we Western fans. This was always a concern of mine upon entering Orthodoxy---that Western things would be shunned because they're western. While Pope Leo was on the bulletin today and mentioned once in the prayers, I normally don't hear any Western saints. St. Patrick is huge in the West and I miss that. If Orthodoxy is to grow, it needs to carry a holistic flavor and not just the Eastern saints and traditions....

So... am I correct in my understanding that essentially your parish isn't acknowledging him because it's a Serbian parish and he worked in Ireland which has a strong Catholic affiliation? Or am I off the mark here?

I wonder if the OCA venerates him and celebrates his feast day? It falls on a Sunday this year... I'm going to ask my priest about that. :D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
lucky sucker, you had to rub it in my face! LOL...we're pretty much all Eastern saints where I am...the Sts Xenia, Demetrios, Cappadocian Fathers, etc.

I don't think we're in any situation where I'll run into St. Hilary of Potiers or St. Patrick or St. Augustine any time soon! ^_^

We've got his icon on our parish wall. I venerate him everytime I'm there. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
sgp07.jpg

Patrick of Ireland - OrthodoxWiki

not a bad idea at all I must say. sounds awesome

and I have a T shirt that says St Patrick is Orthodox.

Upvote 0

Yoder777

Senior Veteran
Nov 11, 2010
✟22,581.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why don't you just ask your priest if it would be okay to get an icon of St. Patrick (or other saint you hold in particularly high regard) and donate it to the parish?

Wow. That's a good idea. I might do that. The only problem is that icons can get rather expensive when you order them online.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Exactly. When my wife finally gets a job and we have $$$, then it's a real possibility!

Wow. That's a good idea. I might do that. The only problem is that icons can get rather expensive when you order them online.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Not to derail this thread, but I read the Orthodox wiki page about St. Patrick and can't figure out what this means:

During his episcopate, he was attacked for a sin he confessed to a close friend, a sin he committed "in a single hour" when only 15, but he did not suffer as a result.

Any ideas?
I don't know. This is the only thing I found:

Around the age of fourteen, Patrick was captured during a raiding party and taken to Ireland as a slave.

Saint Silouan Orthodox Church: Patrick of Ireland

Upvote 0

Mary of Bethany

Only one thing is needful.
Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2004
✟341,456.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
So... am I correct in my understanding that essentially your parish isn't acknowledging him because it's a Serbian parish and he worked in Ireland which has a strong Catholic affiliation? Or am I off the mark here?

I wonder if the OCA venerates him and celebrates his feast day? It falls on a Sunday this year... I'm going to ask my priest about that. :D

Yes, he should be commemorated on the 17th. He's on the Calendar . . . . unless it gets pushed down because of Forgiveness Sunday . . . . I'm not sure how things like that work.
Mary

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Not to derail this thread, but I read the Orthodox wiki page about St. Patrick and can't figure out what this means:

During his episcopate, he was attacked for a sin he confessed to a close friend, a sin he committed "in a single hour" when only 15, but he did not suffer as a result.

Any ideas?

maybe there was something he did after being taken by pirates, as Dot pointed out. when we sin, we bring suffering upon ourselves, and since he was holy, he could see that he didn't for whatever reason.

maybe? just some thoughts.

Upvote 0