benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Regarding Divine Mercy, perhaps the best gift I was ever given was by a fellow member of this forum, some 8 years ago. My Dad was dying, and without prompting, she prayed the Chaplet for him as he died, just as I was. She did it without being asked, and I was very grateful for it.
and that's charity. we don't do stuff for a reward, we do it because it's the right thing to do and the Sprint moves us to do it. But that we do it does have merit and gains us merit. It makes up for the sins that cloud us and stain us. It's applied to the temporal punishment our sins reap. But it can only do so by how much growth it leads us. We aren't doing it as an exchange. We're doing it because we are good people and the Holy Spirit made us that way to the extent we let Him. Sin harms us and hardens us, makes us selfish and self serving. Christianity forgives us and softens us to the needs of others. It's only by that grace we can do it.

Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
I said souls---not damned souls who reject God.

ok we got mixed up on terminology here.

What i would call repentance (used both for the initial response of a sinner to the conviction of their sins, and for the response to all subsequent convictions of sin) ,
Catholics call contrition.

try this one.
Contrition

1451 Among the penitent's acts contrition occupies first place. Contrition is "sorrow of the soul and detestation for the sin committed, together with the resolution not to sin again."50

so is there a place in purgatory for contrition?

Upvote 0

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I don't know. I always thought it was for purification, not repenting but I guess part of purification is repentance. I know here on earth there is perfect and imperfect contrition and perfect contrition removes all temporal punishment due to sin. And perfect contrition is repenting out of love of God and not because you don't want to go to hell.

Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic
May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Goatee

Jesus, please forgive me, a sinner.
Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
I used to say the chaplet every day. I have also been on a pilgrimage to Poland and went and stayed next to the shrine of St Faustina. It was a lovely experience.

I have gone half way through her diary.

I really am not sure what to believe these days. I am open to what she says in her diary but i am so unsure.

Reactions: MikeK
Upvote 0

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Well, bless you, antletems. Just keep in mind that this is private revelation and we are not required to read this because we have been given the deposit of faith. The rule of thumb is since we have been given the deposit of faith already from the apostles of Jesus, as long any private revelation does not contradict the faith we have long been given we are free to believe it piously. This is a devotion that not all of us are required to practice. The Church says it is worthy of belief and I personally do believe the diary but not everyone has to. JPll gave us Divine Mercy Sunday and that we can not argue against but the diary itself we do not have to accept all of it.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.