Aug 17, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟20,668.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Hey, can someone help me? I'm trying to remember the name of a woman saint who spent her whole life dressed up like a man so that she could live as a monk. I was thinking about her story because a woman accused the saint of fathering her illegitimate child and the saint, refusing to exonerate herself by revealing her sex, accepted responsibility for the child, and the thought of that really touched me.

Does anybody know what her name is, her name day, and the year she was born into heaven?

Upvote 0

Emmanuel-A

Cedant arma togae, concedat laurea linguae
Mar 11, 2005
Paris
✟10,084.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Matrona said:
Hey, can someone help me? I'm trying to remember the name of a woman saint who spent her whole life dressed up like a man so that she could live as a monk. I was thinking about her story because a woman accused the saint of fathering her illegitimate child and the saint, refusing to exonerate herself by revealing her sex, accepted responsibility for the child, and the thought of that really touched me.

Does anybody know what her name is, her name day, and the year she was born into heaven?

Was it not Saint Marina of Lebanon ?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DivineFiliation

Dyslexics of the world untie!
Mar 29, 2004
✟4,208.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Rillian, to answer your question regarding my boss... I haven't confronted him and have realized that he has a problem with disagreeing with people in a nice way. I intend to have the conversation with him because I think he offends people he shouldn't and either 1) doesn't mean to or 2) doesn't care. I think he does care but doesn't realize what he does.

Since then we have not had any conversations on religion. Unfortuantely, I have a Catholic co-worker who is not the most knowledgable Catholic and will bash the church if she would fit in with others because of it. :sigh:

Upvote 0

ExOrienteLux

The thread killer
Jul 30, 2004
✟9,795.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Kinda dead today, though.... I know how to liven it up...

Barkeep! A round of Guinness Extra Stout for the house!

BPC%20Guinness%20Shamrock.jpg

Reactions: gzt
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟118,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I just noticed people [prodromos] were concerned about my previous discussion of new career options on the previous Taverna. I've been considering for years whether or not to be a research mathematician and I'm quite capable of doing so, it's still a question of volition and not lack of opportunity [or lack of appropriate grades]. But, you know, sometimes you step back, take a moment, and wonder, "Do I really want to do this?"

Upvote 0

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟118,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
so for some reason i'm subscribed to the email church bulletin of the protestant church i grew up in, and i'm too lazy to unsubscribe and, after all, it's an easy way of keeping track of my extended family since they all go there [ie, "oh, snap, uncle x is in the hospital and y is getting married...']. the bulletin mentioned that somebody was preaching on the psalms this month and wanted as many people as possible to tell him via email what their favorite psalm is and possibly why, so i got excited and ortho-trolled him. i just could not resist.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.