St. Euphrosynos Taverna and Ouzeri 44 (6)

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟118,846.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
It's amazing the things one does to avoid problems while in the Keys with a hundred drunken sailors :cool:
I mean, what can you do with a drunk sailor? What CAN you do with a drunken sailor?

Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟137,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Blue Bloods is one as well. add that one to the list
I've been meaning to get into Blue Bloods. Probably will once I finish catching up on The Walking Dead. Anything with Tom Selleck's mustache can't be that bad!

I mean, what can you do with a drunk sailor? What CAN you do with a drunken sailor?
Throw him in the brig until he's sober ;)

Or in the case of one who flooded half the building, make her work the flight line a few hours to sweat it all out :ebil:

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,470,649.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I've been meaning to get into Blue Bloods. Probably will once I finish catching up on The Walking Dead. Anything with Tom Selleck's mustache can't be that bad!

my wife got me into it, it's a good one.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Officially just got done with my last day of physical therapy! I'm officially graduated and have the go ahead to get back to full activity with my shoulder!!
Thank God! Good news! :)

Reactions: All4Christ
Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,025,029.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Beautiful services this weekend! We were blessed to have Abbot Tryphon and Bishop Mark at our parish for Vespers, and we had a hierarchical liturgy with Bishop Mark this morning. The hierarchical liturgy definitely kept all of us in the choir on our toes! We had a nice full choir though, so it turned out well.

For all in the PA / NJ region, Abbot Tryphon is having a talking tour in the area. Wednesday, he is speaking at Christ the Savior in Harrisburg, and Thursday he is speaking at St. Mark's in Wrightstown, PA. Well worth the listen if you are in the area!

Reactions: ArmyMatt
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I honestly think our choir was off a bit today (yesterday now - it's been a long, unusual day).

I was thinking how we often don't have the organ, but we are able to do fine without it. We had the organ this time, but they made several mistakes. Our first soprano was a bit off in that she kept stopping (maybe she's getting sick, but I hope not), and there were several timing mistakes, especially when the director decided to change places in one song and some people didn't catch it (that one was definitely noticeable to the congregation, I think).

But I wonder how many they notice. I'm trying to remember if there were ever any mistakes I caught while I was in the congregation. And we do make them sometimes. Though pretty much never like today. Maybe folks were tired from last weekend, but I was glad for the practice. One of the hymns we did last weekend was one I was unsure of, but now I know it pretty well.

It was good to be in the choir. I love singing in Church. :)

Upvote 0

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,025,029.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
If you're not sure and the bishop is looking at you, sing Eis Polla.
So true! Thankfully we got that part (mostly!), though it was important to not just follow the music and to watch our director as there were a few unexpected times that deviated from the choir book. :)

I think the hardest parts were when the different priests and deacons did things differently than planned (we had 4 priests and several deacons). For example, sometimes the clergy decided to sing parts that weren't communicated ahead of time to our director; also, one deacon chanted some portions that we thought we would be singing, etc. etc.

It was a great experience though to have the bishop, plus multiple priests and deacons serving at our parish!

Upvote 0

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,025,029.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Let me guess: the trisagion was confusing.
Exactly. We've had hierarchical liturgies before, but only had two priests (different than this time), and only two deacons. It was different than the last time, so I'm guessing there may be some variations on how it is done? We had everything marked with where the clergy would sing and where we came in, but it was different than planned. The other part that tripped us up a bit was how long it took for four priests as well as the bishop to do whatever they do during the cherubic hymn, plus the special parts for the bishop. It wasn't a problem, since we had the section marked to repeat, but it was repeated quite a few times!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The best I can do with singing is singing my alma mater in two different keys! :sorry:
Well, I'm still VERY unsure of myself, and am tempted to "hide" beneath the other voices. The director keeps telling me I'm doing well though, and if I get anything it is to sing louder. I try, but I really am lacking in confidence.

I found an arrangement of the Great Doxology online by a person singing just her voice, and she sings my part, so I practice with that and it helps. She has one or two of our other usual songs too. Now if I could just find them all. I only just realized just how much of the Liturgy is sung. We often have around 20 or more songs listed on the board for each week (though many are very short).

Upvote 0

Shieldmaiden4Christ

Eastward bound
Aug 28, 2013
Where the Wild Things Are
✟16,564.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Well, I'm still VERY unsure of myself, and am tempted to "hide" beneath the other voices. The director keeps telling me I'm doing well though, and if I get anything it is to sing louder. I try, but I really am lacking in confidence.

Part of my problem with singing is that I slip back and forth between the melody and the harmony, and that's disconcerting for myself and everyone around me!

Upvote 0

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟118,846.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Exactly. We've had hierarchical liturgies before, but only had two priests (different than this time), and only two deacons. It was different than the last time, so I'm guessing there may be some variations on how it is done? We had everything marked with where the clergy would sing and where we came in, but it was different than planned. The other part that tripped us up a bit was how long it took for four priests as well as the bishop to do whatever they do during the cherubic hymn, plus the special parts for the bishop. It wasn't a problem, since we had the section marked to repeat, but it was repeated quite a few times!
Yeah, the bishop essentially does the proskomedia at the cherubic hymn instead of before the liturgy, and some more stuff goes on, so you've got to go extra long there. As for the trisagion, everybody flubs it unless they coordinate beforehand.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,025,029.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
So I really was hoping to go to the talk with Abbot Tryphon tonight...and now I'm not sure if I can get out of work in time to go. :-/ I thought about going to the talk tomorrow in Wrightstown but that's two hours away and definitely not feasible with when I get out of work.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
So I really was hoping to go to the talk with Abbot Tryphon tonight...and now I'm not sure if I can get out of work in time to go. :-/ I thought about going to the talk tomorrow in Wrightstown but that's two hours away and definitely not feasible with when I get out of work.
:(

Upvote 0