✟16,466.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Spurgeon's Morning and Evening Devotions

I remember from years ago these devotions giving me peace to a very troubled state of mind, thorns that don't seem will ever go away. I welcome all of you to read and comment, and if I miss a day you are welcome to go to the Spurgeon website (a LOT of written material; sermons, devotionals, meditations, etc.. where it's all public and type it out or copy/paste. I believe I read Spurgeon has the most recorded writings than any other preacher. There's also a good short video biography of his life on YouTube below along with an amazing audio sermon on prayer.

Morning and Evening/Faith's Checkbook - http://www.spurgeon.org/daily
The Life of Charles Spurgeon (bio) -
Charles Spurgeon - True Prayer, True Power! (1860) Mark 11:24 -

This is the Crossway "New Edition of the Classic Devotional Based on the Holy Bible, English Standard Version - Revised and updated by Alistair Begg" The verses might be the only thing changed; from KJV to ESV. You can hear the old English but maybe some words we wouldn't know now were changed; I'm not sure. I promise it's great.

"Morning by morning he awakens; he awakens my ear to hear as those who are taught." - Isaiah 50:4

"My soul will be satisfied as with fat and rich food, and my mouth will praise you with joyful lips, when I remember you upon my bed, and meditate on you in the watches of the night." - Psalm 63:5-6

wmc1982

Aka "Will" :)
Jul 28, 2006
NC, United States
✟16,466.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
May 28 - Morning
http://www.spurgeon.org/morn_eve/this_morning.cgi

Whom He Justified He also Glorified - Romans 8:30

Here is a precious truth for you, believer. You may be poor or suffering or unknown, but for your encouragement take a moment to review your calling and the consequences that flow from it, and especially the blessed result spoken of here. As surely as you are God's child today, so surely will all your trials soon come to an end, and you shall be rich to an extent that is hard to imagine. Wait awhile, and your weary head will wear the crown of glory, and the worker's hand shall grasp the palm-branch of victory. Do not bemoan your troubles, but rather rejoice that before long you will be where no longer "shall there be mourning nor crying nor pain anymore. The chariots of fire are at your door, and it will only take a moment to transport you to the glorified. The everlasting song is almost on your lip. The portals of heaven stand open for you. Do not think that you can fail to enter into your rest. If He has called you, nothing can divide you from His love. Distress cannot sever the bond; the fire of persecution cannot burn the link; the hammer of hell cannot break the chain. You are secure; that voice which called you at first shall call you yet again from earth to heaven, from death's dark gloom to immortality's unutterd splendors. Rest assured, the heart fo Him who has justified you beats with infinite love toward you. You will soon be with the glorified, where your portion is; you are only waiting here to be made ready for the inheritance, and with that done, the wings of angels shall carry you far away, to the mount of peace and joy and blessedness, where

Far from a world of grief and sin,
With God eternally shut in,

you shall rest forever and ever."

Wow, see that's just amazing to me. As Christians we are called to suffer along with Christ. The World hates us as it did Him; we have an enemy that has been defeated but has much influence to cause pain, especially if we fail to abide in Christ. Also our spirit's are trapped inside this vessel of death and remnants of sin that we hate but still can't break fully free with sanctification until we are glorified.

So the incredible contrast from what we face now to be fully at rest with no more pain or sorry for all eternity? It's so amazing I have much trouble wrapping my mind around it and how it can possibly be true. But I know it is from God's Word. We can't ever know the fullness of glorification until we get there. But for now we can stay in the Word and set times for deep prayer and meditation with our Father; and let all those troubles fade away for a little while while we rest in His Word down here, knowing the glory to come when we will finally see His face.

Upvote 0

wmc1982

Aka "Will" :)
Jul 28, 2006
NC, United States
✟16,466.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yea, there's no way I can type these daily; too much going on (the reason I need them, Spurgeon knows how bad depression gets; he had stomach ulcers from it). Still want to post Spurgeon sermons and devotions when I can. Going days without sleeping and the bi-polar mania is driving me insane, then I go into deep depression after I wear my brain out. Lol, I am so messed up, getting close to getting ECT....

This is looking very good so far - Spurgeon - Fear Not-

(on how hard the trials get and how we don't realize as new converts how much harder life gets being a Christian, and how long term Christians have "dark times"

On that thought - Here's William Cowper (attempted suicide multiple times, always struggled with depression, a great poet)

Amazing, especially if you know about him; even through a horrible contant mental state he still had so much love for Christ - There is a Fountain Filled with Blood -

(More on Cowper -
)

Upvote 0