** SPOILERS** Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince (2)

snoochface

Meet the new boss -- same as the old boss.
Jan 3, 2005
San Marcos, CA
✟175,547.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
notanordinarygirl said:
Oops! Guess I never thought about that! :doh: :D :sorry:
Oh, I wasn't directing that at anyone in particular. I just think it's funny because I see it happen so often on other forums. ;)

Upvote 0

tpk

The Preacher's Kid
Jan 29, 2005
Virginia
Visit site
✟21,844.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Finally it split. I thought it would have happened like a month ago! :D

Anyways... I just re-read books 1 to 3, and noticed something... in book one, when Dumbledore confronts Harry in front of the Mirror of Erised, he said he "don't need a cloak to make myself invisible." I know it won't matter for the last book because Dumbledore is dead anyways, but I don't know why she threw that in there and only even slightly mentioned it once. I thought it might have something to do later on, but can't remember anything about it... *sigh*

Any Ideas?

Upvote 0

snoochface

Meet the new boss -- same as the old boss.
Jan 3, 2005
San Marcos, CA
✟175,547.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Regarding the length of Book 7...

JKR updated her site on Feb 28 and included this note:

"This always happens. I make a plan, it looks nice and neat, then I get to actually write the book and realise that Harry can't possibly do all that in just one chapter. So what I thought were going to be two chapters have now become four. I still don't think the book will be as long as 'Phoenix', but if this keeps happening... no, it won't. I'm looking at the plan, and it can't. Surely. Please."

She doesn't sound too sure to me! ;)

Regarding Dumbledore's comment about making himself invisible, JKR doesn't throw anything into the stories that doesn't end up being important at some point. That said, he could have just been referring to his ability as a legilimens - that perhaps he's been able to know what Harry has been doing (and thinking, and wishing) in other ways than making himself invisible and following him around.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Pope Gonzo

Jul 14, 2003
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟16,540.00
Faith
Christian
So my wife is reading the series (at the end of HBP), and I was reading some stuff over her shoulder, and I found more proof that Harry's scar is a Horcrux. If anyone really wants me to go in depth on the theory, I will, but here's my latest discovery: Dumbledore theorizes that Voldemort used his murder of Frank Bryce to turn Nagini into a Horcrux. Therefore, we know from GoF that there is no visible difference between a Horcrux-creating AK curse and a normal AK curse (notice that JKR cleverly does not tell what Voldemort says when he kills Frank Bryce). From this we also learn that there is no special preparation done for the murder itself, or at least nothing more than a specific incantation. I'm guessing that in order to make an object a Horcrux, the more major magic would be done on the object. So I'd say that Voldemort whispered/thought whatever incantation he needed to prepare that piece of soul to become a Horcrux, and when the AK curse backfired, it melded a piece of his own soul to Harry, in the form of a lightning-shaped scar. But that last part we've gone over :)

A slightly more reaching part of that theory: Voldemort planned to use Harry himself as the final Horcrux, because it would be pure genius. Think about it: nobody is going to check the corpse of an infant for Horcruxes, and after being destroyed by such powerful magic, would Dumbledore himself be able to tell? He wasn't sure if the ring was a Horcrux, so I'm guessing a Horcruxed infant corpse would be indistinguishable from a non-Horcruxed infant corpse (forgive me if this is too coarse). The trophy itself is the grave of Voldemorts Final Challenger, in his own eyes, and when the corpse decays, the piece of soul lives forever in the soil. What would Dumbledore do, Voldemort imagines, destroy the whole world to destroy that one part of his soul?

Reactions: invisiblebabe
Upvote 0

Pope Gonzo

Jul 14, 2003
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟16,540.00
Faith
Christian
Rebbo said:
Dumbeldore might not be dead though. It could be part of his master plan.

I think Dumbledore is dead... aside from the mounds of evidence in the book, Harry needs to be alone. Yes, he will have an ally in Snape towards the end, but Snape will only be there to ensure it's really Voldemort and Harry, one-on-one.

Upvote 0

bumblebee62331

Oct 12, 2005
✟37,794.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Pope Gonzo said:
I think Dumbledore is dead... aside from the mounds of evidence in the book, Harry needs to be alone. Yes, he will have an ally in Snape towards the end, but Snape will only be there to ensure it's really Voldemort and Harry, one-on-one.

I'm still torn on this, but I know that even if he is 'dead' we still haven't seen the last of him. Past headmasters sit on the walls etc....it's magic, Dumbledore will be back, even if it's not... 'in person'. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

notanordinarygirl

Threaten me with immortality.
Oct 29, 2005
Olympia, WA
✟14,535.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
Byootaful said:
I'm still torn on this, but I know that even if he is 'dead' we still haven't seen the last of him. Past headmasters sit on the walls etc....it's magic, Dumbledore will be back, even if it's not... 'in person'. :thumbsup:

I sure do hope that happens! A [HP] world without Dumbledore would be awful! I mean, I know (or at least I think I know) he's dead, but still... :cry:

And on the horcrux theory? I so believe it. Maybe it isn't true, but it would be awesome if Harry's scar is a horcrux. Although I don't think that Voldy really wanted Harry to be a horcrux (if it decays, wouldn't the body-horcrux just be destroyed?), I still think that it's too much of a... erm... coincidence that Harry's scar hurts whenever near Voldemort, or the dreams he had in OotP.

Upvote 0

KristyAnne

Veteran
Sep 17, 2005
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Visit site
✟9,106.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
tpk said:
Finally it split. I thought it would have happened like a month ago! :D

Anyways... I just re-read books 1 to 3, and noticed something... in book one, when Dumbledore confronts Harry in front of the Mirror of Erised, he said he "don't need a cloak to make myself invisible." I know it won't matter for the last book because Dumbledore is dead anyways, but I don't know why she threw that in there and only even slightly mentioned it once. I thought it might have something to do later on, but can't remember anything about it... *sigh*

Any Ideas?

Ooohhh, I'd forgotten all about this. I must get around to re-reading the earlier books one of these days. You're quite observant, I think you've also made a couple of posts in the past picking up on things like this. Well done :)
Pope Gonzo said:
So my wife is reading the series (at the end of HBP), and I was reading some stuff over her shoulder, and I found more proof that Harry's scar is a Horcrux. If anyone really wants me to go in depth on the theory, I will, but here's my latest discovery: Dumbledore theorizes that Voldemort used his murder of Frank Bryce to turn Nagini into a Horcrux. Therefore, we know from GoF that there is no visible difference between a Horcrux-creating AK curse and a normal AK curse (notice that JKR cleverly does not tell what Voldemort says when he kills Frank Bryce). From this we also learn that there is no special preparation done for the murder itself, or at least nothing more than a specific incantation. I'm guessing that in order to make an object a Horcrux, the more major magic would be done on the object. So I'd say that Voldemort whispered/thought whatever incantation he needed to prepare that piece of soul to become a Horcrux, and when the AK curse backfired, it melded a piece of his own soul to Harry, in the form of a lightning-shaped scar. But that last part we've gone over :)

A slightly more reaching part of that theory: Voldemort planned to use Harry himself as the final Horcrux, because it would be pure genius. Think about it: nobody is going to check the corpse of an infant for Horcruxes, and after being destroyed by such powerful magic, would Dumbledore himself be able to tell? He wasn't sure if the ring was a Horcrux, so I'm guessing a Horcruxed infant corpse would be indistinguishable from a non-Horcruxed infant corpse (forgive me if this is too coarse). The trophy itself is the grave of Voldemorts Final Challenger, in his own eyes, and when the corpse decays, the piece of soul lives forever in the soil. What would Dumbledore do, Voldemort imagines, destroy the whole world to destroy that one part of his soul?

Nice! Well, quite gross actually, but nice theory and backing up with canonical evidence :) You know, I never once considered that it would be possible for the piece of soul to survive after the death of a live Horcrux. Really, why is a corpse any different to other inanimate objects used as Horcruxes? Remind me, did Dumbledore make any mention of what happens when a living Horcrux dies, when he discussed Nagini with Harry? I can't remember.

God Bless.

Kristy

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Pope Gonzo

Jul 14, 2003
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟16,540.00
Faith
Christian
As far as I can remember, there is no talk of how a Horcrux is destroyed. We know that Harry destroyed the book with the powerful Basilisk venom, and we also know that Dumbledore received his blackened hand in getting the ring, not destroying it. Now, we know that when Dumbledore has the ring, it is cracked in the black stone... I can't find where in the book it says so, but I'm *pretty* sure that it says that the ring was whole in one of the memories. So the crack was either caused by the curse that was on it that cost Dumbledore his hand, or the crack was caused by the de-Horcruxifying. Personally, I think the curse caused the crack and Dumbledore had to destroy it to destroy the soul shard.

So perhaps Hermione will need to research a way for magical scars to be removed in order for Harry to win in the end. Or maybe Harry has to die in the end, in order to allow Snape the chance to cast the final blow on Voldemort.

Upvote 0

Pope Gonzo

Jul 14, 2003
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟16,540.00
Faith
Christian
A quick note on Dumbledore. I do think that there is one strong possibility that Dumbledore may still be alive (kind of): he could have a Horcrux of his own. We know his magical knowledge is virtually unparalleled, so he would know what a Horcrux is and how to make one, and we have to wonder how he defeated Grindelwald (I think that's his name... I don't have the book in front of me). Did he kill him unnecessarily, causing his soul to splinter? Perhaps young Dumbledore made a terrible mistake with his incredible powers, which is what drove him to become a teacher, to keep others from ever making the same mistake again (basically, he could have been well on his way to being Voldemort before Voldemort, but he turned good).

So my wife is telling me to go to bed. Good night, everyone :)

Upvote 0

tpk

The Preacher's Kid
Jan 29, 2005
Virginia
Visit site
✟21,844.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Can we steer back to horcruxes for a minute and then we can go back to Dumbledore being still alive?

Good. Now, here is a list of suspected horcruxes, if they've been found/destroyed, etc.

1) Professor Quirrel - Destroyed by Harry - Before you blast me from this, hear me out. Lord V put part of his soul into each of his Horcruxes. Lord V said that he was of such little power and strength, he had to have his soul and life in Quirrel. Of course, just a guess. If you wanna prove me wrong, cheers!
2) The Ring - Destroyed By Dumbledore
3) Riddle's Diary - Destroyed By Harry
4) Nagini - Alive - This may be true, and quite ingenious if it is.
5) Harry Potter himself? - I think no. Why? Because he was trying to kill Harry, not make a Horcrux out of him. He had to kill someone to make a horcrux, and harry was probably the one he had to kill.
6) I dunno
7) Something from Ravenclaw.

Here's some proof that Dumbledore may be alive. If you've already been to this site, this is UPDATED, NEW.
Dumbledore's Horcrux This is interesting. PLEASE read! ;)

Upvote 0