Dec 29, 2006
✟453,915.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I came across this issue on one on several sites and I am very interested in what everyone thinks on this as it has crept into my home church..

In his July 2010 keynote sermon, Ted N.C. Wilson, newly elected President of the Seventh-Day Adventist church counseled,
“Stay away from non-biblical spiritual disciplines or methods of spiritual formation that are rooted in mysticism such as contemplative prayer, centering prayer, and the emerging church movement in which they are promoted.”
Why would Elder Wilson ask us to stay away from spiritual disciplines or formation? What do we know about them?

Last edited:

EastCoastRemnant

I Must Decrease That He May Increase
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I came across this issue on one on several sites and i am very interested if what everyone thinks on this as it has crept into my home church..

In his July 2010 keynote sermon, Ted N.C. Wilson, newly elected President of the Seventh-Day Adventist church counseled,
“Stay away from non-biblical spiritual disciplines or methods of spiritual formation that are rooted in mysticism such as contemplative prayer, centering prayer, and the emerging church movement in which they are promoted
Why would Elder Wilson ask us to stay away from spiritual disciplines or formation? What do we know about them?

You need to read the book 'The Omega Rebellion' by Rick Howard to understand what has crept into Adventism in the way of spiritualism... these Jesuit inspired methods are actively being taught in our churches and are being embraced by the progressive crowd as a way to 'experience God'.

Upvote 0

Stryder06

Check the signature
Jan 9, 2009
✟31,839.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
You need to read the book 'The Omega Rebellion' by Rick Howard to understand what has crept into Adventism in the way of spiritualism... these Jesuit inspired methods are actively being taught in our churches and are being embraced by the progressive crowd as a way to 'experience God'.

Read it. Loved it. And I agree with this advice. Prayer that tells us to look inside, or that requires us to empty our minds, etc is dangerous. That's no different from meditation.

Upvote 0

ricker

Feb 25, 2007
Minnesota
✟19,844.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I don't think Jesuits would have anything to do with the emerging church movement, or contemplative or centering prayer, because the RC church hierarchy doesn't approve of them.

Library : A Closer Look at Centering Prayer - Catholic Culture

Upvote 0

EastCoastRemnant

Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I don't think Jesuits would have anything to do with the emerging church movement, or contemplative or centering prayer, because the RC church hierarchy doesn't approve of them.

Library : A Closer Look at Centering Prayer - Catholic Culture

It is derived from Ignatius of Loyola's own teachings... whether the CC 'officially' endorses it now, is of no bearing on where it came from and what it is doing in the Protestannt churches... exactly what the stated goal of the Jesuits was, to destroy the reformation.

http://ignatianspirituality.com/ignatian-prayer/the-spiritual-exercises/

Upvote 0

E.T.Elijah

Brother In Christ
Aug 29, 2011
Bartonville, IL
✟15,311.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
That was a great book. I have also just started reading "Dangers of Comtemplative Prayer" by Howard Perth. Another good book is "Deceived on Purpose", however, it is more about the New Age applications in the purpose driven movement, but does contain some very interesting data on spiritual formation and the like.

Upvote 0

reddogs

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2006
✟453,915.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I came across the book as a friend had it, everyone does need to check it out.

The Omega Rebellion

It speaks directly to the spiritual formation, contemplative prayer, and the emergent church and how they relate to each other. Those Christians who were once involved in the New Age movement and or the Occult are very attuned to these issues because the are uniquely qualified to recognize it for what it is. Rick Howard is among this group of former New Agers. He shows how contemplative prayer is the same as the transcendental meditation just with a changed name.Here is one Ellen White quote the author used when the Adventist church was facing the same heresies a hundred years ago when they were going through the Kellogg debacle.

" We need not the mysticism that is in this book (Kellogg's book). Those who entertain these sophistries will soon find themselves in a position where the enemy can talk to them, and lead them away from God."

The book speaks about the Seventh day Adventist Church and the efforts, that Satan applies in order to replace the pillars of Adventism which Adventists believe with so called new spirituality. Because Rick Howard personally studied and practiced a number of mystical teachings while he wasn't a Christian yet, so in this book he can speak on the subject with authority.

Spiritual formation, contemplative prayer, "lectio divina" and all other teachings and techniques, used for implementing this new spirituality into the ranks of seventh day Adventist, according to the author, are nothing else but modification of the ancient occult practices.

Upvote 0

reddogs

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2006
✟453,915.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It is derived from Ignatius of Loyola's own teachings... whether the CC 'officially' endorses it now, is of no bearing on where it came from and what it is doing in the Protestannt churches... exactly what the stated goal of the Jesuits was, to destroy the reformation.

The Spiritual Exercises – IgnatianSpirituality.com

Well it is sweeping across Adventist churches as I have come across others who go to visit their old churches and find them completely in the grip of this apostasy.

Upvote 0

JojotheBeloved

Part of the Family
Apr 18, 2014
✟8,622.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
From what I've read in the above posts, I can see I might be in the minority in this part of the forum...

but I think the accusations regarding "spiritual formation" mysticism, and different types of prayer are a load of [insert chosen veggie expletive here]. I think it's the devil making some people paranoid - getting them to focus on him instead of on Jesus. I think it is wise to keep the Bible in mind and anything that does not harmonize with the Bible and with Christ should be rejected. But the Bible is full of strange and (for lack of a less loaded term) mystic things - all of which are spoken of positively when used for the benefit of God's people and their relationship with Him. God is Spirit and so spiritual things have to be spiritually discerned, and I think the paranoia around "spiritual formation" has the potential to destroy true ability to be discerning as well as to destroy authentic relationship with our living God.

What it really comes down to, in my opinion and observation, is fear. Fear-based reasoning is the entire argument for those who are paranoid about spiritual formation. There is such a fear of the devil that I think some forget how great our God is. When your devil is bigger than your God, everything becomes very rigid and fearful and suspicious. But the Bible affirms that God is MUCH bigger than the devil and we can trust Him - so there is no need to be afraid.

Upvote 0

prresearcher

Aug 27, 2016
FL
✟7,611.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Stay away from non-biblical spiritual disciplines or methods of spiritual formation that are rooted in mysticism such as contemplative prayer, centering prayer, and the emerging church movement in which they are promoted

Following what Paul said to the Thessalonians, "...test them all; hold on to what is good, reject every kind of evil." (1 Thessalonians 5:21,22)

It creates great concerns to see so many people spending time with conspiracy theories and planting seeds of fear inside of the Adventist movement. For sure a legacy from the Second Great Awakening, marked by revivalism, pietism, strong sectarian or separatist tendencies [1] – and this is how Satan is destroying the Adventism, holding the movement hostage 150+ years in the past! HELLOOO, we had a prophetess in the 19th Century by the birth of the feminist movement! – what a sensitive God to the issues of a time (and how EGW suffered, not only because gave a message for her time, but for simply being a woman). This retrograde solution was the same Pharisees tried to use in their time, "if we just hold back to what we know it's right, if we keep things good as they were in the past, everything will be alright and God will not punish us anymore!" [2]

Very interesting is what Contemplative Outreach [3] (one of the proponents of Centering Prayer) has to say about Centering Prayer related to Transcendental Meditation – what is in question by Rick Howard's book,

Centering Prayer does not "empty the mind" or exclude other forms of prayer. It is not a "technique" that automatically creates "mysticism" or a means "to reach an altered state of consciousness."

It is important not to confuse Centering Prayer with certain Eastern techniques of meditation such as Transcendental Meditation. The use of the sacred word in Centering Prayer does not have the particular calming effect attributed to the TM mantra. Nor is the sacred word a vehicle leading to the spiritual level of one's being as it is in TM. There is no cause-and-effect relationship between using the sacred word and arriving at some altered state of consciousness. The sacred word is merely the symbol of the consent of one's will to God's presence and action within based on faith in the doctrine of the Divine Indwelling. The sacred word is simply a means of reaffirming our original intention at the beginning of our period of prayer to be in God's presence and to surrender to the divine action when we are attracted to some other thought, feeling or impression.

Throughout the period of Centering Prayer, our intention predominates: the movement of our will to consent to God's intention, which according to our faith, is to communicate the divine life to us. Hence, unlike TM, Centering Prayer is a personal relationship with God, not a technique.

The Divine Indwelling is simply, "the fact of the special presence of God and the special role of the three Divine Persons with or in the just." [4] In other words, the Trinity's work within us! Are we not temples of the Holy Spirit (1 Co 6:19)? Isn't that a mystery? Isn't that mystical?

Why do I have a hard time accepting theories and proposals coming from people like Rick Howard, once involved with Transcendental Eastern mystic experiences? It is explained by psychology as "pendulum effect" caused by polarization [5],

Polarization in communications and psychology, is the definition given to the behavior of a social or political group to split based on opposing views. Over time, more and more members of the original group join one or the other split group and fewer and fewer members remain neutral. This brings the two sides or "poles" further and further apart.

During polarization, there is a tendency for the opposing sides of the argument to make increasingly disagreeable statements, thereby creating more and more distance between the two sides. This is known as the "pendulum effect". Thus, it is commonly observed in polarized groups that judgments made after group discussion on a given subject tend to be more extreme than judgments made by individual group members prior to the discussion.

The same pendulum reasoning can be heard on ex-rock musicians, ex-Satan worshipers, ex-hippies, ex-Adventists, ex-girlfriends and boyfriends (lol)... and some others "exes"! How hard is for human beings being balanced?

Just a quick research on egwwritings.org to find the words, "meditation" 669x, "meditation+prayer" 229x, and "contemplation" 761x! [6] Here are some very interesting quotes from her,

The opposition grew so fierce that Paul was not allowed to continue his labors at Damascus. A messenger from heaven bade him leave for a time, and he “went into Arabia” (Galatians 1:17), where he found a safe retreat. {AA 125.2}

Here, in the solitude of the desert, Paul had ample opportunity for quiet study and meditation. He calmly reviewed his past experience and made sure work of repentance. He sought God with all his heart, resting not until he knew for a certainty that his repentance was accepted and his sin pardoned. He longed for the assurance that Jesus would be with him in his coming ministry. He emptied his soul of the prejudices and traditions that had hitherto shaped his life, and received instruction from the Source of truth. Jesus communed with him and established him in the faith, bestowing upon him a rich measure of wisdom and grace. {AA 125.3}

When the mind of man is brought into communion with the mind of God, the finite with the Infinite, the effect on body and mind and soul is beyond estimate. In such communion is found the highest education. It is God’s own method of development. “Acquaint now thyself with Him” (Job 22:21), is His message to mankind. {AA 126.1}[7]

Enoch faithfully rehearsed to the people all that God had revealed to him by the spirit of prophecy. Some believed his words, and turned from their wickedness to fear and worship God. Such often sought Enoch in his places of retirement, and he instructed them, and prayed for them that God would give them a knowledge of his will. At length he chose certain periods for retirement, and would not suffer the people to find him, for they interrupted his holy meditation and communion with God. He did not exclude himself at all times from the society of those who loved him and listened to his words of wisdom; neither did he separate himself wholly from the corrupt. He met with the good and bad at stated times, and labored to turn the ungodly from their evil course, and instruct them in the knowledge and fear of God. He taught those who had the knowledge of God to serve him more perfectly. He would remain with them as long as he could benefit them by his godly conversation and holy example, and then would withdraw himself from all society — from the just, the scoffing and idolatrous, to remain in solitude, hungering and thirsting for communion with God, and that divine knowledge which he alone could give him. {1SP 62.1}[8]

Satan leads many to believe that prayer to God is useless and but a form. He well knows how needful are meditation and prayer to keep Christ’s followers aroused to resist his cunning and deception. By his devices he would divert the mind from these important exercises (disciplines?), that the soul may not lean for help upon the Mighty One and obtain strength from Him to resist his attacks. I was pointed to the fervent, effectual prayers of God’s people anciently. “Elias was a man subject to like passions as we are, and he prayed earnestly.” Daniel prayed unto his God three times a day. Satan is enraged at the sound of fervent prayer, for he knows that he will suffer loss. Daniel was preferred above the presidents and the princes because an excellent spirit was in him. Fallen angels feared that his influence would weaken their control over the rulers of the kingdom, for Daniel was high in command. The accusing host of evil angels stirred up the presidents and princes to envy and jealousy, and they watched Daniel closely to find some occasion against him that they might report him to the king; but they failed. Then these agents of Satan sought to make his faithfulness to God the cause of his destruction. Evil angels laid out the plan for them, and these agents readily carried it into effect. {1T 295.1}[9]

Sabbath, June 6, 1863, I was shown some things in regard to the work of God and the spread of the truth. Preachers and people have too little faith, too little devotion and true godliness. The people imitate the preacher, and thus he has a very great influence upon them. Brother Hull, God wants you to come nearer to Him, where you can take hold of His strength, and by living faith claim His salvation, and be a strong man. If you were a devotional, godly man, in the pulpit and out, a mighty influence would attend your preaching. You do not closely search your own heart. (how do we closely search our hearts? self-contemplation?) You have studied many works to make your discourses thorough, able, and pleasing; but you have neglected the greatest and most necessary study, the study of yourself. A thorough knowledge of yourself, meditation and prayer, have come in as secondary things. Your success as a minister depends upon your keeping your own heart. You will receive more strength by spending one hour each day in meditation, and in mourning over your failings and heart corruptions and pleading for God’s pardoning love and the assurance of sins forgiven, than you would by spending many hours and days in studying the most able authors, and making yourself acquainted with every objection to our faith, and with the most powerful evidences in its favor. {1T 433.1}[10]

And there are many others where these came from, all of them with some level of proximity to what spiritual formation (SF) proposes. Now, to make it clear, I don't believe in all proposals of SF for the same reason I have a hard time accepting what a person like Rick Howard has to say about SF – it's an human attempt to haul their relationship with God.... and again, pendulum.

Let's try to be balanced Christians.

Get away from these conspiracy-like ideas. Go and read the Gospels!

STOP talking about Illuminati. Time to mature... "Then we will no longer be infants, tossed back and forth by the waves, and blown here and there by every wind of teaching and by the cunning and craftiness of people in their deceitful scheming." Ephesians 4:14 – today spiritual formation, tomorrow use of drums in the church, and then the size of skirts in church, and the list goes on... and people dying without getting to know Jesus!

[1] Marsden, George M. Fundamentalism and American Culture (Oxford, NY: Oxford University Press), pp.7,8
[2] http://careynieuwhof.com/2014/06/pharisee/ (10 Things Pharisees Today Say)
[3] http://www.contemplativeoutreach.or...ation-especially-eastern-meditation-practices (emphasis added)
[4] http://www.encyclopedia.com/article-1G2-3407705631/indwelling-divine.html
[5] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polarization_(psychology)
[6] WORD MEDITATION IN EGW, 669x – mostly inviting for more time of meditation and prayer; WORDS MEDITATION+PRAYER IN EGW, 299x; WORD CONTEMPLATION IN EGW, 761x – mostly contemplation is related to the great themes of salvation and nature, the second book of God. Interesting to see combinations, “reverent contemplation”, “happy contemplation”, “joy in contemplation”, “contemplation of Christ”.
[7] Acts of the Apostles (emphasis added: terms related to "Spiritual Formation").
[8] The Spirit of Prophecy, vol.1
[9] Testimonies, vol.1
[10] Idem.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

EastCoastRemnant

Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Following what Paul said to the Thessalonians, "...test them all; hold on to what is good, reject every kind of evil." (1 Thessalonians 5:21,22)

It creates great concerns to see so many people spending time with conspiracy theories and planting seeds of fear inside of the Adventist movement. For sure a legacy from the Second Great Awakening, marked by revivalism, pietism, strong sectarian or separatist tendencies [1] – and this is how Satan is destroying the Adventism, holding the movement hostage 150+ years in the past! HELLOOO, we had a prophetess in the 19th Century by the birth of the feminist movement! – what a sensitive God to the issues of a time (and how EGW suffered, not only because gave a message for her time, but for simply being a woman). This retrograde solution was the same Pharisees tried to use in their time, "if we just hold back to what we know it's right, if we keep things good as they were in the past, everything will be alright and God will not punish us anymore!" [2]

Very interesting is what Contemplative Outreach [3] (one of the proponents of Centering Prayer) has to say about Centering Prayer related to Transcendental Meditation – what is in question by Rick Howard's book,

Centering Prayer does not "empty the mind" or exclude other forms of prayer. It is not a "technique" that automatically creates "mysticism" or a means "to reach an altered state of consciousness."

It is important not to confuse Centering Prayer with certain Eastern techniques of meditation such as Transcendental Meditation. The use of the sacred word in Centering Prayer does not have the particular calming effect attributed to the TM mantra. Nor is the sacred word a vehicle leading to the spiritual level of one's being as it is in TM. There is no cause-and-effect relationship between using the sacred word and arriving at some altered state of consciousness. The sacred word is merely the symbol of the consent of one's will to God's presence and action within based on faith in the doctrine of the Divine Indwelling. The sacred word is simply a means of reaffirming our original intention at the beginning of our period of prayer to be in God's presence and to surrender to the divine action when we are attracted to some other thought, feeling or impression.

Throughout the period of Centering Prayer, our intention predominates: the movement of our will to consent to God's intention, which according to our faith, is to communicate the divine life to us. Hence, unlike TM, Centering Prayer is a personal relationship with God, not a technique.

The Divine Indwelling is simply, "the fact of the special presence of God and the special role of the three Divine Persons with or in the just." [4] In other words, the Trinity's work within us! Are we not temples of the Holy Spirit (1 Co 6:19)? Isn't that a mystery? Isn't that mystical?

Why do I have a hard time accepting theories and proposals coming from people like Rick Howard, once involved with Transcendental Eastern mystic experiences? It is explained by psychology as "pendulum effect" caused by polarization [5],

Polarization in communications and psychology, is the definition given to the behavior of a social or political group to split based on opposing views. Over time, more and more members of the original group join one or the other split group and fewer and fewer members remain neutral. This brings the two sides or "poles" further and further apart.

During polarization, there is a tendency for the opposing sides of the argument to make increasingly disagreeable statements, thereby creating more and more distance between the two sides. This is known as the "pendulum effect". Thus, it is commonly observed in polarized groups that judgments made after group discussion on a given subject tend to be more extreme than judgments made by individual group members prior to the discussion.

The same pendulum reasoning can be heard on ex-rock musicians, ex-Satan worshipers, ex-hippies, ex-Adventists, ex-girlfriends and boyfriends (lol)... and some others "exes"! How hard is for human beings being balanced?

Just a quick research on egwwritings.org to find the words, "meditation" 669x, "meditation+prayer" 229x, and "contemplation" 761x! [6] Here are some very interesting quotes from her,

The opposition grew so fierce that Paul was not allowed to continue his labors at Damascus. A messenger from heaven bade him leave for a time, and he “went into Arabia” (Galatians 1:17), where he found a safe retreat. {AA 125.2}

Here, in the solitude of the desert, Paul had ample opportunity for quiet study and meditation. He calmly reviewed his past experience and made sure work of repentance. He sought God with all his heart, resting not until he knew for a certainty that his repentance was accepted and his sin pardoned. He longed for the assurance that Jesus would be with him in his coming ministry. He emptied his soul of the prejudices and traditions that had hitherto shaped his life, and received instruction from the Source of truth. Jesus communed with him and established him in the faith, bestowing upon him a rich measure of wisdom and grace. {AA 125.3}

When the mind of man is brought into communion with the mind of God, the finite with the Infinite, the effect on body and mind and soul is beyond estimate. In such communion is found the highest education. It is God’s own method of development. “Acquaint now thyself with Him” (Job 22:21), is His message to mankind. {AA 126.1}[7]

Enoch faithfully rehearsed to the people all that God had revealed to him by the spirit of prophecy. Some believed his words, and turned from their wickedness to fear and worship God. Such often sought Enoch in his places of retirement, and he instructed them, and prayed for them that God would give them a knowledge of his will. At length he chose certain periods for retirement, and would not suffer the people to find him, for they interrupted his holy meditation and communion with God. He did not exclude himself at all times from the society of those who loved him and listened to his words of wisdom; neither did he separate himself wholly from the corrupt. He met with the good and bad at stated times, and labored to turn the ungodly from their evil course, and instruct them in the knowledge and fear of God. He taught those who had the knowledge of God to serve him more perfectly. He would remain with them as long as he could benefit them by his godly conversation and holy example, and then would withdraw himself from all society — from the just, the scoffing and idolatrous, to remain in solitude, hungering and thirsting for communion with God, and that divine knowledge which he alone could give him. {1SP 62.1}[8]

Satan leads many to believe that prayer to God is useless and but a form. He well knows how needful are meditation and prayer to keep Christ’s followers aroused to resist his cunning and deception. By his devices he would divert the mind from these important exercises (disciplines?), that the soul may not lean for help upon the Mighty One and obtain strength from Him to resist his attacks. I was pointed to the fervent, effectual prayers of God’s people anciently. “Elias was a man subject to like passions as we are, and he prayed earnestly.” Daniel prayed unto his God three times a day. Satan is enraged at the sound of fervent prayer, for he knows that he will suffer loss. Daniel was preferred above the presidents and the princes because an excellent spirit was in him. Fallen angels feared that his influence would weaken their control over the rulers of the kingdom, for Daniel was high in command. The accusing host of evil angels stirred up the presidents and princes to envy and jealousy, and they watched Daniel closely to find some occasion against him that they might report him to the king; but they failed. Then these agents of Satan sought to make his faithfulness to God the cause of his destruction. Evil angels laid out the plan for them, and these agents readily carried it into effect. {1T 295.1}[9]

Sabbath, June 6, 1863, I was shown some things in regard to the work of God and the spread of the truth. Preachers and people have too little faith, too little devotion and true godliness. The people imitate the preacher, and thus he has a very great influence upon them. Brother Hull, God wants you to come nearer to Him, where you can take hold of His strength, and by living faith claim His salvation, and be a strong man. If you were a devotional, godly man, in the pulpit and out, a mighty influence would attend your preaching. You do not closely search your own heart. (how do we closely search our hearts? self-contemplation?) You have studied many works to make your discourses thorough, able, and pleasing; but you have neglected the greatest and most necessary study, the study of yourself. A thorough knowledge of yourself, meditation and prayer, have come in as secondary things. Your success as a minister depends upon your keeping your own heart. You will receive more strength by spending one hour each day in meditation, and in mourning over your failings and heart corruptions and pleading for God’s pardoning love and the assurance of sins forgiven, than you would by spending many hours and days in studying the most able authors, and making yourself acquainted with every objection to our faith, and with the most powerful evidences in its favor. {1T 433.1}[10]

And there are many others where these came from, all of them with some level of proximity to what spiritual formation (SF) proposes. Now, to make it clear, I don't believe in all proposals of SF for the same reason I have a hard time accepting what a person like Rick Howard has to say about SF – it's an human attempt to haul their relationship with God.... and again, pendulum.

Let's try to be balanced Christians.

Get away from these conspiracy-like ideas. Go and read the Gospels!

STOP talking about Illuminati. Time to mature... "Then we will no longer be infants, tossed back and forth by the waves, and blown here and there by every wind of teaching and by the cunning and craftiness of people in their deceitful scheming." Ephesians 4:14 – today spiritual formation, tomorrow use of drums in the church, and then the size of skirts in church, and the list goes on... and people dying without getting to know Jesus!

[1] Marsden, George M. Fundamentalism and American Culture (Oxford, NY: Oxford University Press), pp.7,8
[2] http://careynieuwhof.com/2014/06/pharisee/ (10 Things Pharisees Today Say)
[3] http://www.contemplativeoutreach.or...ation-especially-eastern-meditation-practices (emphasis added)
[4] http://www.encyclopedia.com/article-1G2-3407705631/indwelling-divine.html
[5] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polarization_(psychology)
[6] WORD MEDITATION IN EGW, 669x – mostly inviting for more time of meditation and prayer; WORDS MEDITATION+PRAYER IN EGW, 299x; WORD CONTEMPLATION IN EGW, 761x – mostly contemplation is related to the great themes of salvation and nature, the second book of God. Interesting to see combinations, “reverent contemplation”, “happy contemplation”, “joy in contemplation”, “contemplation of Christ”.
[7] Acts of the Apostles (emphasis added: terms related to "Spiritual Formation").
[8] The Spirit of Prophecy, vol.1
[9] Testimonies, vol.1
[10] Idem.
If you be convinced in your own mind that these things have no spiritualism to them, then that is certainly your prerogative. Just know these had there beginning with Jesuitism...

Btw, these conspiracy theories you speak against are the things sister White warned us to be on the watch for in these last days. In case you hadn't noticed, the ecumenism of all religions is well under way lead by the Papacy. There are already plans to build a multi religious temple in Jerusalem. Also, the Papacy , along with leaders from Islam and Judaism are meeting for 11 days this Sept in Jerusalem to discuss inter-religious ideas. Expect something of prophetic significance coming from this symposium.

"sitting in the temple of God, proclaiming himself to be God"

Upvote 0

EastCoastRemnant

Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
From what I've read in the above posts, I can see I might be in the minority in this part of the forum...

but I think the accusations regarding "spiritual formation" mysticism, and different types of prayer are a load of [insert chosen veggie expletive here]. I think it's the devil making some people paranoid - getting them to focus on him instead of on Jesus. I think it is wise to keep the Bible in mind and anything that does not harmonize with the Bible and with Christ should be rejected. But the Bible is full of strange and (for lack of a less loaded term) mystic things - all of which are spoken of positively when used for the benefit of God's people and their relationship with Him. God is Spirit and so spiritual things have to be spiritually discerned, and I think the paranoia around "spiritual formation" has the potential to destroy true ability to be discerning as well as to destroy authentic relationship with our living God.

What it really comes down to, in my opinion and observation, is fear. Fear-based reasoning is the entire argument for those who are paranoid about spiritual formation. There is such a fear of the devil that I think some forget how great our God is. When your devil is bigger than your God, everything becomes very rigid and fearful and suspicious. But the Bible affirms that God is MUCH bigger than the devil and we can trust Him - so there is no need to be afraid.
You might consider that it was the founder of the Jesuits that first taught this type of prayer.... check out the following link confirming this.
http://www.ignatianspirituality.com/ignatian-prayer/the-spiritual-exercises/ignatian-contemplation-imaginative-prayer

Upvote 0

overcomer

AKA 'OntheDL'
Mar 25, 2004
✟13,696.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

reddogs

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2006
✟453,915.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

No, it is prophecy being fulfilled..."

Those Seventh-day Adventists who take their stand under Satan's banner will first give up their faith in the warnings and reproofs contained in the Testimonies of God's Spirit.--3SM 84 (1903).

The very last deception of Satan will be to make of none effect the testimony of the Spirit of God. "Where there is no vision, the people perish" (Prov. 29:18). Satan will work ingeniously, in different ways and through

different agencies, to unsettle the confidence of God's remnant people in the true testimony.--1SM 48 (1890).

The enemy has made his masterly efforts to unsettle the faith of our own people in the Testimonies . . . . This is just as Satan designed it should be, and those who have been preparing the way for the people to pay no heed to the warnings and reproofs of the Testimonies of the Spirit of God will see that a tide of errors of all kinds will spring into life.--3SM 83 (1890).

It is Satan's plan to weaken the faith of God's people in the Testimonies . Next follows scepticism in regard to the vital points of our faith, the pillars of our position, then doubt as to the Holy Scriptures, and then the downward march to perdition. When the Testimonies , which were once believed, are doubted and given up, Satan knows the deceived ones will not stop at this; and he redoubles his efforts till he launches them into open rebellion, which becomes incurable and ends in destruction.--4T 211. "

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sabbathkeeper&Wife

1Corinthians 13:2 - agape
Sep 7, 2016
Chattanooga
✟20,453.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
JojotheBeloved said-
What it really comes down to, in my opinion and observation, is fear. Fear-based reasoning is the entire argument for those who are paranoid about spiritual formation. There is such a fear of the devil that I think some forget how great our God is.

THE BIBLE SAYS- Fear GOD and give glory to him. We don't forget that GOD said that there will be wolves in sheep's clothing, not sparring the flock AND that He will send strong delusion to those who don't search and heed his Christ said many times- take heed that you be not decieved - that no man decieve you - This includes SELF. We are usually our own worst enemies. It's not paranoia if it's real. THIS is God's opinion-
2 Thessalonians 2-
Now we beseech you, brethren, by the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, and by our gathering together unto him,
2 That ye be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled, neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter as from us, as that the day of Christ is at hand.
3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;
4 Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God.
5 Remember ye not, that, when I was yet with you, I told you these things?
6 And now ye know what withholdeth that he might be revealed in his time.
7 For the mystery of iniquity doth already work: only he who now letteth will let, until he be taken out of the way.
8 And then shall that Wicked be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming:
9 Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders,
10 And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.
11 And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:
12 That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.
13 But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth:
14 Whereunto he called you by our gospel, to the obtaining of the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ.
15 Therefore, brethren, stand fast, and hold the traditions which ye have been taught, whether by word, or our epistle.
16 Now our Lord Jesus Christ himself, and God, even our Father, which hath loved us, and hath given us everlasting consolation and good hope through grace,
17 Comfort your hearts, and stablish you in every good word and work.

Christ was real big on recognizing the opposition. He said to call it out and speak against it because of so many being blind and deaf. That way, He doesn't have to say you weren't warned. It is His hope that none shall perish, but most will. Just because people don't admit there is a problem doesnt mean it's not there. I knew ,even before I was led to really study, that there was an enemy and a big problem. Until I saw it in scripture and compared it with reality, I had no idea how far it had progressed nor how serious it was. Human beings, myself included, have a bad habit of just barely doing enough to get by. Get comfortable, stop digging. To understand what's really up, you have to search hard, pray hard and prove to God that you put the WORD and the kingdom above the world. That is IMPOSSIBLE for most people. There be FEW who find it. That's the difference between milk and meat. We are so caught up in self and world that it haze's over our minds. The system is designed to seperate us from God. Every single one of us ought to be further along and closer to God than we are.

Upvote 0