Not open for further replies.

Outspoken

Standing in the Gap
Nov 8, 2002
✟22,188.00
Faith
Christian
"Does anyone know how to worship the Lord in spirit and truth?"

the passage I think you're refering to is when Christ is talking to the woman at the well? Its in John chapter 4. I think this refers to the fact that you can worship God anywhere, as referenced by the context of the conversation Jesus is having with the woman. I would say he ment worship in the spirit of truth (ie through Christ as we are christians) and the spirit (ie Holy Spirit).

Upvote 0

Andrew

Feb 25, 2002
✟13,840.00
Faith
Non-Denom
This is how I understand it:

Suppose you are walking down the beach one morning and you just feel like singing a hymn or saying some words of praise to the Lord -- and you do it out your heart. That's worshipping him in spirit and in truth. No one forced you and you didnt force yourself or work up an emotion.

This is as opposed to "religious" worship -- ie set time, set place, set style, set words, -- vry ritualistic and routine, doing it out of fear or obligation.

Whom the Son has set free is free indeed! :)

Upvote 0

shout2thelord

adopted aussie :)
Oct 11, 2002
crewe, england
Visit site
✟2,215.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Originally posted by Andrew
This is how I understand it:

Suppose you are walking down the beach one morning and you just feel like singing a hymn or saying some words of praise to the Lord -- and you do it out your heart. That's worshipping him in spirit and in truth. No one forced you and you didnt force yourself or work up an emotion.

This is as opposed to "religious" worship -- ie set time, set place, set style, set words, -- vry ritualistic and routine, doing it out of fear or obligation.

Whom the Son has set free is free indeed! :)

yes i totally agree with this but i also think that worshipping in truth means living the life, Knowing Jesus and obeying him.

Upvote 0

sola fide

neo-Puritan
Aug 2, 2002
✟660.00
Faith
Calvinist
How can you worship in the spirit?
Ephesians 5:18- "And do not be drunk with wine, in which is dissipation, but be filled with the Spirit."
Worshiping in spirit could very well mean true worship from a person who has be born again, renewed by God's Spirit. An unregenerate person would not be able to worship in the spirit, for the Spirit of God would not be within them.
How can you worship in truth?
Psalm 119:142- "...Your word is truth."
John 16:13- "He, the Sprit of truth..."
John 14:6- "I am the way, the truth, and the life."

We can worship in truth by using the guidelines set out for us in God's word, for His word is the only truth we have. If we are worshiping Him in ways that cannot be found in His word, which itself is truth, then we are not worshiping Him in truth. Man-created worship is not true worship, it is tainted by man's sinful nature. But true, biblical worship, by a regenerate person, is the purest form of worship we can give to Him.

What is true biblical worship? Seems to me most biblical worship included falling on your face, prostrate before God, glorifying Him; with no motives other than that of exalting Him. I personally like to read the Psalms, and even sing them. I wish the psalter were more common in today's churches for this reason. We know it to be truth, b/c it can be found in His innerant word.

Grace to you.

Upvote 0

SUNSTONE

Christian Warrior
Sep 2, 2002
Cocoa Village
Visit site
✟18,200.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I don't have my bible so I can't give the references right now, but I wrote some posts on this subject.

In 1 cor 12 (I think) it talked about speaking in tongues, and how there is a time and a place for it(several actually).
Speaking in tongues is your spirit talking to God.
Speaking in the truth, is you talking to God with words.

IMHO

I also sing this way too, in between words of a song, I sometimes sing in tongues. "Worship in spirit and in truth".
Some might say that the spirit side is a feeling, but if you look at the fruits of the spirit it pretty much covers every feeling.
Some people only pray when they feel like it, and there is a place for that, like when the Lord leads you, but there are so many more times to pray when you know you should, but you don't feel like it. In fact your feelings will tell you that "no, I don't want to pray at all", they may even scream this to you. I "feel" :) that this is the difference between a mature Christian and a young or immature Christian.

Legalism is when you think you have to do it, in order to keep your salvation.

Upvote 0

RevKidd

Simple Mans Theologian
Dec 18, 2002
Visit site
✟9,180.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Here are three weighty pieces of information:

(1) The point raised will very soon cease to be of any moment, for a total change of dispensation is about to come over the Church.

(2) The Samaritans are wrong, not only as to the <I>place,</I> but the whole <I>grounds</I> and <I>nature</I> of their worship, while in all these respects the truth lies with the Jews.

(3) As God is a spirit, so He both <I>invites</I> and <I>demands</I> a <I>spiritual worship,</I> and already all is in preparation for a <I>spiritual economy,</I> more in harmony with the true nature of acceptable service than the ceremonial worship by consecrated <I>persons, place,</I> and <I>times,</I> which God for a time has seen meet to keep up till fulness of the time should come.

God is a Spirit - Not only remote from the body, and all the properties of it, but likewise full of all spiritual perfections, power, wisdom, love, holiness. And our worship should be suitable to his nature. We should worship him with the truly spiritual worship of faith, love, and holiness, animating all our tempers, thoughts, words, and actions

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.