spanking at daycare

Feb 8, 2006
✟7,616.00
Faith
Christian
I feel kind of embarressed even coming to a website to ask a question about my child. The only reason that I did was to find out if other people would do the same. I know I need to find another babysitter, my daughter likes going there because of her friends, but I know in my heart that she needs to be in a different enviroment. I read one post and it said she is probably stressed out (the babysitter), or doesn't know how to handle the situation. I honestly think she has too many kids to watch out for. I will talk to another daycare provider tomorrow to make sure she has openings, and confront my babysitter nxt wk when we go again. I guess if I lose a friend over it, it is worth it to my daughtr's well being. We have already changed mine and my husbands schedule so our daugter only has to go there a total of 8 hours one week, which is mainly just for lunch, a nap and a snack. And a total of 27 hours for the other wk. Just 3 days, it is hard for me also, because I was one of those people that always said, "my child will never go to daycare", and here I am in real life, when we are cutting corners as much as we can to not make her go that often, but the fact is, we both have to wrk and my husband does shift wrk, I have no choice but daycare, the week that we are both working the same hours.

Just please know that I do have my child's best interest in mind and I am trying to raise my child in the most christian way that I personally knw, and when the babysitter tells me, it says this in the bible and if you are raising a child in a christian enviroment, blah, blah, blah, she gives religion a bad name honestly. But now I am blabbing again, just wish I would have done this all a long time ago and would nt be such a chicken. I need to stand up for myself and my little girl.

Pls pray for the wisdom, and the words to tell her that my daughter will not be attending her daycare anymore.

Upvote 0

Christdefinesme

Sep 21, 2005
Chicago, Illinois
Visit site
✟16,560.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
fortheloveofmychild said:
I feel kind of embarressed even coming to a website to ask a question about my child. The only reason that I did was to find out if other people would do the same. I know I need to find another babysitter, my daughter likes going there because of her friends, but I know in my heart that she needs to be in a different enviroment. I read one post and it said she is probably stressed out (the babysitter), or doesn't know how to handle the situation. I honestly think she has too many kids to watch out for. I will talk to another daycare provider tomorrow to make sure she has openings, and confront my babysitter nxt wk when we go again. I guess if I lose a friend over it, it is worth it to my daughtr's well being. We have already changed mine and my husbands schedule so our daugter only has to go there a total of 8 hours one week, which is mainly just for lunch, a nap and a snack. And a total of 27 hours for the other wk. Just 3 days, it is hard for me also, because I was one of those people that always said, "my child will never go to daycare", and here I am in real life, when we are cutting corners as much as we can to not make her go that often, but the fact is, we both have to wrk and my husband does shift wrk, I have no choice but daycare, the week that we are both working the same hours.

Just please know that I do have my child's best interest in mind and I am trying to raise my child in the most christian way that I personally knw, and when the babysitter tells me, it says this in the bible and if you are raising a child in a christian enviroment, blah, blah, blah, she gives religion a bad name honestly. But now I am blabbing again, just wish I would have done this all a long time ago and would nt be such a chicken. I need to stand up for myself and my little girl.

Pls pray for the wisdom, and the words to tell her that my daughter will not be attending her daycare anymore.

Don't feel embarassed. Or guilty. (HA! If only parenting was guilt free....wouldn't that be nice?)
Of course, you have your child's best interest in mind/heart:hug:. We parents know what it's like.
It is good that you came for advice, and I hope that you feel strengthened and supported. Don't feel condemned.
The Lord is with you and He will help you to have the words, wisdom, grace to solve your dilemma.
May He bless you and your family.
Hope to see you back around here soon.

Reactions: JaneFW
Upvote 0

Entertaining_Angels

Aug 12, 2004
east coast
✟23,975.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Seriously, don't be embarrassed. It is sad but unfortunately there are far too many of these stories. I've had several friends pull their children out of their daycares and my son's own experience does make me thankful we don't need to use it.

Daycare horror stories abound. Believe me, I've heard ones far worse than yours. You'll do what is best for your little one.

(((hugs))) to you.

Upvote 0

heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
"I feel kind of embarrassed even coming to a website to ask a question about my child."

Yeah, ya' really have to be willing to put yourself out there. The nice thing, is the huge variety of responses that you get...since they're so diverse, you can just use them for reasoning. If you take this to a close friend, there's an unwritten obligation to do some of what they say.

Life certainly isn't what we expected it to be! God is glorified in the small steps that we make when we're in these valleys, though. He leads us in the issues that really matter to us, not just the lofty spiritual ones. He pulls us through.

Reactions: JaneFW
Upvote 0

JaneFW

Aug 12, 2005
IRL
✟11,369.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Seriously, I don't think there is anything wrong or strange about asking other parents their opinion - I would do it and have done it about my own children. :) I agree with what you said about this lady giving Christianity a bad name. Unfortunately, there are some people, and some parents, who use the Bible's teaching about a rod literally, and think nothing of spanking their children with implements. I don't think that's what Jesus would do. Not the Jesus who said "suffer the little children to come unto me".

I do pray that you can find another daycare if you can't get a commitment from this lady not to spank your child. Remember that children do make friends fairly easily, and your daughter will soon adapt to a new daycare. If there are a few tears, just remind yourself that it is better to have tears now over friends lost, than have your daughter grow up afraid or resentful because of unnecessary spankings.

Praying for you. L :prayer:

Reactions: heron
Upvote 0

Savedthroughfaith

Feb 1, 2006
✟18,700.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Leanna said:
I guess I'll chalk this up as another disagreement with using day care at all :sorry:

Some people do not have a choice in this matter. Of course, most of us would love to be home with our children, but can't.

fortheloveofmychild,
I will be praying for you and your family.

Janine

Upvote 0

Christdefinesme

Sep 21, 2005
Chicago, Illinois
Visit site
✟16,560.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
heron said:
Just showing her that you're her ally who will come to her rescue is a big deal.

Absolutely.

She's old enough that you could even explain to her why she's going somewhere else.
Tell her you noticed she seemed afraid of discipline, and that you don't agree with "Mrs. ______" about some things, and that you didn't feel it was okay for "Mrs. _____" to give her spankings, only her mommy and daddy are allowed to give her this type of discipline, etc. It will probably help her feel more peaceful about the transition even though she'll miss her friends.

Upvote 0

heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
"Explain to her why she's going somewhere else."

Exactly. I think some would disagree, but when my kids were pulled out from the sitter who let them play in the road, I explained exactly what was going on, and that there are times they need to do what's right, if an adult tells them something wrong.

They did get it--and told me that they didn't think they were supposed to be playing in the road but she told them to. (The pool, on the other hand...they were clueless.)

It was a good lead-in for stranger danger concepts.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Leanna

Just me
Jul 20, 2004
✟24,278.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

:hug: You sound like a very caring and involved mother!

Upvote 0

onlooker

Dec 7, 2005
Michigan
✟709.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There are 2 people allowed to spank my children, my wife and my self. Period. Our parents don't even do it. We have asked them not to, and they honor our descision.
I'm sure many of you know about my feelings of day care. I'm not going to comment any further on that one.

Upvote 0