Sep 10, 2003
Florida
✟18,909.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
RhetorTheo said:
I don't think it's endorsing the condoms, it's ranking the various behaviors. Isn't an HIV-infected person have unprotected sex worse than the same person having sex with a condom?

If condom use is a mortal sin, ie your eternal body burns in Hell forever...how the heck can it be a worse sin than having unprotected HIV laced sex? I mean...our eternal health is more important than our temporal heath, isn't it?

Upvote 0

Dominus Fidelis

ScottBot is Stalking Me!
Sep 10, 2003
Florida
✟18,909.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
PeterPaul said:
Gentleman, the United conference of Bishops of Spain make the USCCB look like hardcore ultra-trads.

Do they have authority to bind and loose over their own congregations? If not, why even make this statement? If so, then can I move to Spain so I can use condoms morally? (Last bit was half-serious)

Upvote 0

PeterPaul

Feb 17, 2004
✟18,494.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Defens0rFidei said:
Do they have authority to bind and loose over their own congregations? If not, why even make this statement? If so, then can I move to Spain so I can use condoms morally? (Last bit was half-serious)

No, they have no right to attempt to weaken the stance of Humanae Vitae. The problem is, you have too many Jesuits in Spain (Sorry St. Ignatius, I know you founded them), and frankly, I say if SSPX can't be a part of the Church for going against the Novus Ordo, the majority of Jesuits should be kicked out for not even believing in the resurrection!

Spain is very liberal. Quite frankly I lost faith in the Conference ever since the Dictatorship days.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dream

Aug 7, 2003
✟6,389.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Defens0rFidei said:
If so, then can I move to Spain so I can use condoms morally? (Last bit was half-serious)

No. Catholic means universal. The laws of the Catholic Church are universal as well. A sin is a sin, whether in Rome, the US, Spain, Antarctica, or on Mars.

I couldnt tell you why these Bishops said this...

Upvote 0

PeterPaul

Feb 17, 2004
✟18,494.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Defens0rFidei said:
So you are telling me that the local Bishops have no power to bind and loose, correct?

Why did Jesus give this power to all of the Apostles? Why does only "Peter" have it now?

I'm telling you the power to bind and loose does not mean a house divided. A bishop can not for example bind and loose that all men be saved. Nor can a Bishop bind and loose that Hindus are just as applicable for salvation as a Catholic.

Are you telling me a Bishop has a right to change that which the Magisterium has deemed true?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dominus Fidelis

ScottBot is Stalking Me!
Sep 10, 2003
Florida
✟18,909.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
"Are you telling me a Bishop has a right to change that which the Magisterium has deemed true?"

No, I'm asking questions.

How many Bishops make up a Magisterium anyway? (and for that matter, how many of the Magisterium actually agreed with the non-contraceptive stance?)

Upvote 0

geocajun

Priest of the holy smackrament
Dec 25, 2002
✟35,477.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
DF, The Pope doesn't have the authority to make contraceptives moral any more than he has to ordain women.
Contraceptives being immoral are part of the constant teaching of the Church, and therefore it cannot be changed.

I realize that there is a faction of people in the church who want so badly to see the teaching changed, that they are looking for any chink in the churchs armor to exploit. For those people, things like this seem mighty tastey I am sure, however rest assured, the teaching of the Church will not change.

Upvote 0

geocajun

Priest of the holy smackrament
Dec 25, 2002
✟35,477.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Defens0rFidei said:
How many Bishops make up a Magisterium anyway?

DF, sorry in advance if this offends you, but aren't you a catechist? a teacher of the faith?
the Magisterium is composed of the Pope, and all the Bishops in communion with him.
The Catholic Church is, contrary to the wishes of some Bishops conferences, a Monarchy.

Upvote 0

PeterPaul

Feb 17, 2004
✟18,494.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The Pope deemed it, even after councils, that Humanae Vitae was correct, even though many clergy wanted him to issue a statement in favour of contraception. Thus, the Pope, in Persona Petro, issued the encyclical.

The Pope has the power of infallibility, even in times he does not declare what he has stated ex-cathedra, as he may imply or claim it as infallible. The Magisterium, as teaching authority will review a specific issue at a specific time, and it is not left to the individual Bishop to declare or contradict, nor a Commitee or Conference of Bishops, when they contradict doctrine or dogma.

For more info on the Magisterium

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/15006b.htm

Upvote 0

Dominus Fidelis

ScottBot is Stalking Me!
Sep 10, 2003
Florida
✟18,909.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
"DF, sorry in advance if this offends you, but aren't you a catechist? a teacher of the faith?"

Yep, but I don't know it all. I was under the impression that nobody can know everything about Catholicism.

"the Magisterium is composed of the Pope, and all the Bishops in communion with him."

Yes, all the Bishops in communion with him...do the Spanish Bishops not count?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.