Pennsylvania
✟792,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Well that idea doesn't seem to be of any practical value(?)
Are you saying all our experiences are just a delusion?
Nope. Why even go there? We know a little. It's not delusion. It's just not complete. But yeah, our assumptions and the conclusions we draw can be delusional.

Upvote 0

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟177,244.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
.. It's just not complete.
Are you also experiencing the missing parts, (ie: the ones that make it incomplete), or are they part of something else which you don't experience? If the latter, then how do you know they're beyond your experience/perception?

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟792,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Are you also experiencing the missing parts, (ie: the ones that make it incomplete), or are they part of something else which you don't experience? If the latter, then how do you know they're beyond your experience/perception?
How do I know that I don't know everything by experience???? Are you even serious???

I guess I could be scientific about it, since you seem to admire that. I keep learning (and even experiencing) new things. Therefore, since that has been my universal experience in the past, I can extrapolate and make a pretty darn good guess that I haven't gotten it all yet.

Upvote 0

BeyondET

Earth Treasures
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2018
Virginia
✟153,535.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Optical illusions are still perceived experiences.
That was my point the experience isn't the reality of being a flat street. Looking at the painting from one direction you can see the pavement is flat, the other direction not so much.

Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,861.00
Faith
Atheist
See? Told you you wouldn't accept it.
I'm asking you to explain so that I understand what you mean - then I can decide whether I accept it.

How does it matter what the experience of a thing is, as to the reality or the substance of what the thing is?
It matters because we define things according to our experience of them. For example, how we experience the world is very much scale-dependent - we experience the arrow of time and causality, just as we experience temperature, pressure, and the wetness of water, as emergent properties at macro scales, but they don't exist/have meaning at micro scales.

In the Einsteinian block universe, time itself is, as Einstein said, an illusion. But if each moment along the time axis is equally real, why do you experience the passage of time? I find it helps to use a simple analogy - a flipbook, where each moment is represented by a 2D image on a page. When you flip through the flipbook, the images appear to move.

In the block universe, the images are 3D 'snapshots' of the world and the trace your existence makes through these snapshots is your 'worldline'. But there's a significant difference between the flipbook analogy and the block universe - the flipbook consists of 2D slices ordered in space (the thickness of the flipbook), so someone has to flip through it to make it active, and then we only see a single start-to-end sequence of action, where each page appears once. But the 3D snapshots of the block universe are ordered in time itself, so it is, in a sense, 'self-flipping'. So every moment along your worldline is a now for the you at that point in time, and who you were and what you did ten years ago is just as real as who you'll be and what you'll do ten years from now (if your worldine extends that far!).

The "follow" no more proves time passage than our experience does.
I'm not saying it proves anything - it's an expression of our perception of the temporal sequence of events. As Einstein suggested, it may well be that, "The distinction between the past, present and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion".

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟792,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
It matters because we define things according to our experience of them. For example, how we experience the world is very much scale-dependent - we experience the arrow of time and causality, just as we experience temperature, pressure, and the wetness of water, as emergent properties at macro scales, but they don't exist/have meaning at micro scales.
But reality does. Yet, it seems science of late is more concentrated on describing the experience of them. Not that it can do otherwise, come to think of it.
In the Einsteinian block universe, time itself is, as Einstein said, an illusion. But if each moment along the time axis is equally real, why do you experience the passage of time? I find it helps to use a simple analogy - a flipbook, where each moment is represented by a 2D image on a page. When you flip through the flipbook, the images appear to move.
It's a rude analogy, but yeah, I get it. As I once said to an uncle of mine, who was involved in AI development, and he agreed, human thinking is part analogue, part digital. We have neither of the ability that God does: to see the completed product, nor to see any of it simultaneous with the rest of it.
In the block universe, the images are 3D 'snapshots' of the world and the trace your existence makes through these snapshots is your 'worldline'. But there's a significant difference between the flipbook analogy and the block universe - the flipbook consists of 2D slices ordered in space (the thickness of the flipbook), so someone has to flip through it to make it active, and then we only see a single start-to-end sequence of action, where each page appears once. But the 3D snapshots of the block universe are ordered in time itself, so it is, in a sense, 'self-flipping'. So every moment along your worldline is a now for the you at that point in time, and who you were and what you did ten years ago is just as real as who you'll be and what you'll do ten years from now (if your worldine extends that far!).
That's more than my limited understanding can know, right now. But seems worth thinking about. Thank you. I'm wondering if what I was tempted to say just above this last, is denied in this last: That I am at least glad you seem to agree with me that causation is not necessarily time dependent.
I'm not saying it proves anything - it's an expression of our perception of the temporal sequence of events. As Einstein suggested, it may well be that, "The distinction between the past, present and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion".
Agreed. (Not sure I agree about the implications different people will draw from it.)

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟792,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
I'm asking you to explain so that I understand what you mean - then I can decide whether I accept it.
Mark Quayle said:
The quickest one that comes to mind, you wouldn't accept, but to me it is kind of funny: That we can pray for a certain outcome that we know has already happened, but we don't know what the outcome was yet!

FrumiousBandersnatch said:
In what sense is that causal?

In that "The effectual fervent prayer of the righteous man availeth much." I don't expect you can accept that.

And the argument against that, that I hear, is that if our prayers can effect something —i.e. if God answers as a result— he is not first cause according to my definition: that "he is not changed by outside principle". I expect you would agree with that dismissal. But I say, he is the one who ordained that prayer. Our perceived "spontaneity" is no more spontaneous than our perceived time passage is brute fact. First Cause 'invented' (caused, whether immediate or through means) it all.

Upvote 0

sjastro

May 14, 2014
✟277,885.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
But reality does. Yet, it seems science of late is more concentrated on describing the experience of them. Not that it can do otherwise, come to think of it.

It's a rude analogy, but yeah, I get it. As I once said to an uncle of mine, who was involved in AI development, and he agreed, human thinking is part analogue, part digital. We have neither of the ability that God does: to see the completed product, nor to see any of it simultaneous with the rest of it.

That's more than my limited understanding can know, right now. But seems worth thinking about. Thank you. I'm wondering if what I was tempted to say just above this last, is denied in this last: That I am at least glad you seem to agree with me that causation is not necessarily time dependent.

Agreed. (Not sure I agree about the implications different people will draw from it.)
The principle of least action mentioned earlier in this thread does bring up philosophical questions about reality.

Reactions: SelfSim
Upvote 0

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟177,244.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
The principle of least action mentioned earlier in this thread does bring up philosophical questions about reality.

Another good video .. (thanks).

I've got an update for her. She should try on that everything she, (or anyone else), expresses using language, is also a model .. (ie: not limited to Physics).
There are only two kinds of models .. objectively testable and objectively untestable.
That's it .. that's about all the philosophy we need for science to exist (alongside with beliefs).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟792,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed

Just a quick note: I saw a similar video by someone using that same thing of a beam of light shining on whatever particular spot we are noticing (the fish) but I don't think it was her. But anyway, the person on the other video made more of the notion of the light choosing, and how did the light know the quickest path, etc etc.. Maybe this is what SelfSim is getting at below, I don't know, but to me the question seems ridiculous. We are the one choosing the object. The light just shines and is refracted at the surface of the medium change. It doesn't know and doesn't care. Ok, I'll continue watching...
Another good video .. (thanks).

I've got an update for her. She should try on that everything she, (or anyone else), expresses using language, is also a model .. (ie: not limited to Physics).
There are only two kinds of models .. objectively testable and objectively untestable.
That's it .. that's all about all the philosophy we need for science to exist (alongside with beliefs).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟177,244.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
.. Maybe this is what SelfSim is getting at below, I don't know,
Nope. I was only speaking to her broader philosophical enquiries by extending her concept of 'model' to include all descriptions as being models .. (not just the Physics description/model).

Upvote 0

sjastro

May 14, 2014
✟277,885.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Just a quick note: I saw a similar video by someone using that same thing of a beam of light shining on whatever particular spot we are noticing (the fish) but I don't think it was her. But anyway, the person on the other video made more of the notion of the light choosing, and how did the light know the quickest path, etc etc.. Maybe this is what SelfSim is getting at below, I don't know, but to me the question seems ridiculous. We are the one choosing the object. The light just shines and is refracted at the surface of the medium change. It doesn't know and doesn't care. Ok, I'll continue watching...
A variation to Fermat's principle mentioned in the video is Snell's law.

Snell.png

You may control the angle of incidence of the flashlight θ₁ but θ₂ depends on the light travelling in least amount of time according to Fermat's principle.
You can't change θ₁ so light does not travel in the least amount of time, which raised the philosophical question in the video if light "knows" which path to take in the water so travel time in minimized.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟792,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
A variation to Fermat's principle mentioned in the video is Snell's law.

You may control the angle of incidence of the flashlight θ₁ but θ₂ depends on the light travelling in least amount of time according to Fermat's principle.
You can't change θ₁ so light does not travel in the least amount of time, which raised the philosophical question in the video if light "knows" which path to take in the water so travel time in minimized.
I don't get it. The light can't do anything but what it does. Attributing "knowledge" to the coincident fact that it is faster to go with the refraction typical of the difference of the two mediums is to ignore the fact that it is the only thing it CAN do. If you want your light beam to shine on the fish, you have to point it at that certain spot on the surface. If you shine it anywhere else, it won't light the fish up. It can't.

Maybe I'm just thick-headed. I've been called worse.

Upvote 0

sjastro

May 14, 2014
✟277,885.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't get it. The light can't do anything but what it does. Attributing "knowledge" to the coincident fact that it is faster to go with the refraction typical of the difference of the two mediums is to ignore the fact that it is the only thing it CAN do. If you want your light beam to shine on the fish, you have to point it at that certain spot on the surface. If you shine it anywhere else, it won't light the fish up. It can't.

Maybe I'm just thick-headed. I've been called worse.
Forget about the fish.
In the video the driver's journey takes it over concrete and wet muddy surfaces in order to reach the destination.
Only one pathway can be taken in order to minimize the journey time.
The driver has control of the pathway taken for the least travel time.

This is not the case with a light beam.
You can change the angle of the incident light beam reaching the water but the light beam will always travel in the least possible time as the refraction angle also changes.
You don't control the refraction angle, it is determined by the light beam according to Fermat's principle.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟792,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Forget about the fish.
In the video the driver's journey takes it over concrete and wet muddy surfaces in order to reach the destination.
Only one pathway can be taken in order to minimize the journey time.
The driver has control of the pathway taken for the least travel time.

This is not the case with a light beam.
You can change the angle of the incident light beam reaching the water but the light beam will always travel in the least possible time as the refraction angle also changes.
You don't control the refraction angle, it is determined by the light beam according to Fermat's principle.
My point wasn't the fish. The fact that (serendipitous though it be) the angle of refraction always is also the fastest, is no more invoking of inanimate knowledge or decision than the fact that it can't do otherwise.

Why should the beam do anything else than that? To my mind it is like asking why Velocity/Time = Acceleration.

The light beam did not choose to do anything.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

sjastro

May 14, 2014
✟277,885.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My point wasn't the fish. The fact that (serendipitous though it be) the angle of refraction always is also the fastest, is no more invoking of inanimate knowledge or decision than the fact that it can't do otherwise.

Why should the beam do anything else than that? To my mind it is like asking why Velocity/Time = Acceleration.

You are right light doesn’t “know” which path to take but your reasoning doesn’t explain why this is the case.
This where the power of simple mathematics using Pythagoras theorem, trigonometry and calculus to derive Snell’s law from Fermat’s principle explains why light travels in the least amount of time without having prior knowledge.

Reactions: SelfSim
Upvote 0

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟177,244.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private

Hmm .. just trying to synch up with where you're coming from on this:

- So if you see no need for the light to be 'choosing' alternatives to the path it was always going to take, then we can say that the path it always takes, will be part of our model of 'what light is', yes?
- If you can see that, then the same reasoning follows for what 'nature' is too. In this case, we can say that the principle of Least Action is therefore part of our model of 'what nature is'.
- Going one step further and using the same reasoning, we can also ask what parts can we assign to the model of 'what reality is', and in so doing, we can observe that it is us making all those assignments .. and nothing else. This is extremely surprising for most people, who spend their entire lives thnking 'what reality is' has absolutely nothing to do with us and our assignment decisions.

The thing is, of the two known ways of making those assignment decisions, (ie: the science way or the belief way), only science provides the consistent, objective and independently verifable descriptive explanations for eg: what the refractive parts of the model of light really are (as @sjastro is indicating in his post#216 above).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟792,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Hmm .. just trying to synch up with where you're coming from on this:

- So if you see no need for the light to be 'choosing' alternatives to the path it was always going to take, then we can say that the path it always takes, will be part of our model of 'what light is', yes?
I would have said, 'what light does', not 'is'. But yes, it obviously has implications into the nature of the thing.
- If you can see that, then the same reasoning follows for what 'nature' is too. In this case, we can say that the principle of Least Action is therefore part of our model of 'what nature is'.
Also, 'does', with implications into what it 'is'.
- Going one step further and using the same reasoning, we can also ask what parts can we assign to the model of 'what reality is', and in so doing, we can observe that it is us making all those assignments .. and nothing else. This is extremely surprising for most people, who spend their entire lives thnking 'what reality is' has absolutely nothing to do with us and our assignment decisions.
I'm beginning to think you are making much of something that is obvious. I'm not sure I'm following what you are saying, though, so....

Is this anything like what I wish Christians understood about God? —that what we refer to as his "attributes", while true, are nonetheless OUR ways of looking at him. In the philosophically-sound attribute of the Simplicity of God, it turns out, all the attributes are one in him: He is without parts. But we don't know how to talk about his character or his nature without using these "attributes".
The thing is, of the two known ways of making those assignment decisions, (ie: the science way or the belief way), only science provides the consistent, objective and independently verifable descriptive explanations for eg: what the refractive parts of the model of light really are (as @sjastro is indicating in his post#216 above).
Maybe you are saying "parts of the MODEL of light are" where I would say "we describe like this, what we observe light to do"

Upvote 0

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟177,244.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
I would have said, 'what light does', not 'is'. But yes, it obviously has implications into the nature of the thing.
We only know 'what light is' from what we see.
Otherwise, we wouldn't have even a clue about 'what light is'.
Also, 'does', with implications into what it 'is'.

I'm beginning to think you are making much of something that is obvious. I'm not sure I'm following what you are saying, though, so....

Is this anything like what I wish Christians understood about God? —that what we refer to as his "attributes", while true, are nonetheless OUR ways of looking at him. In the philosophically-sound attribute of the Simplicity of God, it turns out, all the attributes are one in him: He is without parts. But we don't know how to talk about his character or his nature without using these "attributes".
Yes so you're saying 'God' is a model also (with attributes).
Maybe you are saying "parts of the MODEL of light are" where I would say "we describe like this, what we observe light to do"
In science, the 'thing' which you hold as being separate from your observations, which you're calling 'light', never gets tested. We only ever test, record and incorporate our observations into our model of light. That then becomes what you mean whenever you use the word: 'light'.
Obviously a model can't make decisions about path alternatives, like we can, therefore path decisions aren't part of our model of light.
Its still our model of what light is though .. and not something we need to hold as being separate from our observations.

Its the same end result as what you came to, except for the bit where you add/infer that light is a separate 'something' from your observations, which you can't demonstrate because its a belief.

These distinctions are important and provide insight into what you say you don't get about the presenter's confusion in the video. She's assuming other folk hold that light is 'a something' which exists separately from our observation that it always takes the shortest time path, (which incidentally is what just about everyone thinks too, except not everyone thinks Physics is a model, like she now does).
She's only gone half way into the model thing ... she should try on going further in realising everything we describe using language is a model. There are two types: untestable belief type models (like 'God'), and testable ones like science's (like 'light').

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟792,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
We only know 'what light is' from what we see.
Otherwise, we wouldn't have even a clue about 'what light is'.
Of course. So what? Does that mean that light doesn't exist until we say so?
Yes so you're saying 'God' is a model also (with attributes).
No, I'm asking if that is the sort of thing you are talking about.
In science, the 'thing' which you hold as being separate from your observations, which you're calling 'light', never gets tested. We only ever test, record and incorporate our observations into our model of light. That then becomes what you mean whenever you use the word: 'light'.
No. That then becomes for some of us what we think we mean. We, some of us, at least, mean to refer to the fact behind what we see. When I talk about God, I do not refer to what I know about him. I refer to the real being that he is. But yeah, it's difficult to do well, because we can only conceive humanly. However, we can conceive of the fact that we don't know the whole thing.
Obviously a model can't make decisions about path alternatives, like we can, therefore path decisions aren't part of our model of light.
Its still our model of what light is though .. and not something we need to hold as being separate from our observations.

Its the same end result as what you came to, except for the bit where you add/infer that light is a separate 'something' from your observations, which you can't demonstrate because its a belief.
Nor can you demonstrate that light is only a model. Are you the one who told me once that if we can't demonstrate it, it isn't rational?
These distinctions are important and provide insight into what you say you don't get about the presenter's confusion in the video. She's assuming other folk hold that light is 'a something' which exists separately from our observation that it always takes the shortest time path, (which incidentally is what just about everyone thinks too, except not everyone thinks Physics is a model, like she now does).

She's only gone half way into the model thing ... she should try on going further in realising everything we describe using language is a model. There are two types: untestable belief type models (like 'God'), and testable ones like science's (like 'light').
There is a world of difference between "everything we describe using language", and "everything as it is, quite apart from our descriptions". I won't even say, "everything as it ontologically is" because that invokes the necessary use of concept.

Upvote 0