Dec 24, 2005
✟440,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Coming home from Mass this evening, reflecting on recent and not so recent losses ...
I thought I might post and ask if anyone here has any prayer recommendations (devotions, etc.) ...
for when one is dealing with sorrow?

I've incurred some pretty significant personal losses, these past two decades.
Of course, this is not so uncommon, as one ages. The longer we live, the more losses in life we will experience.
... just kind of goes with 'the territory'.

And I am naturally saddened by the recent loss of my husband .... the loss of the life we shared, etc.
It is a big loss, on top of the others.

I tell myself we are not to be attached to this world ... we are to be 'detached' in some kind of healthy spiritual way ...
but I'm just struggling abit on how this is done?

Any suggestions or recommendations?
I know that God is the Answer to all that troubles us in this lifetime ...
:plus:

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,680,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Coming home from Mass this evening, reflecting on recent and not so recent losses ...
I thought I might post and ask if anyone here has any prayer recommendations (devotions, etc.) ...
for when one is dealing with sorrow?

I've incurred some pretty significant personal losses, these past two decades.
Of course, this is not so uncommon, as one ages. The longer we live, the more losses in life we will experience.
... just kind of goes with 'the territory'.

And I am naturally saddened by the recent loss of my husband .... the loss of the life we shared, etc.
It is a big loss, on top of the others.

I tell myself we are not to be attached to this world ... we are to be 'detached' in some kind of healthy spiritual way ...
but I'm just struggling abit on how this is done?

Any suggestions or recommendations?
I know that God is the Answer to all that troubles us in this lifetime ...
:plus:
I hope this helps.

Reactions: joymercy
Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,760.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This has become my recent (last few years) project. I believe it is the key to freedom, happiness and peace.

John 14:27
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

So how do we disengage our emotions from our thoughts and from the events in our lives we cannot change?
it takes vigilance. When we see our emotions ruling us we have to take action.

This is that hardest work of spiritual growth. It tales a lifetime.

Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟440,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This is a sad time, grieve for your husbands loss. And pray his protection as you do. You have a year use it wisely.

Good advice ... especially the part about using time wisely.
Thank you.

Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟440,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟440,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This has become my recent (last few years) project. I believe it is the key to freedom, happiness and peace.

John 14:27
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

So how do we disengage our emotions from our thoughts and from the events in our lives we cannot change?
it takes vigilance. When we see our emotions ruling us we have to take action.

This is that hardest work of spiritual growth. It tales a lifetime.

You've given me lots to think about. I've been pondering it, most of the evening.

I especially like this part:

A key attainment across religions and philosophies is peace of heart that is not diminished by what happens in life. ...

It requires surrender and acceptance. I think this must be a life long process because at 68 I am just beginning to make some progress. It requires detachment, forbearance, patience, letting go.

(Note: I am 68 also, but seems you are ahead of me in this 'lesson'!)

I want that kind of stability of heart that you speak of. A faith that is unshakeable, no matter what the circumstances.
While I know the importance of grieving in its appropriate time ... and the need not to try to run from it ...
I also recognize the importance of what you speak of, and I desire those things also.

I will continue to think on what you've shared ... I sense there's is something in it that God wants to reveal to me.
Thank you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,760.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I will continue to think on what you've shared ... I sense there's is something in it that God wants to reveal to me.
Thank you.
It is difficult but I think extremely important.

• Useful
Reactions: mourningdove~
Upvote 0

joymercy

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2017
study
✟251,652.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
A prayer recommendation for dealing with Sorrows is the Rosary of the Sorrowful Mother.

As we focus our minds on her sorrows, it helps us to orient our hearts to joining with her in her sufferings, and therefore to joining with her Son's.

She leads us to Him, while being a Mother to us.

Its a soothing and quieting rosary when done in a contemplative way, taking ones time to just be alone with her, in reflection.

This takes time, and practice and can bring about the love of Him so deep, there is nothing else that can fulfill you.

A disordered heart is thereby gradually brought to be ordered around Him, taking the highest and most meaningful place of your existence.

Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟440,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
A prayer recommendation for dealing with Sorrows is the Rosary of the Sorrowful Mother.

As we focus our minds on her sorrows, it helps us to orient our hearts to joining with her in her sufferings, and therefore to joining with her Son's.

She leads us to Him, while being a Mother to us.

Its a soothing and quieting rosary when done in a contemplative way, taking ones time to just be alone with her, in reflection.

This takes time, and practice and can bring about the love of Him so deep, there is nothing else that can fulfill you.

A disordered heart is thereby gradually brought to be ordered around Him, taking the highest and most meaningful place of your existence.
Thank you very much for sharing this with me.
:rose:

Upvote 0

joymercy

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2017
study
✟251,652.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Thank you very much for sharing this with me.
:rose:

A priest once advised me to close my eyes and envision the Cross, and to hold that vision no matter what is happening around me.

To be strong in the faith as you seek, means doing sacrifices and penance for others, while keeping the image of the cross in your minds eye.

No matter what she went through, St Joan of Arc never denied the faith. Can you just imagine what she was seeing while going to the stake?

Do you think she was praying for her executioners as Christ did on the cross?

Reading up on the lives of the Saints, can embolden you to have the unshakable faith that you seek.

Reactions: mourningdove~
Upvote 0