Feb 6, 2002
✟56,948.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
In a few of the threads in this forum many have referred to the Song of Solomon as an example of how God "woos" a sinner unto salvation. Yet can we look at the main points of the book:

1) It is obviously a story of love.

2) The book is referred to as a allegory to the relationship between (depending on your stance) God and Israel, or for our sakes God and the Church.

This is the point I would like to elaborate on, that being that it is an allegory of the love between God and the Church. Many have claimed that election or predestination is wrong as defined by the reformed view and they refer to this book as an example of the bridegroom "wooing" the bride, not choosing her. Yet they do not reconginze these things:

- The bridegroom (many believe was Solomon) was the one who went out from the palace unto the place where He would eventually find the Shulammite girl. He, the disguised Prince, chose the Shulamite girl. He fell in love with her when he saw her. It was only after his "approach" to her that the Shulammite girl responded to his delight in her. From then the love grew, the disguised Prince had to leave, but returned for the Shulammite girl as the King.

- According to Reformed theology it is God, not man, that begins the relationship. Man in his fallen nature does not seek after God (Romans 3:11). It is only by God giving us Grace that we turn to Him (Ephesians 2:8). From then on the love develops through His Grace and the mutual love shared between God and his child. Jesus left His Bride, but He will return as the Bridegroom ready to receive her, the Church. And according to Reformed theology, the Church consists of those who are the elect, those who were predestined by God to be conformed to the image of His Son.

So Song of Solomon can agree with the Reformed view in that it was Jesus, the Prince, who left His palace and we, the Shulammite girl, found favor in His eyes. Why? Because it was His will, His desire, His choice. It was only after He showed favor to us that we began to love Him. Christ has left for a little while but will one day return as the King to receive His Bride, the Church.

Just something to think about :)

God Bless

SpiritPsalmist

Heavy lean toward Messianic
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Originally posted by Jesaiah
In a few of the threads in this forum many have referred to the Song of Solomon as an example of how God "woos" a sinner unto salvation. Yet can we look at the main points of the book:

1) It is obviously a story of love.

2) The book is referred to as a allegory to the relationship between (depending on your stance) God and Israel, or for our sakes God and the Church.

This is the point I would like to elaborate on, that being that it is an allegory of the love between God and the Church. Many have claimed that election or predestination is wrong as defined by the reformed view and they refer to this book as an example of the bridegroom "wooing" the bride, not choosing her. Yet they do not reconginze these things:

- The bridegroom (many believe was Solomon) was the one who went out from the palace unto the place where He would eventually find the Shulammite girl. He, the disguised Prince, chose the Shulamite girl. He fell in love with her when he saw her. It was only after his "approach" to her that the Shulammite girl responded to his delight in her. From then the love grew, the disguised Prince had to leave, but returned for the Shulammite girl as the King.

- According to Reformed theology it is God, not man, that begins the relationship. Man in his fallen nature does not seek after God (Romans 3:11). It is only by God giving us Grace that we turn to Him (Ephesians 2:8). From then on the love develops through His Grace and the mutual love shared between God and his child. Jesus left His Bride, but He will return as the Bridegroom ready to receive her, the Church. And according to Reformed theology, the Church consists of those who are the elect, those who were predestined by God to be conformed to the image of His Son.

So Song of Solomon can agree with the Reformed view in that it was Jesus, the Prince, who left His palace and we, the Shulammite girl, found favor in His eyes. Why? Because it was His will, His desire, His choice. It was only after He showed favor to us that we began to love Him. Christ has left for a little while but will one day return as the King to receive His Bride, the Church.

Just something to think about :)

God Bless

Good points made. And while I am not of the Reformed theology, I do agree that God initiates the relationship. However, we are not forced to return the affection.

Chapter 1, verse 4 she says, "Draw me away! We will run after you." In verse 15 he starts telling her how beautiful she is and in verse 16 is her response. He does not just throw her over his horse and ride away with her.

In Chapter 2 he starts making requests of her. The bottom line being, "Come Away. Rise up my love, my fair one. And come away".

So far we see that she has requested that he draw her and he does it.

2:14 "O my dove, in the clefts of the rock, In the secret places of the cliff, Let me see your face, Let me hear your voice; For your voice is sweet, And your face is lovely." That's the voice of the bridegroom.

He's drawing her. And she responds.

We know that no man comes to the Father except the Spirit draws. So God the Spirit draws (woo's, stirs, etc). From there we can either resond and run after Him or choose to ignore the drawing.

I believe everybody can be drawn but some will reject Him.

Upvote 0

Ioustinos

Veteran
Feb 6, 2002
✟56,948.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Originally posted by Quaffer
Good points made. And while I am not of the Reformed theology, I do agree that God initiates the relationship. However, we are not forced to return the affection.

Chapter 1, verse 4 she says, "Draw me away! We will run after you." In verse 15 he starts telling her how beautiful she is and in verse 16 is her response. He does not just throw her over his horse and ride away with her.

In Chapter 2 he starts making requests of her. The bottom line being, "Come Away. Rise up my love, my fair one. And come away".

So far we see that she has requested that he draw her and he does it.

2:14 "O my dove, in the clefts of the rock, In the secret places of the cliff, Let me see your face, Let me hear your voice; For your voice is sweet, And your face is lovely." That's the voice of the bridegroom.

He's drawing her. And she responds.

We know that no man comes to the Father except the Spirit draws. So God the Spirit draws (woo's, stirs, etc). From there we can either resond and run after Him or choose to ignore the drawing.

I believe everybody can be drawn but some will reject Him.

Hi Quaffer :wave:

I don't believe that God clubs us over the Head and throws us on His horse to take us back to the palace either :p

But I do believe that when God reveals His grace to His people it causes them to desire God. He doesn't force them to follow Him but rather it is a natural reaction to the impartation of the Grace of God for He shows us His goodness and love and we don't resist it because it is so wonderful and awesome. When we receive this Grace we don't want to resist it :)

This is what I believe so far in my studies of Reformed theology. Others who have studied more on Reformed theology may correct my statements or elaborate upon them.

God Bless

Jesaiah

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Originally posted by Kirisutokyoo-shinja
I enjoyed reading this thread, makes me want to read that book.

I would also recommend a little study book by J Vernon McGee that goes along splendidly with the SOS. I don't remember the exact title but you can find it, I'm sure, in your local Bible Book Store. Just ask for the study/commentaries books by J Vernon McGee. Of course he looks at it from the view of Jesus as the Bridegroom and the church as His bride. If you want other views I'm sure the bookstore can provide them as well.

That's one of the things I love so much about the Word of God. There is so much to glean from it. Sorta like an iceburg, the more the tip is exposed to the sun the more of the iceburg is revealed.

Upvote 0

Ioustinos

Veteran
Feb 6, 2002
✟56,948.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Originally posted by seebs
I've always wondered where the allegorical interpretation came from; I always assumed it was literal, included because it might help people adopt healthy attitudes towards their partners.

Hi Seebs :wave:

Many believe it can and should be used as both :)

God Bless

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

EJO

Hellafreak
Sep 4, 2002
Seattle
✟8,395.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Great post, and great study material.
I being in the marriage ministry for several years have heard and read studies on SOS.
The best was from Tommy Nelson, He has a whole ministry for marrieds, and singles on the SOS.
It was a book of the Bible that was not allowed to be read be young Jewish boys until they where like 18 or something. Because of the sexual, intimate content of the book.
I have not seen the depth of the allagory that you have pointed out. But it makes complete sence and the context of the WHOLE Bible. The Old Testement always refers to the coming Messiah, Jesus.

Very sweet and beautiful- Thanks
EJO

Upvote 0

ZiSunka

It means 'yellow dog'
Jan 16, 2002
✟38,767.00
Faith
Christian
Great post!

Just one addition. The Shulamite woman responded to overatures of the prince. In the same way, we must respond to the overatures of God. He loved her first, then she responded to his love. Just like that, God loves us first, and we respond to His love, or we choose not to accept His love, for various reasons.

It is God who approaches us with His love, but it is up to us to love Him back.

Upvote 0

A Sheep

Stop the suffering in Iraq
Mar 10, 2002
✟6,046.00
Originally posted by lambslove
Great post!

Just one addition. The Shulamite woman responded to overatures of the prince. In the same way, we must respond to the overatures of God. He loved her first, then she responded to his love. Just like that, God loves us first, and we respond to His love, or we choose not to accept His love, for various reasons.

It is God who approaches us with His love, but it is up to us to love Him back.
Amen. Glad to hear that some other Christians see Song of Solomon as much, much more than the widely-espoused literal interpretation of SOS being simply about a husband and wife. :) It's about eternal-matters, as is the rest of God's Word. :)

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Originally posted by A Sheep
Amen. Glad to hear that some other Christians see Song of Solomon as much, much more than the widely-espoused literal interpretation of SOS being simply about a husband and wife. :) It's about eternal-matters, as is the rest of God's Word. :)

I can't keep from tearing up and nearly weeping every time I read chapter 2:8-16 because . . .

a few years ago while I was having my devotional time with the Lord, he took me to that portion of scripture, and as I was reading, I don't know how to explain it but it seemed as if suddenly it was just me and Him and we were part of what I was reading.

At v9 where it begins, "Behold," (I'm using the Amplified) "he stands behind the wall of our house, he looks in through the windows, he glances through the lattice. My beloved speaks and says to me, Rise up, my love, my fair one, and come away.  For, behold, the winter is past; the rain is over and gone.  The flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing [of birds] has come, and the voice of the turtledove is heard in our land.  The fig tree puts forth and ripens her green figs, and the vines are in blossom and give forth their fragrance.   Arise, my love, my fair one, and come away".

I envisioned Him peeking through the windows that I had put between Him and me.  I heard Him asking me to rise up from where I was spiritually and come away with Him.  The hurts of life were in the past, the sorrow was over and gone.  It was time to blossom.

v14 "[So I want with him, and when we were climbing the rocky steps up the hillside, my beloved shepherd said to me] O my dove, [while you are here] in the seclusion of the clefts in the solid rock, in the sheltered and secret place of the cliff, let me see your face, let me hear your voice; for your voice is sweet, and your face is lovely".

Now, every woman knows she does not look her best when she's been rock climbing.  But here God was saying to me "now that I've got you in this secret place with me, show me your face".  IOW let me see who you really are.  He knows who we really are but He want's us to turn our faces toward Him, and now away from Him because of shame.   And not only that but He want's to hear our voice.

V15 [My heart was touched and I fervently sang to him my desire]

I'm close to tears now, even as I write it out. 

He loves us so much.  He calls us to come away with Him.  And it's in those times that He changes us and molds to be more like Him.  What an awesome Shepherd we have.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MikeMcK

Apr 10, 2002
✟13,732.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I tend not to believe that this is about the church. There may be paralels between the two and if you can draw an illustration between the two, great, but I don't believe that's what it's speaking of.

If it is, I'd be curious to know how the rather graphic depictions of oral sex relate to the church.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.