Something I can never understand - can anyone help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simonline

The Inquisitor
Aug 8, 2002
North West England
Visit site
✟13,927.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Actually, I see the problem. I very carefully, and correctly said "any thing" space included, it's important. And you changed it to "anything" which means something different. You assume that things need a point of origin, except for God, and I believe that things don't need a point of origin.

OK. Let me spell it out to you so that it is completely idiot-proof.

Only God Himself is both Eternal and Immutable such that He does not (nor can He) have a definite point of origin. ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING ELSE THAT EXISTS MUST HAVE HAD A DEFINITE POINT OF ORIGIN SINCE ABSOLUTELY NOTHING (GOD INCLUDED) CAN BRING ITSELF INTO EXISTENCE EX NIHILO.

With respect what you believe about created things not needing a definite point of origin is just a philosophical presupposition with no basis in reality whatsoever.

Simonline.

Upvote 0

Archaeopteryx

Wanderer
Jul 1, 2007
✟70,740.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I don't have to explain from where God came because He didn't come from anywhere, but you have to explain from where the universe came if not from God creating it (and your explanation has to be metaphysically coherent and internally consistent)?!
occams_razor.gif

Upvote 0

Moral Orel

Proud Citizen of Moralton
Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
OK. Let me spell it out to you so that it is completely idiot-proof.

Only God Himself is both Eternal and Immutable such that He does not (nor can He) have a definite point of origin. ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING ELSE THAT EXISTS MUST HAVE HAD A DEFINITE POINT OF ORIGIN SINCE ABSOLUTELY NOTHING (GOD INCLUDED) CAN BRING ITSELF INTO EXISTENCE EX NIHILO.

With respect what you believe about created things not needing a definite point of origin is just a philosophical presupposition with no basis in reality whatsoever.

Simonline.
You know, you say "with respect" but you also imply I'm an idiot, and also claim my belief has no basis in reality, which implies I am insane. Not very nice.

You have your belief, I have mine. I have scientific and mathematical evidence that my belief is right, and you have your faith. There's no proving for absolutely certain which one of us is right, so I guess we'll just have to disagree on the value of the evidence presented to each of us.

Upvote 0

Simonline

The Inquisitor
Aug 8, 2002
North West England
Visit site
✟13,927.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
You know, you say "with respect" but you also imply I'm an idiot, and also claim my belief has no basis in reality, which implies I am insane. Not very nice.

Your belief doesn't have any basis in reality and one could argue that you are insane for holding to such a belief?

You have your belief, I have mine.

But the absolute nature of reality, such as it is, insists that our beliefs cannot both be true. One of our beliefs is wrong. Either the Infinite Personal God brought the Creation into existence ex nihilo or the Universe is eternal? http://www.gotquestions.org/universe-eternal.html

I have scientific and mathematical evidence that my belief is right, and you have your faith.

The implication being that faith is blind and in direct opposition to science and mathematics? Nothing could be further from the truth. Without Judeo-Christianity there would be no science. Scientific study is predicated on an ordered universe brought about by a personal and intelligent Divine Creator. Were the universe chaotic then there would be no science (and probably no-one to do scientific study either)?

There's no proving for absolutely certain which one of us is right, so I guess we'll just have to disagree on the value of the evidence presented to each of us.

Food for thought?!

http://www.revelationtv.com/programmes/episode/the-god-debate

http://www.revelationtv.com/programmes/episode/the-god-debate272573

http://www.revelationtv.com/programmes/episode/the-god-debate840299

http://www.revelationtv.com/programmes/episode/the-god-debate945637

http://www.revelationtv.com/programmes/episode/the-god-debate670133

http://www.revelationtv.com/programmes/episode/the-god-debate996093

http://www.revelationtv.com/programmes/episode/the-god-debate3716

http://www.revelationtv.com/programmes/episode/the-god-debate840457

http://www.revelationtv.com/programmes/episode/the-god-debate653651

Simonline.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Simonline

The Inquisitor
Aug 8, 2002
North West England
Visit site
✟13,927.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
What does that mean, exactly?

The way it is being used it is an attempt to cut God and the supernatural out of the equasion predicated as it is on a militant secular humanistic/materialistc worldview.

Simonline

Last edited:
Reactions: BabylonWeary
Upvote 0

Simonline

The Inquisitor
Aug 8, 2002
North West England
Visit site
✟13,927.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

It means that it is self-existent without any assistance from any other quarter. In reality, only God Himself (being both Eternal (Isa.48:12; Rev.1:8; 21:6; 22:13) and Immutable (Mal.3:6; Jas.1:17)) can possibly be Self-Existant and Self-sustaining. Everything else that exists does so because it was brought into a contingent existence by God as the Creator (Gen.1-2; Col.1:15-16; Rev.4:11) and, since the Creation is utterly incapable of sustaining itself, is maintained in that existence on a millisecond by millisecond basis by the Creator Himself (Col.1:15-16). It is for this reason that God has the absolute right to do whatsoever He wishes with any part of His Creation or indeed His entire Creation and it is this of which sinful man is so utterly resentful and against which he is so completely rebellious (Gen.3).

However, the time is coming when God's gracious forebearance and mercy toward sinful man will cease and His Holy and Righteous Judgement against sinful and rebellious man will begin (2Pet.3).

Simonline.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Archaeopteryx

Wanderer
Jul 1, 2007
✟70,740.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The way it is being used it is an attempt to cut God and the supernatural out of the equasion predicated as it is on a secular humanistic worldview.

Simonline
Is there any reason that we should be including supernatural entities in the equation? Has invoking the supernatural ever furthered our understanding of anything?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Archaeopteryx

Wanderer
Jul 1, 2007
✟70,740.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
It means that it is self-existent without any assistance from any other quarter. In reality, only God Himself (being both Eternal (Isa.48:12; Rev.1:8; 21:6; 22:13) and Immutable (Mal.3:6; Jas.1:17)) can possibly be Self-Existant and Self-sustaining. Everything else that exists does so because it was brought into a contingent existence by God as the Creator (Gen.1-2; Col.1:15-16; Rev.4:11) and, since the Creation is utterly incapable of sustaining itself, is maintained in that existence on a millisecond by millisecond basis by the Creator Himself (Col.1:15-16).
Evidence please.

Upvote 0

Simonline

The Inquisitor
Aug 8, 2002
North West England
Visit site
✟13,927.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Is there any reason that we should be including supernatural entities in the equation? Has invoking the supernatural ever furthered our understanding of anything?

Yes. Without God as Creator nothing else can exist. Absolute reality dictates that the Universe is neither self-existent nor self-sustaining and the only reasonable explanation is that the universe was brought into existence by an infinite Personal Creator. If this is not the case then how does one explain all the infinite compexity within the Universe itself (especially Man)?!

Simonline

Upvote 0

Simonline

The Inquisitor
Aug 8, 2002
North West England
Visit site
✟13,927.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Evidence please.

Look around you. The problem is not a lack of evidence but the intransigence of your will in refusing to acknowledge that the Creation is evidence of the Creator.

I have absolutely no intention whatsoever of wasting my time and effort presenting evidence in support of the Truth simply for you to a priori sumarily dismiss it?!

Simonline.

Upvote 0

Archaeopteryx

Wanderer
Jul 1, 2007
✟70,740.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Yes. Without God as Creator nothing else can exist.
Evidence please.
Absolute reality dictates that the Universe is neither self-existent nor self-sustaining and the only reasonable explanation is that the universe was brought into existence by an infinite Personal Creator.
Evidence please.
If this is not the case then how does one explain all the infinite compexity within the Universe itself (especially Man)?!
Argument from ignorance.
Look around you. The problem is not a lack of evidence but the intransigence of your will in refusing to acknowledge that the Creation is evidence of the Creator.
No, the problem really is lack of evidence.
I have absolutely no intention whatsoever of wasting my time and effort presenting evidence in support of the Truth simply for you to a priori sumarily dismiss it?!
You haven't presented any evidence to begin with. You made assertions and quoted scripture, that's all.

Upvote 0

True Scotsman

Objectivist
Jul 26, 2014
✟16,557.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I don't have to explain from where God came because He didn't come from anywhere, but you have to explain from where the universe came if not from God creating it (and your explanation has to be metaphysically coherent and internally consistent)?!

Says who? Your explanation is not metaphysically coherent. It violates the primacy of existence and the axioms of philosophy. It is contradictory to every valid metaphysical principle that we can actually observe.

Saying that existence, as a whole, has always existed is metaphysically coherent because does not violate the primacy of existence, the axioms of philosophy and commits no fallacies. The universe may change form but it does not come into or out of existence. It is an absolute.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Moral Orel

Proud Citizen of Moralton
Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
But the absolute nature of reality, such as it is, insists that our beliefs cannot both be true. One of our beliefs is wrong. Either the Infinite Personal God brought the Creation into existence ex nihilo or the Universe is eternal? http://www.gotquestions.org/universe-eternal.html
I agree, one of us is wrong. And since there are a lot of facts wrong with that source, it doesn't help your case.
First is defines the big bang incorrectly "first, there was nothing, then, BANG, something came into being".
Then it gets the story wrong on Einstein's biggest blunder. He had essentially discovered dark matter and had put in a constant variable to account for its effect on orbits, but couldn't explain it. It wasn't this "divisible by zero" nonsense.
It states as a fact that the Universe is running down, but that isn't necessarily true. People don't understand the second law of thermodynamics.
And then it ends on this weird philosophical note that "every effect must resemble its cause" which is not true, and we see nature do the opposite of this claim all the time.

Here's a question, why would you call it a debate if it is a discussion between like-minded individuals? You're never going to learn anything new if you only talk to people that already agree with you.

The implication being that faith is blind and in direct opposition to science and mathematics? Nothing could be further from the truth. Without Judeo-Christianity there would be no science. Scientific study is predicated on an ordered universe brought about by a personal and intelligent Divine Creator. Were the universe chaotic then there would be no science (and probably no-one to do scientific study either)?
Another belief you hold for no reason. The universe doesn't need a creator to have math govern parts of it.

Upvote 0

mnorian

Oldbie--Eternal Optimist
In Memory Of
Mar 9, 2013
✟980,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When I was in high school; a group of us boys would walk around a lake in the middle of our small town in Minnesota, in the springtime; and debate different philosophical subjects; thinking we were all very intellectual, as none of the adults we knew; talked about these things.
I had been in and out of different Churches since I was a child; but had quit going cause we moved to a new town. One of the other students was a regular Church goer; and me and him got into a debate; wither God was real or not. We argued/debated for probably a week that one warm spring; with him saying God existed; and I was on the other side of the debate; the other guys didn't have an opinion one way or the other; but thought it was amusing to listen to us. All the time I wanted him to prove that God was real; and the arguments I would think up; I had as good or better arguments for God's existence in my mind; that I thought he should have stated. God in latter years let me know, in no uncertain terms, that He was real. That's what will happen to some of you guy's; He will let you know. Then you will have to decide wither to live for God/Jesus...or not. That's the hard part.

Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I see no reason to believe that such a being exists, much less that he did what was claimed in Genesis 1:1-3.

And you'll meet Him one day, one second after your last breath. He has revealed what will happen then, according to Romans 1:18-32 (ESV). God's language is that you will be 'without excuse' when you face him (Rom 1:20 ESV).

Oz

Upvote 0

Davian

fallible
May 30, 2011
West Coast of Canada
✟38,603.00
Faith
Ignostic
Marital Status
Married
And you'll meet Him one day, one second after your last breath. He has revealed what will happen then, according to Romans 1:18-32 (ESV).
This is laughable. What other subjects can we apply this to? You won't believe in extraterrestrial aliens until you die. You won't believe in Bigfoot until you take your final breath. You will receive knowledge of the Loch Ness Monster as you cross to the other side...
God's language is that you will be 'without excuse' when you face him (Rom 1:20 ESV).
Seriously? How hard would it have been for a bible writer to simply jot that down?

Upvote 0

Archaeopteryx

Wanderer
Jul 1, 2007
✟70,740.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
And you'll meet Him one day, one second after your last breath. He has revealed what will happen then, according to Romans 1:18-32 (ESV). God's language is that you will be 'without excuse' when you face him (Rom 1:20 ESV).

Oz
Did you know that the Quran also says that you are without excuse for not accepting the doctrines of Islam?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.