someone you love breaking your trust.

Thunder Peel

You don't eat a peacock until it's cooked.
Aug 17, 2008
Missouri
✟40,869.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I always think of the verse in 1 Corinthians that says, "Love always trusts". However, I also realize that's easier said than done and it doesn't mean that we allow someone to take advantage of us time and time again.

I know this feeling all too well, Ethie. Trusting used to come so easily to me and I never had any trouble with it at all. Over the years I began to notice that people took me for granted and would abuse that trust, doing whatever they wanted and always knowing that they could come back to me again and I would just shrug it off. It took someone breaking my heart and making me look and feel like a total fool before I realized just how far my trust can go. I forgave and moved on but the memory and fear of that event still haunts me, only because I'm terrified of it happening again.

That event, coupled with something work-related at the time, left me shattered and has made me a nervous and paranoid person. I've never been a suspicious person but after that time trusting is so difficult for me and I feel like I'm walking on eggshells every day, just praying that people are who they say they are and that they genuinely care about me. I'm getting better and God has healed some parts of that. I'll admit that I still have a way to go.

I believe in second chances and if it's someone you love enough then I believe anything is possible and God can reconcile that divide. It takes two to make that work, though. If the other person isn't willing to change or prove they're trustworthy then there isn't a whole lot you can do. It's also made me even more committed to be a trustworthy person. I know how much it hurts when someone breaks my trust and that only motivates me to be as honest and diligent as I can. I'm who I say I am and I do what I say I will do. My word is very important to me and in my relationships, especially my romantic one, I want there to be no doubt that I can be trusted and believed in every area of my life.

Sorry. That was probably really unhelpful. I'll be praying for you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Verve

No grit, no pearl.
Apr 12, 2011
✟24,640.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I've been in situations with toxic people in my life before where I've had to forgive but let them know that they may be sorry for that action or a series of actions but since the issue at the root of it isn't being dealt with I can not return to where we were before.

Some people make mistakes and learn from them, are willing to grow, they genuinely try.

Others cry and beg with a thousand apologies and lots of dramatic flair it's all surface.

Figuring out which it really is, is very important.
If the person doesn't respect you or themselves disrespectful behavior is likely to happen again.

Hope this is helpful :hug:

Upvote 0

mina

Brown Eyed girl
Sep 26, 2003
in the South
✟115,511.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It depends on the relationship to how I would react.
If it's my spouse or someone I'm really close to like a family member; then I would point blank tell them that they have hurt me and broken my trust and it might be a while before I could trust them again. Hopefully, they would be willing to work on it.
If it's someone I'm just friends with......honestly I'd probably distance myself and put boundaries in my life where they are concerned. I might even tell them that I can't trust them anymore if they really want to know.

Upvote 0

Blank123

Legend
Dec 6, 2003
✟56,875.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I think it depends a lot on what was done, how close you were, the nature of the relationship, etc...

For me... if someone I loved, trusted, and considered close broke my trust in a big way... it takes me a long time to trust them again. My natural instinct is to both protect my heart and to forgive and let go. But it takes me a long time again before I can trust them completely.

This post probably wasn't very helpful :/ But don't force the trust issue. Make them earn your trust back. Love them, forgive them, but protect your heart. And maybe it can be an opportunity to establish much needed boundaries and clarification in the relationship to move forward - if thats what you choose.

Reactions: jbarcher
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Stravinsk

Neo Baroque/Rococo Classical Artist
Mar 4, 2009
Australia
✟9,955.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Politics
US-Libertarian
If someone you love and have known for a very long time, broke your trust what would you do?

It can be any person, any type of trust that is broken. I want to be specific but I'm too tired to think any further then this.

Thank you for your thoughts.

This question is framed too broadly for me to answer specifically. A broken trust could be anything from a father revealing what his wife got for their son's birthday to the son who was about to buy said item (thus breaking the mother's trust of secrecy) to matters far more consequential in life - such as cheating on a spouse.

Upvote 0

Glas Ridire

Dec 28, 2010
✟4,005.00
Faith
Celtic Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Broke trust is. . .. .

If one were to say in a word what the condition of being a
samurai is, its basis lies first in seriously devoting one’s body
and soul to his master. And if one is asked what to do beyond
this, it would be to fit oneself inwardly with intelligence,
humanity and courage.’ The combining of these three virtues
may seem unobtainable to the ordinary person, but it is easy.
Intelligence is nothing more than discussing things with others.
Limitless wisdom comes from this. Humanity is something done​
for the sake of others, simply comparing oneself with them and
putting them in the fore. Courage is gritting one’ s teeth ; it
is simply doing that and pushing ahead, paying no attention to
the circumstances. Anything that seems above these three is​
not necessary to be known.

When it comes to trust, think about these words. Ultimately your call is to your master, everything else must be framed in these ways of thinking to His will.

Upvote 0

Rory

The Dude abides...
Nov 16, 2005
So Cal
Visit site
✟14,911.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
From personal experience I know how I would react. Serious depression and never really being able to trust the person again. Of course that lack of trust is sometimes blinded by the love thats still there, but the real trust never really comes back.

Of course I'm not sure I'm really qualified for this question honestly, considering my medical history.

Upvote 0