occidental ca
✟15,926.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
His grace is very hard to hear. He is currently the vicar bishop for Metropolitan Joseph who oversees the Bulgarian church in North America and Australia. My church is Bulgarian and he comes and gives sermons and speaks so quietly it is crazy

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟754,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Other than his polemical works, what was Fr. Seraphim Rose well known for? Why should he be venerated as a modern saint? I am honestly curious.

I think many people find his faith to be pure & inspiring in which an atmosphere of liturgical awe is in ascendence & the mass of laity peripherally engaged in dutiful ritual conformity.

Upvote 0

Yoder777

Senior Veteran
Nov 11, 2010
✟22,581.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I do admire him for his radical change of life and how inspiring that can be for others. To go from being an atheist drug addict to one of the most dedicated monks of modern times is pretty amazing. But in terms of his theological output, what is worth reading other than his polemical works involving toll houses, evolution, and the new age movement?

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I do admire him for his radical change of life and how inspiring that can be for others. To go from being an atheist drug addict to one of the most dedicated monks of modern times is pretty amazing. But in terms of his theological output, what is worth reading other than his polemical works involving toll houses, evolution, and the new age movement?
I enjoyed reading the book on his Life and Works. I think it's called that: Life and Works of Fr. Seraphim Rose.

Upvote 0

Knee V

It's phonetic.
Sep 17, 2003
South Bend, IN
✟100,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

His overall message was a call to repentance and to the pursuit of acquiring the patristic mind in all things.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Knee V

It's phonetic.
Sep 17, 2003
South Bend, IN
✟100,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What specifically would you recommend that was written by him? I ask this in all kindness.

From reading your posts here recently, you really might not like much of what he wrote (although he actually wrote very little. Much of what is ascribed to him are just his homilies that were transcribed by others). Although his polemical stuff is not his main point, he can come across as overly polemical to some. You may appreciate reading about him (his life is really neat to learn about). If that's the case, "The Life and Works of Fr Seraphim Rose" might be up your ally.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jckstraw72

Doin' that whole Orthodox thing
Dec 9, 2005
South Canaan, PA
Visit site
✟64,422.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
you could check out the book "Letters from Fr. Seraphim" by Fr. Alexey Young. It's a collection of letters from Fr. Seraphim over a 12 year period that really highlight his pastoral nature. i think it is quite excellent. The bulk of his writings was in the form of articles for the Orthodox Word journal that he worked on for 100 or so issues before he reposed.

about his incorrupt body - well, that's reported in his biography. i guess you just either accept the testimony of those who were there, or not. i would also highly recommend that you read his biography. i have read it 5 or 6 times now, it's simply fantastic.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Are the rumors true that when he died, his body at the funeral was uncorrupted and had a sweet scent?

yeah, and he took on a glowing, kinda beezwax color. he also has healed people in their dreams.

I would also suggest his bio, it is an amazing life.

Upvote 0

Macarius

Progressive Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2007
The Ivory Tower
✟52,122.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My fear, in all honesty, is that people are in a rush to venerate him as a saint because they want a saintly-stamp-of-approval on some of the fundamentalist things he said.

For the quality of his life, I could see him being venerated as a saint, but I'd like it to wait a few generations so the (VERY controversial) debates he was involved in will have died down enough to have a clear perspective on his life and works.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
He is a bit of a lightning rod. There are people at my parish who love him, and a few who can't stand some of his views and say "fundamentalist" as well. One lovely woman I know said that his writings actually took her off track from her Orthodox journey and were deleterious to her faith. Some I know at church just think he's incredible.

Me, I'm more of an Elder Thaddeus of Vitovnica kinda guy! :thumbsup: I'm reading "Our Thoughts Determine Our Lives" right now and am loving it.

My fear, in all honesty, is that people are in a rush to venerate him as a saint because they want a saintly-stamp-of-approval on some of the fundamentalist things he said.

For the quality of his life, I could see him being venerated as a saint, but I'd like it to wait a few generations so the (VERY controversial) debates he was involved in will have died down enough to have a clear perspective on his life and works.

Upvote 0