Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
My mother-in-law has some very flawed theological views as part of a bigger, more flawed world view. At one point she mentioned something (as though it were Scripture) that "some will be saved [through] fear".

For the life of me I can't locate a Scripture that alludes to that, and if it actually exists I highly doubt she's interpreting it correctly.

Is anyone able to weigh in on this?

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟436,372.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Found this in KJV :

And of some have compassion, making a difference: And others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh.

Jude 1:22-23

That would make sense if that's what she's referring to since, she exclusively accepts the King James bible.

No other version seems to word it that way:

New International Version (©1984)
snatch others from the fire and save them; to others show mercy, mixed with fear--hating even the clothing stained by corrupted flesh.

http://nlt.scripturetext.com/jude/1.htm
New Living Translation (©2007)
Rescue others by snatching them from the flames of judgment. Show mercy to still others, but do so with great caution, hating the sins that contaminate their lives.

English Standard Version (©2001)
save others by snatching them out of the fire; to others show mercy with fear, hating even the garment stained by the flesh.

New American Standard Bible (©1995)
save others, snatching them out of the fire; and on some have mercy with fear, hating even the garment polluted by the flesh.

23save others by snatching them out of the fire; and have mercy on still others with fear, hating even the tunic defiled by their bodies. (NRSV)

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟436,372.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
The first thing that comes to mind is the phrase "fear of the Lord" from the poetic books in the Old Testament (Psalm 111:10, Proverbs 1:7; 9:10; 16:6 and many others).

Yeah generally those seem to suggest a respect and/or reverence for God rather than anything truly "fearful", no?

As I look at the notes made by the authors of my bible (New Oxford Annotated Bible), their notes for v. 22-23 say:

The difficulties in interpreting these verses have given rise to several scribal simplifications that reduce the three clauses to two: to have mercy on some by rescuing them from fire (by getting them to repent; cf. Zech. 3.24) and to have mercy on others with fear (of being corrupted oneself).
I thought that was interesting...

Upvote 0