Farmington
✟23,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Widowed
Just a few quotes from preachers of the 1700s & 1800s. These men of God are well worth the read.

George Whitefield, Method of Grace
But then, my dear friends, beware of resting on your first conversion. You that are young believers in Christ, you should be looking out for fresh discoveries of the Lord Jesus Christ every moment; you must not build upon your past experiences, you must not build upon a work within you, but always come out of yourselves to the righteousness of Jesus Christ without you; you must be always coming as poor sinners to draw water out of the wells of salvation; you must be forgetting the things that are behind, and be continually pressing forward to the things that are before.

Charles Spurgeon: A Caution to the Presumptuous
Proud souls, ye quench the Spirit. Ye arrogant men, ye grieve the Holy Ghost. He leaves every heart where pride dwelleth; that evil spirit of Lucifer he abhors; he will not rest with it; he will not tarry in its company. Here is your greatest danger, ye proud ones—that the Spirit leaves those who deny their entire dependence on him.

Horatius Bonar: The Cure For Unbelief
I have told you, my brethren, that there is a blight shed over us by Satan—that the prince of the power of the air has infected the very atmosphere with his oppressive influence. But I would also tell you that above and beyond this unbelieving atmosphere there is a cloud charged with heaven’s own refreshing rain—a cloud which God has hung above this land of ours, and which in mercy He still keeps suspended there, full of genial showers. It is to draw down the riches of that cloud that we call you to prayer and fasting. And shall I tell you that there is such a glorious cloud floating above you, and shall you not be anxious to draw down upon ourselves the plenteous showers of heaven, that “the parched ground may become a pool, and the thirsty land springs of water” (Isa 35:7)? Impossible! You must surely be desirous of blessings so rich and plenteous. Let then your prayer and fasting come up before God like the prayer of Elijah upon Mount Carmel, even until seven times, and be assured there shall come an abundant rain. The showers of heaven shall descend upon us—upon our church, upon our nation, upon our parish, upon our schools, upon our families! Is this not worth the praying for, even though our faith should be tried for many a weary day and hour?

Andrew Murray: Absolute Surrender,
Give up yourselves absolutely to the will of God. You know something of that will; not enough, far from all. But say absolutely to the Lord God: “By Thy grace I desire to do Thy will in everything, every moment of every day.” Say: “Lord God, not a word upon my tongue but for Thy glory, not a movement of my temper but for Thy glory, not an affection of love or hate in my heart but for Thy glory, and according to Thy blessed will.”

Jonathan Edwards: God's Sovereignty in the Salvation of Men
God may save any of the children of men without prejudice to the honour of his majesty. If men have affronted God, and that ever so much, if they have cast ever so much contempt on his authority; yet God can save them, if he pleases, and the honour of his majesty not suffer in the least. If God should save those who have affronted him, without satisfaction, the honour of his majesty would suffer. For when contempt is cast upon infinite majesty, its honour suffers, and the contempt leaves an obscurity upon the honour of the divine majesty, if the injury is not repaired. But the sufferings of Christ do fully repair the injury. Let the contempt be ever so great, yet if so honourable a person as Christ undertakes to be a Mediator for the offender, and in the mediation suffer in his stead, it fully repairs the injury done to the majesty of heaven by the greatest sinner.