Some migrants say a wall wouldn't stop them from entering the US, but Customs and Border Protection

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Some migrants say a wall wouldn't stop them from entering the US, but Customs and Border Protection says it's a key part of the solution

Alisson Luna, 22, fled Honduras, after she said was raped, with her three children and grandmother, embarking on a nearly 3,000-mile journey to reach the United States in order to seek asylum. Waiting in Tijuana, Mexico until she and her family could make their claim, Luna told ABC News that this was her only option.

Luna and her family are waiting at El Barretal, a music venue turned migrant shelter about 30 miles south of the U.S. southern border in Tijuana. The cramped and crowded shelter had only 300 migrants when ABC News was there Wednesday, but at its peak, was the waiting place for some 3,000.

Raddatz asked Luna if a border wall would stop people attempting to cross illegally.

“No,” she said.

[...]

After traveling back to the U.S. side of the border, Raddatz and her team toured 14 miles of the border with CBP San Diego Sector Chief Patrol Agent Rodney Scott. It didn’t take long for them to witness migrants, including a 25-year-old woman fleeing El Salvador with her 2-year-old son, trying to sneak into California in an area where new walls were being built. The woman and her son were apprehended by CBP.

“Is there any part of you still where you look at that family and think I've got to help?” Raddatz asked Scott.

“On many, many levels I feel compassion for those people,” Scott answered. “But I also feel compassion for the several thousand people that have been in line at the San Ysidro [San Diego] port of entry for several weeks, waiting to do it right, and those people literally just cut in line in front of them.”

Scott said CBP needs more areas with a border wall, even if it’s not a complete solution.

“We cannot effectively control the border without barriers to slow down illegal entries,” he told Raddatz, adding that while a wall wouldn’t necessarily stop the illegal flow of drugs, which mainly come through legal port of entries and tunnels, a wall would allow Scott “to free up personnel to focus on that threat.”

More at link: Some migrants say a wall wouldn't stop them from entering the US, but Customs and Border Protection says it's a key part of the solution

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟330,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Some migrants say a wall wouldn't stop them from entering the US, but Customs and Border Protection says it's a key part of the solution

Alisson Luna, 22, fled Honduras, after she said was raped, with her three children and grandmother, embarking on a nearly 3,000-mile journey to reach the United States in order to seek asylum. Waiting in Tijuana, Mexico until she and her family could make their claim, Luna told ABC News that this was her only option.

Luna and her family are waiting at El Barretal, a music venue turned migrant shelter about 30 miles south of the U.S. southern border in Tijuana. The cramped and crowded shelter had only 300 migrants when ABC News was there Wednesday, but at its peak, was the waiting place for some 3,000.

Raddatz asked Luna if a border wall would stop people attempting to cross illegally.

“No,” she said.

[...]

After traveling back to the U.S. side of the border, Raddatz and her team toured 14 miles of the border with CBP San Diego Sector Chief Patrol Agent Rodney Scott. It didn’t take long for them to witness migrants, including a 25-year-old woman fleeing El Salvador with her 2-year-old son, trying to sneak into California in an area where new walls were being built. The woman and her son were apprehended by CBP.

“Is there any part of you still where you look at that family and think I've got to help?” Raddatz asked Scott.

“On many, many levels I feel compassion for those people,” Scott answered. “But I also feel compassion for the several thousand people that have been in line at the San Ysidro [San Diego] port of entry for several weeks, waiting to do it right, and those people literally just cut in line in front of them.”

Scott said CBP needs more areas with a border wall, even if it’s not a complete solution.

“We cannot effectively control the border without barriers to slow down illegal entries,” he told Raddatz, adding that while a wall wouldn’t necessarily stop the illegal flow of drugs, which mainly come through legal port of entries and tunnels, a wall would allow Scott “to free up personnel to focus on that threat.”

More at link: Some migrants say a wall wouldn't stop them from entering the US, but Customs and Border Protection says it's a key part of the solution

This is what I don't buy about asylum claims:

"Waiting in Tijuana, Mexico until she and her family could make their claim, Luna told ABC News that this was her only option."

If she left Honduras, walking, she passed through Guatemala and then crossed the entirety of Mexico to reach the border. To say that asylum in the United States is her "only option" simply isn't true. She can apply for asylum in Mexico, she could have remained in Guatemala, or she could have gone to any South American country.

So obviously, asylum isn't her reason for coming to the United States.

Upvote 0