Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Is anyone here in the path of the total solar eclipse we’re having today and will you be having any kind of watch party?

I’m in So Cal so we will only be seeing a partial eclipse but I’ll still be trying to get a (safe) glimpse of it before it’s gone.

Feel free to share any thoughts or comments on it here if you’d like.

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟371,286.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Up here in alberta, we aer only having about 30% coverage but our students are all stuck indoors for recess! Apparently the district is worried they're gonna look at the sun outside. I've made an eclipse view to use in our classroom anyways.

Personally, I think it's a load of poop.

That said, I've heard schools in Ontario are actually closing for the day because of it. I'm jealous.

Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

*LILAC

Site Supporter
Jan 22, 2005
✟459,390.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, the schools here in Ontario closed as a PA day today. So long as the clouds stay out of the way, we are in the total path of the eclipse. The beach area is set up, complete with a medical command centre, roads are closed and people are jamming themselves in while they can.

I'm just wondering how the cat and dog are going to react, if they do?

Upvote 0

adrianmonk

Recursive Algorithm
Jan 14, 2008
Seattle, WA
✟226,914.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Is anyone here in the path of the total solar eclipse we’re having today and will you be having any kind of watch party?

I’m in So Cal so we will only be seeing a partial eclipse but I’ll still be trying to get a (safe) glimpse of it before it’s gone.

We are supposed to get a very partial eclipse up in the PNW, but it's cloudy so no visible eclipse at all here.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟698,740.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I am only in the 89.1% of totality range but I've been watching NASA's live feed... The totalities in Mexico were beautiful...

Arkansas is closer to totality now . Dallas just left it.

Reactions: rambot
Upvote 0

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟936,497.00
Faith
Atheist
We just left it. The halo was cool. It was so dark you couldn't see the halo with the glasses. We think we saw a solar artifact on the bottom of the sun (kind of an orange diamond). Once a finger nail of light broke thru on the other side, it was immediately blinding. The darkness was similar to about 830 of so PM.

Upvote 0

The IbanezerScrooge

I can't believe what I'm hearing...
Sep 1, 2015
Florida
✟245,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
We just left it. The halo was cool. It was so dark you couldn't see the halo with the glasses. We think we saw a solar artifact on the bottom of the sun (kind of an orange diamond). Once a finger nail of light broke thru on the other side, it was immediately blinding. The darkness was similar to about 830 of so PM.
That's cool. We only reached about 57% but you could still tell the sunlight was less. Got some cool pics of leaf shadows and pin-hole projections.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟698,740.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

The diamond shape is called Baily's beads. It's caused by the sun shining through lunar valleys with peaks on either side.

Upvote 0

*LILAC

Site Supporter
Jan 22, 2005
✟459,390.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, that was neat! Our pets snoozed their way through it like it was no biggie. Living out in the rural area, because all the other main attraction locations were at max capacity, folks were lining up on the road out here! We saw 3 stars come out, as well! I got chills because it got super cold, super fast. lol

• Friendly
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟98,167.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

We got 89% coverage, so not a total one. But, it was awesome nonetheless. My manager at work has a $2000 Nikon camera, and he got a few good photos of the partial eclipse.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟371,286.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Even though we weren't in the totality the owls came out in force...

I love eclipses... :)
Owls are harbringers of very good things in First Nation lore here in Cree territory.

• Friendly
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟874,014.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I experienced the solar eclipse in my region about half a year ago, so I'd heard about this one coming, but kind of forgot about it. I'll be honest, an eclipse is not very exciting to me.

But I was working on some documents in my computer room for a while and then got up and passed by the kitchen window and noticed it was weirdly dark outside. I glanced at the clock and noticed "wow it shouldn't be this dark at 1:30 p.m." Then I remembered. :)

Really I don't find them that exciting. I guess people like them because they're rare? Diamonds are also rare but if you gave me one and I didn't know it was worth money I'd probably throw it in the trash.

Upvote 0