So I'm new to the family of god...and I have a question...

3M0_Girl

The scars Lie deep...but now God is deeper...
May 17, 2010
A small place called... Planet earth...
✟7,909.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Basically, I don't know much about the different in depth accounts/titles/areas what ever it would be called.

Such as Baptist, Catholic, ect...

I was just wondering if some of you could in a nutshell, explain what it is you believe, and what category your beliefs would go under.

Thanks!
~Ashley K.

Eirlysa

saved by grace through faith working in love
Apr 7, 2010
England, United Kingdom
✟7,784.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Most of the "titles" are denominations of different groups of Christians that have broken off over the years from the Catholic church, following the first spilt (The East - Orthodox and The West - Catholic - schism) over disagreements of dogma, doctrine, and interpretation of the Bible.

Generally speaking, the Protestant denominations (Episcopal, Baptist, etc) hold true to that the Bible is the main source of authority on all doctrine and dogma (this is called Sola Scripture) and the other churches (Catholic and Orthodox and also some Anglicans/Episcopal) believe in both the Bible and the non-biblical Sacred Tradition to define their doctrines and dogmas.

But the Statement of Faiths are a good read. :)

Upvote 0

oi_antz

Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There is only one sprit of God - the Holy Spirit. All of Christ's churches possess the Holy Spirit, the difference within denominations is the interpretation of scriptural dogma. Axioms of belief if you like.

I tend to think such churches have taken the fork in the road and are actually violating freedom by doing so. As I understand the message of Christianity is that Jesus' spirit is the counsellor who interprets the Bible when we read. Until you ask Jesus into your life, you can't actually have a relationship with Him.

Many churches overlook this necessary step in faith, where the purpose of Christianity is to have a personal relationship with Jesus and The Father who sent Him. If you don't take this step and ask Jesus into your life, your time at church is spent soaking up their dogma and receiving hope to get through the week - learning in theory rather than spirit.

Once you have the spirit of Christ, you'll be able to learn from every church where the teacher is speaking in the Holy Spirit. I have seen a preacher in the methodist church (no offence) whose spirit was dampened by their protocol - she was not encouraged to speak freely but rather to concentrate on her presentation to comply with the churches dogmatic framework.. hope this is something to think about.

Upvote 0

Peripatetic

Restless mind, peaceful soul.
Feb 28, 2010
✟22,095.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There are two things that you should be looking at, and the first is much much more important than the second.

1. MOST important: Core beliefs of a Christian church. You will often find these summarized in a creed or statement of faith. You will also find that most Christian denominations share the same core beliefs. The heart of the matter lies in the faith/belief in one Holy and all-powerful God made up of three persons (Father in Heaven, Son - whose death on the cross paid for our sins, and Holy Spirit - who acts as guide for us today).

2. LESS important: Denominational differences within Christian churches. Many of these differences are more personal and match up with certain types of believers. They all have their flaws and their special qualities. The main thing to avoid is a church that purposefully strays away from scripture.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Basically, I don't know much about the different in depth accounts/titles/areas what ever it would be called.

Such as Baptist, Catholic, ect...

I was just wondering if some of you could in a nutshell, explain what it is you believe, and what category your beliefs would go under.

Thanks!
~Ashley K.

I don't consider myself a denomination, as my beliefs don't completely align with any really. I have been attending Methodist churches lately because they are so far mostly matching what I prefer worship-style wise. My beliefs align well with most Protestant denominations, and a little bit of non-Protestant, especially with prayer and worship preferences, like my views on communion.

Upvote 0

JeffShott

JeffroDisiac the Aphrodisiac.
Mar 13, 2010
Spring Hill, TN.
✟15,806.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Thank you haha, ill def be doing some reading in that

thanks!
~ Ashley K.

Haha, no problem. I'm surprised that I was the first one to post it.
Hey, I am not exactly a "new" Christian, but I am searching just like you. If you want to PM and talk, feel free to. I encourage it. :thumbsup:

In His Love,
Jeff.

Upvote 0