Becoming X
Jan 14, 2011
The 'rents' basement
✟15,724.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
The Church is not Israel, they're two separate entities altogether. Supporting Israel today is no different than it would have to support them during the reigns of David or Solomon.

That's only true if you ignore the entire New Testament. It's always interesting how fundies come across more as slightly confused orthodox Jews than Christians.

Upvote 0

Gabe7

Apr 1, 2011
✟1,885.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
I used to make threads like these all the time, and even though people didn't always agree with me, they'd either ignore the thread, or find something semi-related, or not related at all, and we'd just have casual banter back and forth.

Now, everyone is super serious about everything and feel the need to give their 2 cents on things even when not asked.

A flag is a political statement. Flying a flag says you politically support what that flag represents. That isn't necessarily what the Bible represents.

I don't want to argue with you so much as to make you aware of how others may see what you are doing. There is a group of people called Palestinians, along with many other Arabs, who hate Israel for reasons both real and imagined. If you fly the flag of Israel they may hate you for the same reasons.

Upvote 0

MacFall

Agorist
Nov 24, 2007
Western Pennsylvania, USA
✟25,688.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I can choose to support whomever I want.

My allegiance is to GOD, not a country, but that doesn't mean I can't support them.

You can, but to support a political artifice that is contrary in nature and purpose to the spirit of Christ is an awfully strange thing to give your moral sanction.

Upvote 0

Touma

Feb 19, 2007
Virginia
✟19,033.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Bad things happen to those who mess with God's chosen nation. God foretold the modern state of Israel we have today in Amos 9:14-15. It was God's will that they became a nation again.

14And I will bring again the captivity of my people of Israel, and they shall build the waste cities, and inhabit them; and they shall plant vineyards, and drink the wine thereof; they shall also make gardens, and eat the fruit of them.

15And I will plant them upon their land, and they shall no more be pulled up out of their land which I have given them, saith the LORD thy God.

You realize the context of these verses, yes? It was written around 750 BC, a few decades before the Assyrians completely overwhelmed the nation of Israel. It would still go under a few other exiles, Babylon, Persia, and Roman Diaspora. So was God lying when he said "They shall no more be pulled out of the land I have given them?" or is it perhaps human understand which is flawed?

We must remember two things:
1) God's original promise to Abraham was FAR more expansive than the Israel we know today. So to say that the current boundaries would be the fulfillment of Biblical prophecy and covenants is wrong. Originally the Covenant to Abraham said that the promised land would be made up of Israel proper (not in those words :p) as well as the modern nations of Saudi Arabia, Omen, Yemen, Turkey, Iraq, Syria, Lebanon, Jordan, Kuwait, UAE, and several other nations within the Middle East Region. Israel has not, nor has the capability to lay claim to those lands. So if prophecy is true, then Israel must capture all that land.

2) The old Covenants are obsolete. Hebrews straight up says this. We live under a new covenant.

Oh and a final point regarding American Christian Zionism(which says support Israel, regardless, because its their land/in the Bible/etc). This view point quite literally sickens me. It is no different than Manifest Destiny, which, not coincidentally, was "found in the Bible" and then was used to murder and displace millions of people. Example, Sand Creek. Bunch of Natives wait outside a US fort in the winter. The US troops, led by a preacher man name Colonel John Chivington, and the same logic as the Israelis (God has promised this land to US and we must take it back from the heathen), and then committed a massacre of mostly women and children. One written account said this:
THEY WERE SCALPED, THEIR BRAINS KNOCKED OUT; THE MEN USED THEIR KNIVES, RIPPED OPEN WOMEN, CLUBBED LITTLE CHILDREN, KNOCKED THEM IN THE HEAD WITH THEIR RIFLE BUTTS, BEAT THEIR BRAINS OUT, MUTILATED THEIR BODIES IN EVERY SENSE OF THE WORD.
The logic is the same, and the results are the same. The Israeli military is very brutal, and kill a disproportionate amount of civilians, especially children. In 1982, when they invaded Lebanon, they attacked clearly marked schoolhouses, hospitals, and houses of worship. All in the name of 'god'. They do the same with the Palestinians. Sure a Hamas militant might lob a rocket off and it kill a person, but then Israel responds with non-stop airstrikes, mortars, and tank attacks, which, again, kill mostly civilians. Supporting Israel is honestly, truthfully, sincerely, NOT a Christian thing to do.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.