Smoke Cigs/Dip A Sin?

Mock

May 25, 2012
✟7,670.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Do you think smoking Cig's or Dip is a sin? When I first smoked a Cig Which wow it has been along time I got real dizzy and a really strong buzz and it felt good. This kind of sounds like a little drunken state or high. Same results with dip, obviously you gain a tolerance but it still makes you feel "Good". Being dependent on cigs seems kind of bad to. God says to be only dependent on him and I know sometimes people can not go without a cig or dip. What's your thoughts?. I myself personally do not smoke anymore mostly because of lung issues which I thank God for doing to me in a weird way because I am not sure if I would have ever quit without that.

Mock

May 25, 2012
✟7,670.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Smoking is a sin. Somewhere in the new testament it says "He who destroys the body, God will destroy."

John 10:10 says that the "Thief [Satan] comes only to kill, steal and destroy...." Smoking destroys your body.

This is true but what about Sodas, McDonald's and etc you obviously know they are not good for you and can destroy your body.

Upvote 0

thesunisout

growing in grace
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2011
He lifts me up
✟159,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is true but what about Sodas, McDonald's and etc you obviously know they are not good for you and can destroy your body.

Any kind of addiction is harmful, spiritually. If Satan can't addict you to illegal drugs, he'll try legal drugs, like cigarettes and coffee. If he can't addict you to those, he'll try to addict you to eating. He will also try to addict you to entertainment, the internet, video games, hobbies, etc. In this information age, humans want to be constantly stimulated. They constantly need something going on or they become instantly bored and impatient, even anxious and angry. It's all an addiction. Satan tries to get us in a state of being unable to wait on the Lord, concentrate on His word, be attentive to pray, and have the time to do any of those things. He tries to waste all of our time and fill our day with trivialities. We have to be vigilant with our time, guard our bodies (temples) from corruption and have the mind of Christ in all circumstances. I advise all Christians to pray for the gift of the discerning of spirits, so you can tell what spirit something is in.

Upvote 0

MAS0N

May 26, 2012
Elk Grove, CA
Visit site
✟15,185.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
12 All things are lawful for me, but all things are not helpful. All things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any. -1 Cor. 6:12

I don't believe it's a black and white sin, but I also personally don't believe we are to be addicted to anything. If you want to stop smoking and can't, that is not a picture of freedom. That is a picture of bondage.

Not to mention, it's not healthy for your body and those around you and can lead to an ugly ending in some cases. God doesn't desire that for you.

Many times addictions begin by filling some type of void in our life. Voids that Jesus can fill without the negative consequences..

Upvote 0

WilliamB

Apr 21, 2011
Miami, FL
✟2,869.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
12 All things are lawful for me, but all things are not helpful. All things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any. -1 Cor. 6:12

I don't believe it's a black and white sin, but I also personally don't believe we are to be addicted to anything. If you want to stop smoking and can't, that is not a picture of freedom. That is a picture of bondage.

Not to mention, it's not healthy for your body and those around you and can lead to an ugly ending in some cases. God doesn't desire that for you.

Many times addictions begin by filling some type of void in our life. Voids that Jesus can fill without the negative consequences..

Good answer! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

MAS0N

May 26, 2012
Elk Grove, CA
Visit site
✟15,185.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Last year a famous Dutch actor died who smoked all his life. He promised his wife that he would stop smoking on his 107th birthday. He died at age 108. True story. Go figure.
As for me, I am addicted too, to cookies and milk.

Kutte

Interesting...other than giving your heart to Jesus, I wouldn't recommend any major lifestyle changes to someone who's 107. Just keep doing whatever got you there ;)

Upvote 0

Bob Carabbio

Old guy -
Dec 22, 2010
Glenn Hts. TX
✟35,409.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"Do you think smoking Cig's or Dip is a sin?"

It's LIKELY to be - based on the First Commandment - thou shall have NO OTHER GODS BEFORE ME. ANYTHING that's "Compulsive"/Habitual, is a god that YOU SERVE. When I smoked, I served the "Cigarette god" with a single-minded dedication and commitment that was well-nigh impenetrable. Even known pre-cancerious changes in my lungs only brought me down to 1 pack a day for a week or so until I worked back to three again where I'd been for the previous 10 years.

"I myself personally do not smoke anymore mostly because of lung issues"

I don't have "Lung issues", I have heart attacks instead - holding at 13.

But God also engineered my exit (quit cold) from the tobacco habit (in 1967), which I would NEVER have been able to "kick" without His constant help for several months. I'm STILL a smoker, of course. I just didn't "Light up" today - for the last 45 years.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

thesunisout

growing in grace
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2011
He lifts me up
✟159,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He's more worried about things ur not doing evil a cig won't hurt.. I smoke, I also honor him well in this day in age that's not too bad of a sin, who's counting? That's why Jesus died

Sin is sin, and it does hurt. Jesus didn't die on the cross so we can sin and get away with it. To willfully sin and say "what's the difference, Jesus paid for it" is to treat His shed blood as a common thing and to insult the Spirit of grace. That is obviously sinful in itself. And you're certainly not honoring God by smoking.

1 Corinthians 6:19

What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?

People who don't know God are looking to you as an example of the Lord Jesus Christ, and being a nicotine addict does not bring any glory to His name. In actual fact it reflects very poorly on His reputation. People are going to see that you are under the power of your addiction and surmise "what good is his Jesus? this man is an addict just like me."

Upvote 0

jdale72

Mar 16, 2007
✟15,287.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Smoking is proven to kill. Smoking leaves many husbands, wives,and kids with terrible memories of watching those dearest to them die slowly. Smoking is known for the blackouts from not being able to get enough oxygen, the removal of body parts, and huge medical bills. Is smoking a sin? I don't know, but what it does to you and those around you sure seems like hell to me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
May 20, 2012
Chicago
✟8,041.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Well IMO, I think it is a sin.
The bible states that God created us in his image. :bow:
So I think intentional harm to our body is a sin.

Also with so many of God's children sick and dying I think it's selfish of us to put our health at risk. That's just my opinion though.

I would like to think I don't judge smokers, My best friend smokes occasionally, but he has only smoked once around me. I have scar tissue in my lungs from an infection in August of last year, so I have an inhaler. People are generally very considerate about it.

Because of my lung scar tissue and a family history of lung cancer (with or without smoking) I will never smoke. Smoking is a personal decision, provided your not blowing smoke into someone's face. (Happened to my 4 year old cousin at a bowling alley)

Just a fun fact: In Illinois to smoke you must be at least 15 feet from the building or in a designated smoking area (usually rooms heated shed's without a roof and with an open spot for entry) :p

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

thesunisout

growing in grace
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2011
He lifts me up
✟159,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Charles Spurgeon smoked an occasional cigar. Do any of you out there have a ministry like he did? We sure are quick to condemn, que no? Paul told Timothy to drink some wine for his ailing stomach, and one of the first things Noah did after the flood was to plant a vineyard, make wine and get drunk. What would you do if tomorrow, the whole world as you knew it, was gone? Would you act all pious like you do now?

Noah's son saw him laying there passed out from too much wine, and naked, and something not good happened (I personally believe Noah got sodomized by his son but the bible doesn't say really, just implies) so do as the bible says and don't be DRUNK with wine.

Jesus needs no reason to tell you not to drink at all but if He hasn't put His finger on wine and told you, "No." then it's ok for you, provided it does not go against your conscience.

Jesus turned the water to wine and had it served to a whole wedding party of people. If drinking any amount of wine was forbidden, Jesus would not have had the wine served.

The minute that you're picking through the bible trying to find something to justify your behavior, you're already in the wrong. The fact that you would do so demonstrates that you're under conviction about it, and scripture says that everything not done in a good conscience is sin.

Romans 14:23

But the man who has doubts is condemned if he eats, because his eating is not from faith; and everything that does not come from faith is sin.

It also says that we should never do anything which would cause someone else to stumble. The fact is, a smoking Christian is a very poor example for Christ, and it will cause others to stumble. It's not "acting all pious" to follow the commands of our Lord to live sanctified lives. If the whole world were gone tomorrow, I wouldn't stop following the Lord. Neither do we follow Noah, or Charles Spurgeon; we follow Jesus Christ, and we are commanded to abstain from even the suggestion of impropiety.

Upvote 0