Santo Domingo
✟25,823.00
Country
Dominican Republic
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
All the parishes I know in my city (not sure of the ones in other dioceses) are focusing in the creation of small communities (5-10 people) with a coordinator. This way, there is an increased sense of belonging. Two different communities serve at the 11AM Sunday Mass. And well: it has brought some kind of "revival" of the practice of our faith for many who were not as involved in the parish life (and even the Christian life in general).

Just wondering if this focus of creating small communities is common anywhere else, or if it's just a "local-level" strategy used in my diocese.

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,091,275.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I lived in a St. Louis parish for six years that established small church communities, and I really enjoyed participating.

The movement was started by Fr. Art Baranowski, and he even came to visit our church and discuss them.

Here are some books about small church communities.

Ordering Information

Fr. Art was also interested, not only in forming communities, but in using the "community" concept whenever parish groups gathered together--the choir, CCD teachers, social concerns, Bible studies, etc.

Upvote 0

Martinius

Catholic disciple of Jesus
Jul 2, 2010
The woods and lakes of the Great North
✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have not noticed it happening to any great extent in our area, but I have heard of it, read about it, and I think it is a wonderful idea.

Unfortunately, the tendency is to look toward the priests for direction and the impetus to start any such program. But it really should come from the people of the parish, with the blessing of the pastor. I have found that anything that is started and controlled from "outside" the group to be served has little hope of long term success. It has to be driven and built up from within.

I know that in some Catholic communities this idea has worked well. For example, at some parishes in India which have thousands and thousands of families, people belong to neighborhood faith communities, with dozens of them in a parish. We may be arriving at the same point in the U.S., with the consolidation of many parishes, the creation of "super-parishes", and the resulting loss of community identity. Perhaps what is working in your diocese would work as well in those parishes and dioceses.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,674,981.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Protestants have been doing it for years.
True. One thing you can say about protestants... they have the incentive & drive to put things together if they see a need.

Upvote 0

Andres88

Contributor
Feb 7, 2008
Santo Domingo
✟25,823.00
Country
Dominican Republic
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
True. One thing you can say about protestants... they have the incentive & drive to put things together if they see a need.

Absolutely. Even though we should not diminish faith to a competition between Protestants and Catholics, there is a lot we can learn from them (and a lot that they can learn from us as well, obviously).

Didn't know about Fr. Art Baranowski. I think I'm going to have to do some research on him.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,674,981.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Absolutely. Even though we should not diminish faith to a competition between Protestants and Catholics, there is a lot we can learn from them (and a lot that they can learn from us as well, obviously).

Didn't know about Fr. Art Baranowski. I think I'm going to have to do some research on him.
I can honestly say I am immensely grateful for my protestant background. Enough said. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
All the parishes I know in my city (not sure of the ones in other dioceses) are focusing in the creation of small communities (5-10 people) with a coordinator. This way, there is an increased sense of belonging. Two different communities serve at the 11AM Sunday Mass. And well: it has brought some kind of "revival" of the practice of our faith for many who were not as involved in the parish life (and even the Christian life in general).

Just wondering if this focus of creating small communities is common anywhere else, or if it's just a "local-level" strategy used in my diocese.

The parish I worked for the school in tried it. They had a meeting to explain the idea (I know, because I volunteered my time to set up the audio/visual for them), but I don't think it got any traction. A shame, really.

Upvote 0

MKJ

Contributor
Jul 6, 2009
East
✟23,894.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
In big parishes, I can see how some sort of smaller groupings might be required (or, build smaller churches). But 5-10 people seems like too small a group to me.

It would be easy to get into a group where you did not really much connect with any of the people. Or what if one was a real jerk or there could be personality conflicts... How do you deal with this stuff if you happen to get assigned to the same group without it causing its own headaches.

It just seems a little artificial somehow. People usually get to know each other by being involved in some small group, and over time in a parish their circle widens. If it is not possible to do that, I am wondering how the parish has nothing going on for people to be involved in, or why no one looks out for new people, or why the parish is so huge people are anonymous to each other.

Upvote 0

Fran75

May 3, 2011
Mason Dixon line
✟8,809.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

Absolutely, my husband is a protestant and is more devout than I, although I don't agree with his church on many things I am humbled and inspired by their passion and devotion to our Lord.

I have never heard of cell groups or the like though.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

QuantaCura

Rejoice always.
Aug 17, 2005
✟21,762.00
Faith
Catholic
This is the kind of thing which will vary depending on the participants and oversight. It can range from something fairly edifying to the blind leading the blind into the pit. My experience with them in college was they ended up being a mediocre Bible study, where no one had the real knowledge or experience to offer anything particular profound, but everyone was well meaning.

Interesting enough, their results have generally been better than what their promoters have actually wanted for them.

Call to Action (Fr. Baranwoski has spoken at several of their conferences) and similar idealogues have apparently looked to small church communities (SCCs) as a way to disassociate Catholics from the hierarchy and have spread them with this end in mind. Nevertheless, people who end up participating in them (at least in the US) are actually more likely to be involved with the parish in general and are more likely to believe what the Church teaches. This of course is seen as a problem for Call to Action who have sought to reform SCCs to better work for their agenda. Here's the article with this info:

Library : The Catholic Experience of Small Christian Communities - Catholic Culture

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Andres88

Contributor
Feb 7, 2008
Santo Domingo
✟25,823.00
Country
Dominican Republic
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Great insight, QuantaCura!
In my parish, these small communities have helped our brothers feel more identified with the Church its teachings, and to be more involved in the parish life. They have a coordinator who leads the community for 3-6 months, but he/she is trained before assuming that role.

Upvote 0