Visit site
✟8,286.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
My back hurts, my neck aches and I barely feel rested when I wake up in the morning.

welcome to parenthood?

Please I need some advice, my 8 month old boy won't go to sleep in his crib anymore and thinks that our bed is for him and him alone.

Not that I blame the little guy. It's not like I can explain to him the neccessity of mommy and daddy's backs not being sore. Any tips on how to compromise or reconcile our differences :)

God bless,

Zach

lucypevensie

Not drinking the kool-aid
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2002
WI
✟1,777,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Oh my... You are probably one of those parents who just don't sleep well with a baby in your bed. I'm like that too, and because of that my babies were in their cribs pretty much right away. You need your sleep just like he needs his. I know he's just a little guy, but I really think he can learn to sleep in his own crib. It might take a few nights of crying, and you might need to go in and reassure him with pats on the back and soft words, but do not pick him up and take him into your bed. If it makes you feel better try things like soft music or a fan to make a soothing sound for him.

Just remember, you deserve to get a good night's sleep, and a sore back is not a requirement of parenthood.

Whatever you do, I hope you can figure out a way to get some rest:)

Upvote 0

Evening Mist

gentle mother
Feb 7, 2003
Delaware
Visit site
✟997.00
Faith
Christian
I could never let a baby cry alone in a crib. I just couldn't do it. We rocked/nursed our babies to sleep and laid them down, and when they woke during the night we brought them into our bed. That way, we had a few hours without baby. Then when baby came to bed, DH moved into a twin bed that we keep in our room and baby snuggled with me. As baby grew older, the length of time in his own bed grew longer... It works for us. DH gets his space, and baby gets his snuggles.

Upvote 0

coastie

Hallelujah Adonai Yeshua!
Apr 6, 2002
Central Valley of CA
Visit site
✟8,286.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
thanks for the tips!

I wish we could just let him cry, but I'd rather be a parapalegic than listen to him scream for an hour (which we've done).

Problem is that since I got out of the military, we've moved in with my folks and we are all sharing a room for who know's how long.

I'm considering making him a white russian but with formula instead of milk. That'd probably work eh? :)

Upvote 0

pmcleanj

Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner
Mar 24, 2004
Alberta, Canada
Visit site
✟7,281.00
Faith
Anglican
coastie said:
thanks for the tips!

I wish we could just let him cry, but I'd rather be a parapalegic than listen to him scream for an hour (which we've done).

Problem is that since I got out of the military, we've moved in with my folks and we are all sharing a room for who know's how long.

I'm considering making him a white russian but with formula instead of milk. That'd probably work eh? :)
Well, I couldn't sleep with #1 in the bed, either. And she was the peaceful one! By the time #2 came along, I was a lot older and tireder (word?). I still couldn't sleep with her in the bed -- she used to crawl laps in her sleep! -- but I didn't have the energy to get out of bed and put her back in the crib, either.

Try this: feed him, change him, put him in the crib, and gently rub his back for a few minutes. Wrap yourself up in a quilt, prop yourself upright in a chair next to his crib, and sit there until he falls asleep. Talk to him comfortingly and stroke his back if he fusses, to reassure him that you're near-by. That might get him used to the idea that you're nearby even when he's in his own crib. If not, it might leave you tired enough to sleep deeply even when he's in bed with you LOL!

Upvote 0