Nov 14, 2008
✟15,573.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Saying or writing something negative and untrue about another person unjustly ruins or diminishes that person's reputation and social life. Since people value their relationships as much if not more than their health and their possessions, this is a grievous harm indeed. But born-again Christians are just as likely as non-Christians to say something about someone that isn't true or to say mean things behind another person's back.

What do you think about slander and defamation and what can we do about it?

ChristianCritic

Nov 14, 2008
✟15,573.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Another issue that we have to do better on~words are dangerous, New Testament speaks of it often as something that reveals our true self..

That's true--but then again, James says that no one is perfect with respect to their tongue. I'm sure there is some of this going on in the forum and when we see someone slander someone else it's so easy to just join in with the crowd (and be glad that we're not the one being targetted) but I think that when we see it happen we should have the courage to confront the slanderer with their lies and defend those who cannot defend themselves.

Upvote 0

LivingLifeHisWay

If grace is an ocean we're all sinking.
Oct 25, 2006
✟16,170.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Having been the brunt of much slander lately within my former church home I know how much this hurts. I think a few things we can do is: pray and not engage ourselves in this type of behaviour. Allow it to stop with us. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: QuakerOats
Upvote 0

QuakerOats

— ♥ — Living in Love — ♥ —
Feb 8, 2007
Ontario, Canada
✟18,314.00
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-Greens
but I think that when we see it happen we should have the courage to confront the slanderer with their lies and defend those who cannot defend themselves.
I agree, we should confront them, if possible, and come to the aid of those being maligned, but we should remember to do so compassionately, even if we are ticked. I think LivingLifeHisWay said it best when she said we should allow it to end with us. Living by example is the best way we can discourage any kind of behaviour.

Upvote 0

ladyt28

God's Grace Fills My Life
Jun 12, 2007
Michigan
✟37,455.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I find that this behavior seems to become the "norm" during election season. And lets use the "g" word - gossip. I have learned that bruises and other physical injuries can heal but the damage that words can do sometimes never heal and can often result in someone turning their back on God and His house for decades.

Upvote 0

Moriah_Conquering_Wind

Mar 6, 2006
✟34,174.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Saying or writing something negative and untrue about another person unjustly ruins or diminishes that person's reputation and social life. .....

Have been slandered more by Christians than any other "type" of person if you want to know the truth. But even had that not been the case, it would still be heinous to have happened at all, because Christians, of all people, ought to not only know better but BE better. As in not doing it, period. Regardless of "to whom" -- it does not matter if we bes talksy bout a fellow Christian, a Muslim, an atheist, a Jew, a Buddhist, a Wiccan, an agnostic, or even a devil-worshipper. No one should ever be slandered or defamed. Ever. Period. No Christian should ever do so. Ever. Period. No exceptions, no excuses, no wiggle room.

Slander basically begins whenever someone passes a negative and false judgment against someone else based on their limited comprehension of what they imagine themselves to be "observing" about that person. (Granted, some people* have minds so narrow that having all the facts would not change their judgment one whit; they would still pass judgment based upon some prefabricated categorical condemnation or dismissal of some specific exterior 'behavior' on the surface and nothing more -- but we shall leave the IQ of 60 crowd out of this for the time being and discuss only conceivably intelligent life forms instead.) It bes all well and good to make a mistake, and we all do it at times -- we all misjudge others at times, and that can be forgiven of course -- but once the one being so judged speaks up to set the record straight, that should end it. When someone states unequivocally that X, Y, and Z constitute the truth of their being, not A,B, C or whatever else we have judged, that should END the peddling of A, B, or C as the "facts", instantly, period, and the wagging tongue peddling that should be silenced, period, no exceptions. The person in question has spoken, they have explained themselves and stated what constitutes themselves and what makes them "tick" and NO ONE ON EARTH HAS THE RIGHT TO ATTEMPT TO GAINSAY THAT, EVER, BECAUSE NO ONE ELSE KNOWS THEM LIKE THEY KNOW THEMSELVES.

If humans would JUST get that ONE little crucial piece of reality STRAIGHT in their godforsaken brains it would save us all from so much unnecessary grief and hassle and stupidity and bickering and other stupid rotten garbage no one should have to put up with just because someone wants to be a nit and push, push, push for their FALSE, LYING, SLANDEROUS opinion to be taken for truth/reality INSTEAD of the ACTUAL truth/reality of another person's being and existence.

WHEW that bes a mouthful. ;) But there you have it -- the problem, and what needs to be done about it. But will anyone listen..... heh. Doubtful. It bes too much fun thinking we know someone else better than they know themselves, apparently. Being honest doesn't allow us the "thrill" of schadenfreude that comes with stomping others in the public square, apparently.

Yes, it has a very jaded (but therefore accurate!) view of human nature. Gee, wonder where that came from??? :idea:
=======================
* Disclaimer: all examples refer to personal encounters in the author's life and do not exist to point fingers or 'call out' anyone on this site. Any resemblance to actual members on CF bes purely coincidental for which said author will NOT be held responsible nor accept accusations to the contrary over.

Upvote 0

StreetPreacher82

Walking from the valley to the mountain...</br><b>
Site Supporter
Dec 17, 2008
✟1,130.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I think part of the problem goes back to passion when it comes to Christians. I'm afraid that sometimes we become so passionate about what we believe, that we do say things to hurt others. I'm not saying that it is right, but I know it happens and have been guilty of it myself.

Upvote 0

Moriah_Conquering_Wind

Mar 6, 2006
✟34,174.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think part of the problem goes back to passion when it comes to Christians. I'm afraid that sometimes we become so passionate about what we believe, that we do say things to hurt others. I'm not saying that it is right, but I know it happens and have been guilty of it myself.
So what's the answer? People generally regard it a "good" thing to be "passionate", especially where they can tell themselves they bes "passionate" about God, about truth, about righteousness, etc. and totally miss the self-serving, self-exonerating, overwhelming marinade of spiritual pride (deadliest of all sins for many reasons, not least of which being it remains the most difficult for one to detect in himself) in that attitude. How do we begin to awaken both awareness and consciousness of this?

And -- sorry in advance for how this will sound but it bes a sincere question and one that weighs heavily for Moriah -- why bes not the Holy Spirit doing His job in this regard? Christ said that the spirit of truth would guide into all truth (this bes truth too, why does He not guide them there then?) and also that the Spirit convicts people of sin (what's wrong to do), righteousness (what's right to do), and judgment (consequences & results of these). So why does He not convict them, then, to stop doing these horrible things which not only create harm and hurt temporally but actually drive souls away from God, sometimes permanently? Can ANY of us say our precious precious little "passion" fits bes worth the eternal welfare of another sentient creature? God forbid!! :(

Upvote 0

MrJim

Legend 3/17/05
Mar 17, 2005
FEMA Region III
✟42,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So what's the answer? People generally regard it a "good" thing to be "passionate", especially where they can tell themselves they bes "passionate" about God, about truth, about righteousness, etc. and totally miss the self-serving, self-exonerating, overwhelming marinade of spiritual pride (deadliest of all sins for many reasons, not least of which being it remains the most difficult for one to detect in himself) in that attitude. How do we begin to awaken both awareness and consciousness of this?

And -- sorry in advance for how this will sound but it bes a sincere question and one that weighs heavily for Moriah -- why bes not the Holy Spirit doing His job in this regard? Christ said that the spirit of truth would guide into all truth (this bes truth too, why does He not guide them there then?) and also that the Spirit convicts people of sin (what's wrong to do), righteousness (what's right to do), and judgment (consequences & results of these). So why does He not convict them, then, to stop doing these horrible things which not only create harm and hurt temporally but actually drive souls away from God, sometimes permanently? Can ANY of us say our precious precious little "passion" fits bes worth the eternal welfare of another sentient creature? God forbid!! :(

Agreed~"passion" is no excuse, the end doesn't justify the means. Christ was all about the "means":cool:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

StreetPreacher82

Site Supporter
Dec 17, 2008
✟1,130.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Agreed~"passion" is no excuse, the end doesn't justify the means. Christ was all about the "means":cool:

The goal here was not to look for an excuse, but a reason. We can call most any justification an excuse. Calling each and every possible reason an excuse is an old, dried up term parents use on their kids. I'm not saying that it is a good thing or even an excusable thing, however, you cannot discredit what people's 'passions' (right or wrong) will do to them. It's that simple.

Just my 2 cents. ;)

Upvote 0

MrJim

Legend 3/17/05
Mar 17, 2005
FEMA Region III
✟42,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The goal here was not to look for an excuse, but a reason. We can call most any justification an excuse. Calling each and every possible reason an excuse is an old, dried up term parents use on their kids. I'm not saying that it is a good thing or even an excusable thing, however, you cannot discredit what people's 'passions' (right or wrong) will do to them. It's that simple.

Just my 2 cents. ;)

I'm hearin' ya~it's just that "religious passion" that causes one to sin isn't from God..

Upvote 0

StreetPreacher82

Site Supporter
Dec 17, 2008
✟1,130.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I'm hearin' ya~it's just that "religious passion" that causes one to sin isn't from God..

Agree 100% :thumbsup:

Sorry, I grew up hearing the "don't make an excuse" spiel and I get the jitters when it comes up. :ebil:

Upvote 0

DRamsay

Jan 10, 2009
✟192.00
Faith
Atheist
I think most of the time gossip isn't blatant lying, just unconfirmed rumors floating around. People hear interesting things and they circulate it, even if they aren't entirely sure it's true. Why the OP thinks this is especially prevalent in "born-again Christians" and "non-Christians" is beyond me. Nevertheless, it is despicable to tell people things about other people which you know aren't true, but then again I haven't met many people like this, and I'm inclined to think that that kind of person gets him/herself a bad reputation as a liar rather quickly. The best way to combat slander and gossip really is to make sure the stories you hear about people are credible and not told to you by one of these aforementioned liars.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Saying or writing something negative and untrue about another person unjustly ruins or diminishes that person's reputation and social life. Since people value their relationships as much if not more than their health and their possessions, this is a grievous harm indeed. But born-again Christians are just as likely as non-Christians to say something about someone that isn't true or to say mean things behind another person's back.

The point is not whether a certain piece of information about a person is true or not, and therefore whether it constitutes slander. The point is, is it loving to repeat it?

If it is loving to repeat it, then fine; spread it to the four winds. Tell everyone who will listen how generous, kind hearted or loving a certain person is. This kind of gossip we can never get enough of.

On the other hand, true or not, if certain information is not loving, then keep it to yourself. Bad news always travels faster than good. If it is true, then others will see for themselves, without you having to spread it. And if it is false, it is best ignored.

Easy to say, very difficult to do. :)

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed

Indeed so. Christians often forget that one of the fruit of the Spirit is self control. We can all of us do with demonstrating this more often. If we are at the point where passion has over-ridden self control, then it has also over-ridden the Spirit of God himself.

Not a good idea, that.

Upvote 0

Izdaari Eristikon

Mar 12, 2007
Post Falls, Idaho
✟32,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
I think most of the time gossip isn't blatant lying, just unconfirmed rumors floating around. People hear interesting things and they circulate it, even if they aren't entirely sure it's true. Why the OP thinks this is especially prevalent in "born-again Christians" and "non-Christians" is beyond me. Nevertheless, it is despicable to tell people things about other people which you know aren't true, but then again I haven't met many people like this, and I'm inclined to think that that kind of person gets him/herself a bad reputation as a liar rather quickly. The best way to combat slander and gossip really is to make sure the stories you hear about people are credible and not told to you by one of these aforementioned liars.
Yes, it's obviously bad to spread damaging information that you know is false. But people's reputations are more often harmed by spreading damaging information that might or might not be true. The technical term for that is "gossip", and it remains gossip even if the tidbit in question is credible. I'm not going to say anything negative about anybody unless I know it's true, not merely if it's credible. And even then, I'll probably say nothing unless it's important for people to know for some reason, and that it meets Catherineanne's test of being loving.

Upvote 0