I'm not [senDing sublimInal messagEs!]
Jun 15, 2005
Visit site
✟54,022.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I was told by someone that the sins of the parents are passed on to their children for up to 4 generations causing a bit of a generational "curse" and that children pay for the sins of the parents.

Is that true or is that something that someone was making up? I think I do remember seeing a verse in the OT about that but I thought really only was for the Old Covenant not the new...

If it is true...how does that play into salvation?

Heiroglyph

Jan 6, 2005
✟7,492.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
yes God said
Exodus 20:5 - Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;
So that would apply only to unforgiven children. Once you're saved all your sins are washed away and you are innocent in God's eyes. All the more reason to get saved!

Upvote 0

sethad

Jun 15, 2005
Visit site
✟54,022.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
so...

I'm not debating...honest. I tend to come up with more questions and stuff as topics go along.

If we're born into sin...does that mean that babies and little kids will go to hell if they die? and if kids pay for the sins of their parents that means the same thing...they go to hell if they die?

If kids pay for the sins of their parents...that means...? they are held accountable for what their parents did and it is partly their fault?

That verse is in Exodus...it would have been a part of the Old Covenant. so does it still apply even under the New Covenant?

Upvote 0

sethad

Jun 15, 2005
Visit site
✟54,022.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Blake said:
I would say you are correct. Christ came to remove the Old Covenant and to bring about the New Covenant. The Old Covenant was put in place to show man his sinfulness, that he is incapable of meeting God's standards, that is why we needed a savior.

so what about kids and babies?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

talitha

Cultivate Honduras
Nov 5, 2004
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Visit site
✟22,601.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Blake said:
All of us are born into sin, from Adam and Eve.

As to a generational curse that is new news to me. Honestly, I don't think that statement holds any water. The bottom line is we are all sinful and are not capable of removing that stain, unless we are covered by Christ's blood.

Blake?? That statement made by God Himself holds no water?? Isn't that a cross by your name? wow......

Yes, the sins are visited on the children, etc. God said so, and it's true. It's part of how He identified Himself to Moses when Moses asked to see His glory. I believe the sins are visited on the children because they must be dealt with, as a part of the redemption of each family line and ultimately the entire human race. Look at Abraham, the original faith-guy. He told a little white lie for fear of his life, calling his half-sister-wife his sister. Then for the same reason Isaac also called his wife his sister, but she was not his sister at all. Isaac's son Jacob was a deceiver from his youth, even deceived his own father, and several of his sons partnered up to deceive him, telling him his favorite child, Joseph, was dead. FINALLY, the whole problem was dealt with in Joseph, and because of him the family did not die out and did not become a nation of deceivers. But Abraham's faith is what was passed down beyond Joseph's generation instead.......

blessings in Christ.
tal

Upvote 0

sethad

Jun 15, 2005
Visit site
✟54,022.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
talitha said:
Blake?? That statement made by God Himself holds no water?? Isn't that a cross by your name? wow......

Yes, the sins are visited on the children, etc. God said so, and it's true. It's part of how He identified Himself to Moses when Moses asked to see His glory. I believe the sins are visited on the children because they must be dealt with, as a part of the redemption of each family line and ultimately the entire human race. Look at Abraham, the original faith-guy. He told a little white lie for fear of his life, calling his half-sister-wife his sister. Then for the same reason Isaac also called his wife his sister, but she was not his sister at all. Isaac's son Jacob was a deceiver from his youth, even deceived his own father, and several of his sons partnered up to deceive him, telling him his favorite child, Joseph, was dead. FINALLY, the whole problem was dealt with in Joseph, and because of him the family did not die out and did not become a nation of deceivers. But Abraham's faith is what was passed down beyond Joseph's generation instead.......

blessings in Christ.
tal

uhh...

So people are saved by family lines and not as individuals now? since when?

It sounds like you're saying that if one person is saved it saves their whole family line before them.

and it sounds like you're saying you believe that if ONE person sins in a family the people from then on are doomed.

I dont know...now I'm getting confused. I thought with the New Covenant it was done as individuals...can't save other people. and I thought all it took was for a person to believe in Jesus then they're saved...not anyone else.

Also...if it's a generational thing...does that hold me at fault for what my parents and grandparents did wrong? cuz...my dad did some bad stuff...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Blake

Musically Challenged
Jul 1, 2003
Vanuatu
Visit site
✟8,045.00
Faith
Christian

I already stated that I was proven wrong.

so...you saying you agree with croc or not? blake

We are under the New Covenant, not the Old.

---

I think what it boils down to is that we are born into sin. Then we have to make the choice whether to accept or reject God's gift of salvation, through Jesus Christ alone.

Upvote 0

Ron_the_Nazarene

Jul 19, 2005
Bremerton, WA ... for now
✟373.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
... Take the relatives of Adolp Hitler, Ted Bundy, or anyone like them. Did they commit atrocities against society? No. But they still carry the pain and shame of the actions of their elders. This, I believe, is what was meant by paying for the sins of our fathers.

Upvote 0