• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Sinful?

leiriko

Feb 6, 2013
E n g l a n d
✟7,678.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hello. I've been wondering something, which in brutal honesty has kept me from interacting with other Christians and even attending Church. I've been a severe self-harmer since I was eight years old<edit> and recently managed to "stop" [more, I'm recovering], with putting faith in my belief. Yet, something I was told a few years ago still frightens me to this day.

I was told by a Christian that my self-harm was sinful, and that I would be thrown out of Churches and no matter what I did in this life I would be sent to Hell. What are your views? Can my self-harm really mean I will go to Hell, no matter how much I repent and beg for forgiveness? I'm really frightened about things and I don't know quite what to do.

Last edited by a moderator:

NoddaProbBob

And step by step, You'll lead me...
Feb 20, 2006
Northern Illinois
✟15,769.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I agree with Tom. Who ever told you that needs a lot of prayer and guidance. I will have to say that any harm we inflict on ourselves is sinful. Jesus clearly said that our bodies are a temple. But that is an "umbrella" idea. People harm their bodies everyday. Whether it be through self harm, substance abuse, eating disorders, etc, these can all be considered sinful. But as Tom said, Jesus died for ALL sins. You have already been forgiven :)

Upvote 0

Criada

Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2007
✟114,628.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I agree with the others, God has already forgiven you, sweetie. When He looks at you he sees the righteousness of Jesus.
You certainly wouldn't be thrown out of our church, and I very much doubt that you would be out of any other church. If we didn't let sinners in, the church would be empty!

Praying for you, sister :hug:

Upvote 0

briocht

Feb 24, 2013
Ireland
✟7,669.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
That's not a very Christian thing for them to say at all! Absolutely agree with everyone above. You will not go to Hell. God see's you are sorry and have repented for doing it and he has forgiven you. We are all sinners so nobody has the right to judge you for your past. Don't let anyone let you feel bad ok?

:)

Upvote 0

_Ella_

Nov 30, 2012
✟15,215.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Its not true at all who every told you this is stupid you will not go to hell for self injuring there are a lot worse sin in this world and self injury is a small sin

Jesus died for our sins and through him you can repent and ask him for forgiveness and he will listen to you

you are in my prayers

Upvote 0

hanakins

Jul 1, 2013
Scotland
✟8,775.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
I sorry to hear this! I echo what the others said above, but I'd like to add in that God KNOWS your pain. He is with you every single step. He was there when you were 8 and this started and He is there now.

He knows exactly why you do it, and he knows how you feel. He loves you and he has claimed you. The moment you dedicated yourself to him he took that burden on. (clarity - by "that burden" I mean the pain you feel - not you yourself)

Harming may be a sin. But God will understand it. He forgave you before you started and he WILL use this pain to transform you into a person who he can use to spread his love and his message on to others. He's pretty good like that :)

Worry less, trust more and accept that no matter what, He will always love you. If you are not ready for those at church to know - where covering clothes. But remember even if people do react, they are PEOPLE, and we all mess up or get startled. You already have Gods approval - and everything else becomes irrelevant.

Upvote 0