Overland Park, KS.
✟4,880.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I will admit that I do not know the difference between Rap and Hip-Hop (or if they are the same thing).

I do know that if they are the same thing, that the music of Hip-Hop is much better than it was a number of years ago. These musicians are much more talented (my opinion) that those in the current Rock bands.

However, in some of the songs the lyrics are very raunchy. These lyrics degrade what otherwise would be fantastic songs.

Think a person should quit going to see Action movies because they probably have raunchy scenes too? Or quit watching most of the tv programs because of the same. I really like these Hip-Hop radio stations, if only these musicians would just use cleaner language.

Graeme_W

Jun 6, 2005
Hartville, Ohio
Visit site
✟7,783.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I've often thought the same thing. And I really don't know what to tell you. I used to listen to hip-hop, but then got sick of it because of the bad lyrics and the repetitiveness of the songs. There is Christian-rap out there, but the artists are few and far between. If you like any rock at all, you should get into some oldies, or perhaps some newer Christian-rock. My suggestion for great Christian-rock/ska is the band called Five Iron Frenzy, they're great.

God Bless
~Graeme

Upvote 0

PaladinValer

Traditional Orthodox Anglican
Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
No, it isn't a sin unless it is a cause of your own personal sins.

If listening to hip-hop is a cause of your sins a lot, it is best to avoid it. That doesn't mean that others will be affected the same way you are, however.

All things are allowed, but not everything is beneficial. Furthermore, since we are all different, what is not beneficial to one person isn't necessarily automatically not beneficial to another. It may actually be beneficial to that person.

And, of course, let us be careful as to avoid the Manichean "white-or-black" mentality over such things. Music and poetry are art forms; in and of themselves they are neutral. How they are used, and how they affect individuals make them either good, bad, or indifferent to those individuals as themselves only, not as a group.

Reactions: Linus
Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟226,100.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Stinker said:
I do know that if they are the same thing, that the music of Hip-Hop is much better than it was a number of years ago.
Music? Is this like "Concerto for kick drum, scratched record, and foul-mouthed nitwit?"

These musicians are much more talented (my opinion) that those in the current Rock bands.
Rock musicians are generally expected to be able to play instruments, sing, or both. To "rap" the only ability required is the ability to look like a street thug and shout obscenities.

Reactions: VickiY
Upvote 0

Super Gnat

Take my hand, precious Lord, and lead me home
Sep 15, 2003
Cleveland, Ohio--Go Cavs!
Visit site
✟16,409.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
There's plenty of great Christian rap out there, if you just know where to look. Try Cross Movement, Ambassador, tobyMac (sort of), Grits, KJ-52, New Breed, and a squintillion other groups. If you look up any one of those groups on iTunes and check out the iMixes with them, you'll find many, many more. FWIW, hip-hop is the culture (or subculture, whatever); rap is one of its four pillars. The other three are tagging, DJing, and breakdancing.

Jipsah: A lot of people have that impression, but making good rap does take a lot of talent. Sure, a lot of the really popular stuff is stupid, but that's like judging all rock by Creed and Britney Spears. If you ever try rapping yourself, it's really difficult to perform even the simplest rhymes well, and if you get into the really lyrical old-school East Coast rap that I prefer--well, it takes incredible talent, both to compose and to deliver.

Upvote 0

intricatic

...a dinosaur... or something...
Aug 5, 2005
Ohio
✟58,189.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Hip hop and rap music is evil. It is blasphemous to listen to any music what-so-ever. We should all lock ourselves in a padded white room and listen to the hum of the lights above us - which is not as evil, but almost....

[/end sarcasm]

But seriously,

I do know that if they are the same thing, that the music of Hip-Hop is much better than it was a number of years ago. These musicians are much more talented (my opinion) that those in the current Rock bands.
This amused me to no end.

Upvote 0

BlueJ

Dec 27, 2005
Bronx, New York
✟8,144.00
Faith
Christian
I personally stop listening to hip hop and rap about 2 years ago becouse of the lyrics and the image. As a christian I notice a huge change in me. I dont swear, Im not angy and I handle my issues with God not music.
Rap and Hip hop have change. I even use to listen to rock. I dont any more. Insteed I listen to christian music and Jazz or oldies(70's/80's).
But the difference between Rap and Hip hop is that Hip Hop is more listen, dance, feel good type music, supposly and Rap is more like a statement rappers rap about. Personally I think rap has gone to far. It does effect some peolpe in a negative way.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
M

mountainman5885

If it were sin to listen to the lyrics in rap music (and understand that not all rap is obscene) then I would be sinning by listening to conversation in passing around campus. As with any sort of experience that we have, it has some effect. What change does it make in your heart? Does it fill you with compassion for the pain in the lives of those performing, those listening, or those affected? Does it fill you with a sense of anger that may become dangerous? Does it take to away to a careless disposition that is likely to get you take your eyes off the eternal? We all have weaknesses and strengths, and we would do good to identify them so that we can defend ourselves from evil.

Personaly, I believe that the content of much rap today is festering with evil. However, it is also a testament to the pain that the world is in, so it builds compassion in my heart. Too much will make the soul weary though.

Reactions: VickiY
Upvote 0

humbledbyhim

Oct 27, 2005
Baltimore, Maryland
✟932.00
Faith
Christian
Stinker said:
I will admit that I do not know the difference between Rap and Hip-Hop (or if they are the same thing).

However, in some of the songs the lyrics are very raunchy. These lyrics degrade what otherwise would be fantastic songs.

Think a person should quit going to see Action movies because they probably have raunchy scenes too? Or quit watching most of the tv programs because of the same. I really like these Hip-Hop radio stations, if only these musicians would just use cleaner language.

When I got saved, I completely abandoned any music with raunchy lyrics. I do admittedly hold a double standard because, I'll still watch a PG 13 movie. But if the theme of the movie is primarily sex, curse, sex,drugs, sex etc. then I won't go and see it. I usually go see the comic book movies, but I'm actually fighting within myself to decide if I will go and see X-Men3 because, I think there might be some sex in there this time around. A good rule of thumb is just to stay away from any film or music that goes against Christ.

Upvote 0

AnaSnow

Veteran
Sep 26, 2005
Bronx,NY
✟1,415.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
Hip-Hop has changed drastically. Listening back to a lot of, what is now referred to as, Ol' Skool, the lyrics were not so degrading.Rap was not originally intended to degrade women or be so vulgar. It's original purpose was to show the skills of talented artists who could come up with rhymes quickly in their head to express what was in their hearts. There is a lot of Christian Hip-Hop. I do not think that listening to rap or R&B is wrong as long as you choose songs that do not damage your spiritual growth.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.