✟332,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Do Christians sin? 1 John 3:9.

Absolutely!! 1 John 1:8 (NKJV), 'If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.'

In 1 John 3:9, John is saying that the one who is born again does not habitually abide in sin. He may fall into it, but he does not practice it as a lifestyle. Here is a word study of these 2 verses~~~> https://carm.org/can-true-christian-sin

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟285,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
I think there is a difference between saying that Christians sin and that we are sinners or that we practicing sinning. The Bible never refers to us as sinners, but rather as saints. That is not to say that we don't still stumble, even frequently, but that our practice is of repentance, not of sinning.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟733,850.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Simul iustus et peccator.

I don't sometimes sin. Everything I do and say is still tainted by sin. My best works are still the product of a sinful man who needs to die daily in repentance, to drown the old Adam, the old man, in remembrance of my Baptism, in repentance. Though I am a new creation, the new man alive in me through faith, the old man still seeks to do crookedly and selfishly. I must struggle against the old man, and look forward in faith and hope to the day when, at Christ's coming, I am raised up to new life in body, and the old man remains dead, gone, forever. The promise and work of God being completed in me, as it is written, "He who began a good work in you is faithful to continue that good work until the day of the Lord Jesus".

Both saint and sinner.

Saint on Christ's account, not my own.
Sinner on my account.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Simul iustus et peccator.

I don't sometimes sin. Everything I do and say is still tainted by sin. My best works are still the product of a sinful man who needs to die daily in repentance, to drown the old Adam, the old man, in remembrance of my Baptism, in repentance. Though I am a new creation, the new man alive in me through faith, the old man still seeks to do crookedly and selfishly. I must struggle against the old man, and look forward in faith and hope to the day when, at Christ's coming, I am raised up to new life in body, and the old man remains dead, gone, forever. The promise and work of God being completed in me, as it is written, "He who began a good work in you is faithful to continue that good work until the day of the Lord Jesus".

Both saint and sinner.

Saint on Christ's account, not my own.
Sinner on my account.

-CryptoLutheran

Insightful post.

Upvote 0

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think there is a difference between saying that Christians sin and that we are sinners or that we practicing sinning. The Bible never refers to us as sinners, but rather as saints. That is not to say that we don't still stumble, even frequently, but that our practice is of repentance, not of sinning.

Thanks!

Upvote 0

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Absolutely!! 1 John 1:8 (NKJV), 'If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.'

In 1 John 3:9, John is saying that the one who is born again does not habitually abide in sin. He may fall into it, but he does not practice it as a lifestyle. Here is a word study of these 2 verses~~~> https://carm.org/can-true-christian-sin

Looks like Matt Slick put the pencil to it.

Upvote 0

Masihi

love based faith is truer than fear based faith
Aug 26, 2010
✟16,803.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I voted no but i admit to not reaching perfection and cannot until the Lord arrives.
What is sin to you? To me it means not making the mark set by Gd.
As a youth, i drank, i smoked, i punched, i viewed inappropriate content, i spoke rudely, i contracted prostitutes, i stole. Now after 20 yrs with Christ, I no longer do any of those things. I have a family, teach my kids the way of the Lord, minister to prisoners, active in church, donate to the needy. You tell me... do i sin now?

Upvote 0

food4thought

Loving truth
Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2002
Watervliet, MI
✟384,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

^^This^^

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums