Visit site
✟47,395.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Liberals
This week in my RCIA group, one of the women asked a question that not even the priest could answer...the question being: why do Roman Catholics make the sign of the cross from left to right? And just as a side note and also out of interest, why then do the Orthodox church make the sign of the cross from right to left? All answers will be much appreciated! Thanks and God Bless :crossrc::crosseo:

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
As far as I was told the left represents darkness and death and the right glory and eternal life. To go from left to right is to move from death to life. A movement symbolic of the Resurrection right in the middle of the sign of redemption and baptism. Now, until Pius V we did go right to left. Above is the theology he espoused for the change. Some believed and still believe that it was done to distinguish Catholic from Orthodox. I can not say if it was one reason or the other or a combination of both.

Subtle differences in symbolism are possible as cultures in East and West differ and grew further apart as the centuries went on.

For the Orthodox (I believe) they go right to left because the right side is often used first in symbolic and liturgical movements. This stems, in part from Christ placing the sheep on the right and the goats on the left. But there are many other examples.

Also, and our brothers and sisters in the Orthodox faiths can answer this better than I, but the priest in an Orthodox church faces the people and moves his hand from left to right. The people trace the very blessing onto themselves and go right to left.

Upvote 0

foxsta

In nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti Amen
Site Supporter
Jun 15, 2006
Australia
Visit site
✟47,395.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Liberals
Well, I'll be off to bed now, but if anyone has any answers, thoughts or ideas, all will be extremely helpful and appreciated! Thanks Davidnic for your answer - very helpful! I'll be sure to pass it on next Monday night. Night all!

Upvote 0

copticorthodoxy

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2005
✟25,993.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The Oriental Orthodox make the sign of the cross from left to right as the Catholics , and we do it like that because left represents darkness and death and the right glory and eternal life as Davidnic said , so we mean that Christ came from up to earth and by his death he moved us from death to glory .

Upvote 0

TexasCatholic

Jun 8, 2004
TEXAS
✟2,249.00
Faith
Catholic
I read somewhere that it is also done to distinguish Eastern and Western Catholics from one another. Personally, I would just assume it was a tradition that evolved regionally, and in the East it evolved one way, in the West, the other.

Also, as I understand it, the Eastern Catholics and Eastern Orthodox make the sign of the cross with 3 fingers rather than the whole hand, right?

-Michael

Upvote 0

Llauralin

Senior Veteran
Mar 23, 2005
Prizren, Kosova
✟10,831.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I read somewhere that it is also done to distinguish Eastern and Western Catholics from one another. Personally, I would just assume it was a tradition that evolved regionally, and in the East it evolved one way, in the West, the other.

Also, as I understand it, the Eastern Catholics and Eastern Orthodox make the sign of the cross with 3 fingers rather than the whole hand, right?

-Michael
That is correct -- three fingers together for the Trinity, and two fingers touching the palm for the two natures of Christ. Apperently it was done opposite (two fingers touching, three to the palm) in Russia for a while some certuries ago, and there was a big debate over it, but I have no idea why.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

foxsta

Site Supporter
Jun 15, 2006
Australia
Visit site
✟47,395.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Liberals
Point North, Make the sign of the cross, and look which direction your hand is moving. Towards Jerusalem. That what I've always been taught. It would also explain why in the East they do it the opposite direction.

I was actually thinking if it had anything to do with the points of the compass...bit of a coincidence! Thanks all!

Upvote 0

SecretOfFatima

Our Lady of Fatima: Song of Solomon 6:10 (NIV)
Oct 21, 2005
Visit site
✟10,438.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Very interesting question...

Does anyone know if the protestants or other churchs also do the sign of the cross?

Does this mean if they did then they would be also following tradition and not just scripture?

May the LORD bless you and keep you

Upvote 0

BillH

Be not afraid!
Apr 3, 2005
Columbia, South Carolina, USA
✟27,958.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Does anyone know if the protestants or other churchs also do the sign of the cross?

Does this mean if they did then they would be also following tradition and not just scripture?

High-church Anglicans do it, but they've never been a Sola Scriptura church.

Actually, back when I was a Lutheran, our church at one point tried to encourage us to do it. It never caught on, and in retrospect, I kinda wonder what the motives were for that.

Upvote 0

redMountian

They'll know we are Christian by our love.
Jan 17, 2006
E-town
✟1,775.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
The r-l and l-r differences have to do with the sign of the cross that the priest makes when he exteends us a blessing. The priestly blessing is always done from l-r, probably because of the death to ressurection symbolism mentioned above. The East cross themselves from r-l in humility before Christ the high priest, and the West cross themselves from l-r in imitation of Christ the high priest.

I haven't heard of protestants making the sign of the cross other than if an individual likes the practice and decides to adopt it him/herself.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TexasCatholic

Jun 8, 2004
TEXAS
✟2,249.00
Faith
Catholic
High-church Anglicans do it, but they've never been a Sola Scriptura church.

Actually, back when I was a Lutheran, our church at one point tried to encourage us to do it. It never caught on, and in retrospect, I kinda wonder what the motives were for that.

I find Lutherans, at least here, quite strange. During my struggling time, I attended service at a Lutheran (LMCS) church, and it was the strangest mix of Southern Baptist and Catholic. That's the exact impression I got... throw a small Southern Baptist church into a blender with a Catholic parish, and what would come out would be this Lutheran church.

This seems strange to me, because Lutheranism comes directly from Catholic tradition, so my thought was that they would be.... closer.

In any case, any pastor who went digging far enough would find the flaw in the separation from the Church and might have been seeking to move a whole congregation back into the Church. It's happened with Anglicans and even a few sola-scriptura churches.

-Michael

Upvote 0

gitlance

Jul 22, 2004
Earth
✟19,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Ok, the East does it right-left because they are following the priest when he turns to give them the blessing.

The west changed it sometime after Pope Gregory by following the priest as he crosses himself when his back is to the people. Try it is Mass next time and see what happens.

I believe the Eastern way is actually the oldest for the laity, but both ways have always been in use in the Church.

Upvote 0

foxsta

Site Supporter
Jun 15, 2006
Australia
Visit site
✟47,395.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Liberals
Maybe being from Australia you do it backwards? Maybe?

I don't see how being Aussie has anything to do with it since we do it the same as Catholics in other countries as far as I know. oh well...I think I've forgotten what I was going to say haha!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.