• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Showing your scars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forgotten

Jesus is way bigger than the cancer in you.
Nov 5, 2008
In the Palm of God's Hand.
✟7,675.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't hide the scars on my arms. People get over it. If they don't... oh well. And, most people are just like "Why would you do that? I could never do that? Does it hurt really bad? Etc..." It gets annoying but I brought it upon myself. Now I just do it on my stomach and legs.

Upvote 0

rawkstar05

Sep 27, 2006
Visit site
✟7,622.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
yeah this really is a tricky subject for me when I was cutting on my lower arm I used a wristband to cover it up, then I moved up to my upper arm so I could still be covered with short sleeves, although sometimes this was a close call so I moved to my thighs. For me its always been really hard because I don't want anyone to know, when I was in my dads wedding I had to wear a sleveless dress and had to show my scars, luckly its been a while so I lied and made up a story and no one questioned me but I still feel like people knew, and I was not comfortable with that. So I don't think you are being selfish but you also may have to explain yourself, and maybe people will or won't believe you and you need to be prepared for that, but I really wouldn't recommend showing fresh wounds to others because that is a major red flag, but if you have scars and are comfortable showing them then do it, but be prepared. Best of luck hun...

Upvote 0

ChildishFears

Aug 22, 2007
Somewhere in the vast Universe.
✟8,457.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I've been cutting my arm for nearly a month, which isn't long but I've been doing it quite often so have a lot of cuts (about 20). A few of my friends have noticed accidentally, but generally I've been wearing a long-sleeved top all the time, which is annoying when it's summer and really hot.

Is it OK to wear short-sleeved t-shirts when people can see the scars? What have your experiences been with people seeing that you've self harmed? I don't want people to feel burdened by the knowledge or treat me differently/judge me because of it.

I realise that the scars won't ever go away completely (some of the cuts are quite deep) so I'm going to have to deal with everyone seeing them at some point. But at the moment it's still very recent (the last time was last night) and it feels harder for people to see and know that it's a current thing.

Is it selfish to let people see because it drags them in to it and makes them feel a responsibility towards me? :confused:

Only two people in my *real* life know that I cut. I'm deathly afraid of my family finding out or people and friends from school because you're right because in a sense it does drag them in a bit and I don't want people whispering "Oh, that's the girl that cuts herself" it would be extremely embarrassing and I'm already paranoid enough about people talking behind my back. I was stupid and I cut at my wrists so I have to wear bands and long sleeved shirts/hoody so people won't see, it's been kinda difficult. And I'm a bit worried about when summer/spring time rolls around and I can't wear long sleeve shirts or I get invited to the beach or something I don't know. I'm just trying to use scar medication now. But enough about me (I always manage to make every post I make about me and my trivial issues lol). I will give my honest opinion and say Yes I think people are going to think differently of you and some will judge, but screw them. When my ex found out I cut, I could tell he looked at me differently from that point on and the same with my friend that found out.

Upvote 0

disconsolatelove

a mind of fragmented thoughts and theories...
Mar 16, 2007
the mitten state.
Visit site
✟15,219.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
for the most part, i'm over my struggle. most people who see my scars don't ask. also, considering the last time i cut i was drunk and angry, the scars don't look entirely intentional (they weren't lined up as neat as usual).

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.