Whitfaloon

Aug 18, 2013
Jamaica
✟7,635.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In my church before the praise team start this section of worship they are advice only 15 mins..Well members of the team are a bit annoyed and turn off about it. They believe worship is not a rush thing and so on. But I believe we should just allow the holy spirit to lead us and when tht is done time wont be an issue.its not about me r u but about God.What you think?

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟798,682.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well, I agree with you; however, we're to be submitted to leadership.

At our church everyone is invited to arrive 30 minutes prior to church formally beginning. During that time, no one leads anything and there is praise, worship, prayer, etc. (Conversations are in the foyer). It really helps to get our minds off ourselves and focus on Yahweh. It makes a big difference when church begins.

Upvote 0

SGM4HIM

Jul 17, 2005
North Florida
✟10,654.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Whitfaloon,

Your worship team should worship it's best in the amount of time given by the pastor. Many pastors do not feel comfortable giving more time them. It takes time and trust.

Help each other on the worship team be their best. Be truthful to each other. Tell the lead guitar player or keyboardist to turn the volume down cause your ears are ringing after the service. And some vocalist sound like they are trying to fill a football stadium with sound. I have seen prideful worship leaders and guitarist leave the worship team over such issues.

Pray for your Pastor and worship leader and worship team often.

Upvote 0

freebiblelessons

Sep 25, 2013
Connecticut
Visit site
✟7,767.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
First off...remember that worship is NOT about music but about serving and communing with God. So the time of praise at the beginning certainly plays a part in that but don't assume that once the music stops that the worship also stops.

Different churches and denominations have differing ways of dealing with music so it is best to submit to your leadership or find a church that is more in line with what you are hoping to do.

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2011
✟10,276.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
At our church everyone is invited to arrive 30 minutes prior to church formally beginning. During that time, no one leads anything and there is praise, worship, prayer, etc. (Conversations are in the foyer). It really helps to get our minds off ourselves and focus on Yahweh. It makes a big difference when church begins.
When this is done, parishioners will come in early and sit. Some will pray and sing, and enjoy the music. Usually the sanctuary is open early for set-up, so there's no harm done. Just ask the pastor if you can use that time to practice.

Upvote 0

USCGrad90

Seeker
Mar 19, 2013
Greenwood, South Carolina, USA
✟15,924.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Some things to consider:
1) I have been in some services where the P&W band is playing on and on because they feel led, but most people in the congregation have passed the point where they want to continue singing and are ready for the Word.
2) I have been to services that last several hours. Many people are motivated and praising, but at the end of the service, may not remember the message or get as much out of it due to being exhasuted mentally and physically.
3) Non-members and guests may not have the same level of excitement and energy as members. Does it make them feel excluded or lost if the music goes on and on?
4) Having a structured order of service and time frame helps to keep the entire service focused and purposeful. If some of us went based on how we feel the Holy Spirit leads, we may miss the opportunity to minister to those in attendance and meet the purpose of the service and message by the Pastor.
Not saying we should not be led, but to witness to as many people as possible, I think we need to be mindful of time and use it purposefully.

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2011
✟10,276.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Also, young children do not last long in the building. Babies need feeding, toddlers need the security of their parents, the elderly need to get off the hard chairs. That might seem too earthly-minded, but we are called to care for each other. It is possible that up to 2/3 of the congregation is not able to make it through a long service well.

Some of the larger churches have multiple services. They have to time the music with precision to make sure the service is done before the next one starts. In those churches, some members will attend more than one service, or stay for two music portions.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

USCGrad90

Seeker
Mar 19, 2013
Greenwood, South Carolina, USA
✟15,924.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
There is a show called Church Rescue on National Geographic. It's about three ministers who help keep struggling churches from closing their doors. In the first episode, they helped the pastor of a small church and he was preaching 4 hour sermons that were not planned out. They showed him that even though he was led by the Spirit - his sermons were not hitting home and he was losing people due to the long time in worship. They convinced him to make his sermons concise and stick to a plan to deliver his message. He found that this worked much better for the congregation and was able to get the point of his sermon accross. This episode was a good demonstration of why it is important to plan the service.

Upvote 0

FuegoPentecostes

Apr 26, 2012
Connecticut
✟15,505.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I believe there should never be a set limit on anything in church . . . it's like limiting God. We have to give a chance for the Holy Spirit to manifest. I've seen times where a person has been singing for 10 minutes and some may wonder why not just stop - but after all that time eventually the Holy Spirit begins to minister. If someone is convicted to sing or play their instrument a long time, let them. Quench not the Spirit.

The only time praise and worship may seem "too long" is if it is in the flesh.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

talitha

Cultivate Honduras
Nov 5, 2004
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Visit site
✟22,601.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I have been in some services where the P&W band is playing on and on because they feel led, but most people in the congregation have passed the point where they want to continue singing and are ready for the Word.
I have guest-led in several different churches, and I have found that this is usually the case when people don't really understand worship and the importance of it - when people are focused too much on the message. My home pastor says that the sermon is for us, while the worship is for God. Sadly, many people behave as if the opposite were true.
Non-members and guests may not have the same level of excitement and energy as members. Does it make them feel excluded or lost if the music goes on and on?
The worship is not for them. It's for God. We need to do what God leads - sometimes that will make people feel comfortable, and sometimes it won't.
4) Having a structured order of service and time frame helps to keep the entire service focused and purposeful....[/QUOTE]
I agree that it is important to minister to individuals, but I don't know that the main weekly worship service is NECESSARILY the best time for that. It could, however be that for many, that is the only time they have. We need to follow the Spirit's leading in that too. Some of the most meaningful services I have been in have been like... worship/prophetic word/personal ministry/worship/personal ministry/worship.... and no "sermon".

Also, young children do not last long in the building. Babies need feeding, toddlers need the security of their parents, the elderly need to get off the hard chairs. That might seem too earthly-minded, but we are called to care for each other. It is possible that up to 2/3 of the congregation is not able to make it through a long service well.
People should feel free in a long service to leave the room and take care of needs. But I think that when the Holy Spirit is truly leading, services will not always be long. In my home church, services are usually two hours long. If the worship and personal ministry goes on for a while, the sermon is postponed to next time. Or if the sermon is earlier in the service, worship may not last as long.

Some of the larger churches have multiple services. They have to time the music with precision to make sure the service is done before the next one starts. In those churches, some members will attend more than one service, or stay for two music portions.
In my English-speaking church here in Honduras, we have to plan carefully, because there is a youth service immediately following ours. When I first started going, and especially when I started helping with the worship, four songs did not seem like enough - but you know, the Lord does what He does in the time that we have, and it's usually pretty good. I still wish there was less emphasis on the one guy standing up and talking, but what can i do?

There is a show called Church Rescue on National Geographic.... They convinced him to make his sermons concise and stick to a plan to deliver his message. He found that this worked much better for the congregation and was able to get the point of his sermon accross. This episode was a good demonstration of why it is important to plan the service.
I've never heard of this show - I'm fascinated with the concept, though! I'd LOVE to be a church rescuer - hahah, well, the hubs and I have done some of that kind of work as missionaries - but I want to do more!

Upvote 0