Should the disciples be amazed or not at the coming resurrection?

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟83,758.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
John 5:

20 For the Father loves the Son and shows him all he does. Yes, and he will show him even greater works than these, so that you will be amazed. 21 For just as the Father raises the dead and gives them life, even so the Son gives life to whom he is pleased to give it.
But then 7 verses later:

28 Do not be amazed at this, for a time is coming when all who are in their graves will hear his voice 29 and come out—those who have done what is good will rise to live, and those who have done what is evil will rise to be condemned.
Should the disciples be amazed or not?

John 5:

20 For the Father loves the Son and shows him all he does. Yes, and he will show him even greater works than these, so that you will be amazed.
This is a general statement about great works that when performed the disciples will be amazed.

28 Do not be amazed at this, for a time is coming when all who are in their graves will hear his voice
This is a specific statement about the miraculous work of resurrection which Jesus has already told them about, so they should not be amazed when it happens.

Should the disciples be amazed or not at the coming resurrection?

No, not specifically.

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,931.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Jesus used that phrasing multiple times to mean "I have shown you something truly amazing, a sign a proof that I am the Messiah, but I will show you even more amazing things in the future".

So then raising anyone from the dead is truly amazing, but in 1 Thess 4:13-18 all the "dead in Christ" are raise by Christ at His coming. John calls this "the first resurrection" in Rev 20:4-6

• Useful
Reactions: tonychanyt
Upvote 0