Should New Years resolutions be encouraged?

disciple2011

Jun 5, 2011
✟16,489.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
It seems like yo yo dieters and other well meaning people embark on short motivational sprees every New Years. Are these healthy ways of exercising will power or are they merely exercises in futility that lead to heartache, weight gain and sore bodies?

I made a New Year's Resolution in 1983 to not make New Year's Resolutions.

Kept it ever since.

But then I give up Lent for Lent every year.

Upvote 0

Paradoxum

Liberty, Equality, Solidarity!
Sep 16, 2011
✟28,188.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I always disliked being told by teachers to make a new years resolution. I had nothing big I wanted to change, so don't tell me I have to change sometimes. :p

I'm considering more exercise for this year... I'll have to see how I feel. :D

(I agree with Keith... they can be good times to decide to make a lifestyle change, as it gives a clear point for change).

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,867.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I always disliked being told by teachers to make a new years resolution. I had nothing big I wanted to change, so don't tell me I have to change sometimes. :p

I'm considering more exercise for this year... I'll have to see how I feel. :D

(I agree with Keith... they can be good times to decide to make a lifestyle change, as it gives a clear point for change).

Thank you twice. It is nice to have people agree with me, but even more for giving a concrete example for why I said mildly.

People being pushed into New Years resolutions is usually bad.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,208,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
New years resolutions are great for allowing people to procrastinate and put off till January, what they should be doing in May lol.

"I'll make it my new years resolution to stop smoking" says the smoker in May
"I'll make it my resolution to lose weight" says the fat guy in September

...until New Years arrives, then it allows people to practice the fine art of back peddling and excuse making.

If there's something in your life that needs to change that's so important that it requires a resolution, it should be addressed at the time of need...picking New Years day is just arbitrary in my opinion.

Upvote 0

selfinflikted

Under Deck
Jul 13, 2006
✟24,014.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
If there's something in your life that needs to change that's so important that it requires a resolution, it should be addressed at the time of need...picking New Years day is just arbitrary in my opinion.

Well, I don't think it's arbitrary. It's a brand new year, therefore a "new beginning." I do agree, though, that if there is something that needs to be changed, I say do it NOW instead of waiting.

Upvote 0

QueSeraSera

Training Wheels
Oct 7, 2013
In a good place
✟16,716.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I do think its helpful for some people because its a marker . An easy to remember date LOL!And the term "new year" psychologically can be encouraging .

I just don't know how much more if any success there is long term vowing a new years resolution than waking up any old day deciding to turn over a new leaf.

Change happens internally first and with determination over the long term not because of the date on a calendar. If it helps ? It could but I don't think anymore than your birthday ,the birth of a child ,the death of a loved one etc.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

WatchmansMoon

Jul 2, 2013
✟7,626.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Doesn't God call us in Scripture to make vows and covenants with Him? Why then would it be seen as bad somehow to make new year's resolutions, especially if we're rosolving to know Him more, or spend more time in prayer or study of the Bible? Maybe a key to keep in mind is remembering to depend on God to help us to keep the resolutions, and not trust in our own strength. And in that, may He be glorified.

Upvote 0

Rajni

☯ Ego ad Eum pertinent ☯
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2007
Visit site
✟1,242,780.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
It seems like yo yo dieters and other well meaning people embark on short motivational sprees every New Years. Are these healthy ways of exercising will power or are they merely exercises in futility that lead to heartache, weight gain and sore bodies?
I'm not really keen on the whole resolution thing anymore – if ever I was.

I prefer just taking it one day at a time and letting my evolution unfold
naturally rather than according to the calendar.

Doesn't God call us in Scripture to make vows and covenants with Him? Why then would it be seen as bad somehow to make new year's resolutions, especially if we're rosolving to know Him more, or spend more time in prayer or study of the Bible? Maybe a key to keep in mind is remembering to depend on God to help us to keep the resolutions, and not trust in our own strength. And in that, may He be glorified.
Jesus actually advised against making vows (see Matthew 5:33-37).

Which makes sense, since we don't really know for certain what the
future will bring that we could declare definitively what we will or
will not be doing at that point in time.

-

Upvote 0

Paradoxum

Liberty, Equality, Solidarity!
Sep 16, 2011
✟28,188.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Thank you twice. It is nice to have people agree with me, but even more for giving a concrete example for why I said mildly.

People being pushed into New Years resolutions is usually bad.

:thumbsup: :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums